Campaign finance office to look into 'Write Fenty In' signs

Washington Post Editors

The Office of Campaign Finance will hold a closed-door hearing Wednesday to begin investigating complaints that the Write Fenty In campaign is illegally using Fenty 2010 yard signs.

Wesley Williams, a spokesman for the Office of Campaign Finance, confirmed his office had received complaints so a hearing has been scheduled. He declined further comment.

According to Democratic leaders, several green and white signs in support of Mayor Adrian M. Fenty at early voting locations appear to have come from Fenty's unsuccessful primary campaign. In some cases, paper with the words "write-in" has been posted on Fenty 2010 signs, Democratic leaders said.

The Save DC Now political committee heads the Write Fenty In campaign. Supporters of presumptive mayor-elect D.C. Council member Vincent C. Gray say that under campaign finance laws, the write-in group should have to purchase its own signs.

Fenty has officially endorsed Gray in the Nov. 2 general election. But the mayor has refused to personally request that the leaders of the write-in effort stop their campaign. It's unclear how the write-in campaign obtained the signs, but several activists who worked on Fenty's primary campaign head the write-in effort.

Over the weekend, Save DC Now robo-called non-affiliated voters in the District urging them to write-in Fenty.

It's unclear if the Gray campaign is responsible for the complaint. But Frederick Butler, a spokesman for Write Fenty In, said the complaints are a "sign of desperation" from the Gray campaign.

Butler said the signs are an in-kind donation, noting they are running a campaign on a shoe-string budget.

"We are using the signs because they were given to us by our supporters and we need it for our candidate," Butler said. "If we are just a Web site, and the Gray campaign has nothing to worry about, why are they submitting these kinds of complaints...It's much to do about nothing."

--Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  | October 26, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election, Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Durso to leave hotel association for a 'new chapter in my life'
Next: Nickles readies subpoena for Harry Thomas

Comments

The WriteInFenty campaign should be required to follow the law. I was at the Ward 6 early voting location, the old Hines Junior High School building and saw Jose Lopez putting up old fenty campaign yard signs at 4:00 pm yesterday. He has cut off the disclaimer for the fenty campaign committee which is at the bottom of campaign signs. They should be fined for each sign violation like Anthony Williams mayoral campaign was fined for the bogus petition signatures. I think that was $225,000.

Posted by: bill121 | October 26, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bill121 | October 26, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I hear the donation of the signs from a supporter has been listed on their latest financial report. This is legal. Yawn...NON STORY!

Posted by: theleakdc202 | October 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

In-Kind Contributions
(DC Official Code § 1-1101.01(6)(A))
In-kind contributions (i.e., goods and services provided to a political committee or candidate) are treated as any other contribution and are subject to contribution limits

Posted by: lilscooby09 | October 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

so just make sure that no Fenty supporter donates $2,000 worth of Fenty signs and make sure a cab driver doesn't give $2,000 worth for free rides for Gray supporters.

simple enough no?

Posted by: DCref | October 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree...But the political backlash from giving "free rides" is a lot stronger than recycling signs... So, in essence if this is a fight for looking shady in the media the Gray camp just lost. A bunch of people who believe the government owes them something and that they should be given jobs are getting free rides??? Comical.

Posted by: theleakdc202 | October 26, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

agree with @theleak that it looks much worse.

I would also like to point out @bill121 that his name is Josh Lopez not jose... Not sure what he was trying to say with that one

so I am going to assess a -923824 penalty from bill

Posted by: DCref | October 26, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Is the Gray team really "so" worried about this that they have to say anything? I mean, how pathetic. Gray must actually be worried if he has to even acknowledge the write in movement.

Posted by: Nosh1 | October 26, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

bill121....
If the disclaimer is cut off or covered...
then wherein lies the problem.

and thank you DC Ref.. and theleakdc202 and
Nosh1.

By the way, did anyone hear if Mr. Gray has raised the $25,000 he asked for in donations so that he could stop the Write In??

Posted by: pdv1 | October 26, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

No, but I heard him on the radio saying he wished the Mayor would tell them to stop. Basically ordering the Mayor to tell the city to relinquish their constitutional right and bow down and kiss the mf'ing ring...lol. Gray is delusional. His one city campaign has actually divided the city. Him trumping around like this thing is a sealed deal just makes the voters in this city turn out against him. Hell, I called four of my neighbors and encouraged them to vote after the Cheh town hall...LOL

Posted by: theleakdc202 | October 26, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"It's unclear if the Gray campaign is responsible for the complaint."

If it's unclear, why mention it -- except to raise the possiblity in people's minds.

Tim Craig is losing credibility by the minute.

Posted by: efavorite | October 26, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The prob w/the signs is that it says paid for by...and its not true.

I think its a nonissue too. I think the less u talk about it the better. I'm sooo ready for this election season to be over!!

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | October 26, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

=======
He was not ordering him to do anything; he was agreeing with him that it should stop. Fenty said it should stop first. He said he was done correct?

SO stop being sore losers. You lost!! PERIOD. The votes are in and will be in again on Nov. 2!! Don’t very much care if you agree with us or not. But we will not be ignored or forgotten. The VAST MAJORITY of us are middle class, hard working and not sitting on our behinds collecting government checks and waiting on jobs. We are just like all of you. We recognized that Fenty was catering to the majority WASP population of our city, yet we still make up 55% of DC’s population – Gentrification is not sending us anywhere, we will be right here as we have been for 60 years. We spoke up and voted him out now let’s move on.

Posted by: love2much SE | October 26, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

love2much SE
I refuse to "move on" for exactly the reasons you stated. Sore losers? More like sore winners. I can write myself in if I want. I have never seen a law that says I have to vote for a twitchy 67 year old man

Posted by: nmoses | October 26, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The signs are irrelevant. I walked right by them at Hines and voted for Vince Gray and to make the Attorney General an elected position.

These write in folks are eerily reminiscent of the jaded Hillary Clinton crew following the Democratic primary.

A campaign without a candidate. Just pathetic.

Thank You Mayor Williams for your respecting the wishes of Adrian Fenty and throwing your support behind the democratic nominee.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 26, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

These folks sound like true Fenty groupies. R your jobs in jeopardy. LOL

Just can't get enough of Fenty. They just love this write-in talk. What are you going to do the day after 11/2. Start a write-in campaign for 2012.

Posted by: guylady201001 | October 26, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

These folks sound like true Fenty groupies. R your jobs in jeopardy. LOL

You folks make Palin sound intelligent.

Posted by: guylady201001 | October 26, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@guylady201001: The short answer is 'yes' many of the write fenty in folks are currently on the District payroll in positions that they were appointed to but did not compete for. Come November they are all required to tender their resignation. They are literally in a race for their financial life. And they say black folks simply want a "hand out". They are the epitome of District taxpayer leeches.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 26, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Many of Fenty's supporters are pathetic and just want let go of the fact, King Fenty loss the Democratic primary. At the Ward 4 Town Hall meeting tonight, Josh Lopez was standing in the back with his camera phone taking pictures. I don't know what went down, but he was asked to leave People's Congregational Church. Joshua Lopez is a Guatemalan American and he's made a lot of enemies in Ward 4, particularly with black voters. This 26 year old kid don't know when to let go, but he will soon learn the hard way. Vincent Gray will be the next mayor of the District of Columbia. I saw another of Fenty's supporters a tonight's Ward 4 Town Hall meeting. I was surprised to see the elderly woman there because she hates Vincent Gray for whatever reason. She didn't vote for him as the D.C. Council Chairman. She voted for Kathy Patterson. A Gray worker asked to put a Gray sticker on this old hag and she raised her voice by saying no.

I voted on October 19th at the Board of Elections for Vincent Gray. I too will be glad when this madness is over and hopefully, the city can heal. I have learned during this mayoral election, there is a lot of bitter racist whites living in the District of Columbia. I am not shocked by their racist behavior, because D.C. is a southern town and has always been segregated.

Native Washingtonian
1973 Mackin Catholic Senior High School
1977 Howard University
1983 Georgetown University
Ward 4 Resident

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 26, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@guylady201001 and @concernedaboutdc (againnnnn)

I am not on the govt payroll. Just saying. I am guessing most people in Fenty admin are probably democrats not the unaffiliated or gop members that this write in campaign are looking to for votes....

so yea as always

-DCref
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously"

Posted by: DCref | October 26, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I left the Ward 4 Town Hall meeting early tonight and walking back to my car, I found a WriteInFenty card on my driver's side window. It states, paid for by Save D.C Now. Junius Carter, Treasurer.

I am glad I didn't see the person putting this trash on my car because I might have gone postal on their a%%. LOL LOL

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 26, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

concernedaboutdc, you should have seen Ward 4 Councilmember Muriel Bowser tonight at the Town Hall meeting in Ward 4. This is the woman who campaigned for King Fenty in Ward 4 and was very unprofessional at the Ward 4 straw poll. She praised Vincent Gray and stated, he will be the next mayor of the District. A sixtish black woman from Shepherd Park Ward 4 was sitting next to me. She said, when she see's Bowser, she will pull her aside and tell her off.

I guess King Fenty was in DuPont Circle tonight with the white gays running in the high heel race with D.C. Councilmembers Jack Evans, Jim Graham, and David Catania. All three probably were wear red pumps on 17th Street, NW. LOL LOL Some Ward 4 residents are saying, Bowser is Fenty in Drag.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 26, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@ward4... really? just going to say... Really?!!?!

I can put Native Washingtonian at the bottom of my posts too does that earn me extra points? Or should I put my Georgetown Education there, even more credibility?

In the very same post that you write "there is a lot of bitter racist whites living in the District of Columbia. I am not shocked by their racist behavior.." YOU Comment on Josh Lopez's Guatemalan-American heritage, why does that matter? Or that 3 Councilmembers and the Mayor are supporting the LGBTQ community?

How dare an elderly woman not put on a Gray sticker. How dare she vote for someone else or "hate" Vincent Gray. How dare she!

hold up... how have you been describing your feelings towards Mayor Fenty? Would you say your dialogue on these posts have been constructive or civil?

Throwing stones in a glass house?

-DCref
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously"

Posted by: DCref | October 26, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

DCref, please put the crack pipe or Vodka bottle down. I didn't slander anyone. Josh Lopez is Guatemalan American. I am sure, the 3 white Councilmembers I mention went to Dupont Circle to see a majority of white gay men dress up like women and run down 17th Street, NW in high heels. I don't have anything against gays or lesbians. What I do have a problem with is men acting like women and wanting to wear women clothes. These men were born men with a man's private part. If you are going to be gay still act like a man, not a darn woman.

On the issue of King Fenty, Adrian is an idiot and he pimped blacks in Ward 4 to get our votes to run against former Ward 4 Councilmember Charlene Drew-Jarvis. In my opinion, Adrian Fenty doesn't identify himself as a black man nor do he have any black ancestry in this country. I have never heard Adrian identify himself as being a black man. Remember, it was whites and still is whites that enforce the one drop blood rule in this country. Former U.S. Congressman Adam Clayton Powell was very light or fair skin with straight black hair. The man looked like a white European man, but Adam Clayton Powell, the former New York Congressman identified himself as a colored. This was the term they used back in the 40's referring to blacks. All the bad karma coming King Fenty's way, he deserves it. He will never repair the damage with the black Washington community. Many blacks here in Ward 4 hate Adrian Fenty's guts and most don't care if they never see him again in life. Guess what, I am one of these people. Now please go crawl back under the bridge you came from.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 27, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

DCref, I am a native Washingtonian and I a very proud to be a native of this city. I am not a transplant from middle America. I was born in the old Freedmans Hospital, now Howard University Hospital in the 50's in segregated Washington. You wouldn't know about this or you probably don't know the history of this city. Foggy Bottom and Georgetown use to be all black communities at one time until gentrification came and displaced them.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 27, 2010 1:59 AM | Report abuse

@DCRef:

Unfortunately for them, many of the write fenty in folks are not so anonymous with their online pseudonyms. They are easily identifiable and I know, MANY, who are currently in Excepted Service (appointed) positions within the District government.

Their party affiliation is irrelevant. That does not change the fact that they are in high paying positions in the District Government that they were appointed to, but did not compete for, by Adrian Fenty. They are political appointees whose career is riding on this campaign with no candidate.

These appointees are required to tender their resignation and if it is determined that the next administration wants to keep them, their resignation will not be accepted. Adrian Fenty started this practice. Based on the professional credentials of many of these folks, they don't stand a hope or a prayer of keeping these jobs in a different administration.

They, in effect, are recipients of political welfare.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Since Fenty pimped the black vote to win in 2000 and 2004 and 06? Three elections, really?!? really?!? You get pissed at LGBTQ men for identifying themselves but then get upset that Fenty didn't say he was black enough? Would you have liked for him to end every speech, "Thank you for your time, I am a proud black man" ?

But I see the positive - you like a tradition started by Fenty. Something taken from White Administrations. By the way it is not required by law, the executive asks for their resignation letters and determines wether to accept them or not and thus allows the executive to save face rather than firing the person.

Both of you - this is the problem you will see over the next 5 years. MORE TRANSPLANTS WILL COME!!! oh no how scary... I was born in this city and while I wasn't born in the 50's, I have done my homework because I am a proud native son of the district.

I was originally commenting on how @ward4's lack of civility and respect here undermines you just a bit while criticizing others who happen to stoop to your level. I also guess that they didn't teach @ward4 how to look up sources during his time at Georgetown and thus the irony of the quote is lost (especially w/ the crack pipe/vodka/bridge comments)

-DCref
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously"

Posted by: DCref | October 27, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

and by "White Administrations" I apologize I meant to say "White House administrations".. ex: see The West Wing

-DCref
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously"

Posted by: DCref | October 27, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Dear DC Ref:
fyi - WARD4DC used the same terminology to me.. crack pipe, vodka, crawl under bridge.

Don't worry, he is only advocating the "divide of the city, and slandering" that Mr. Gray and his campaigners also advocate.

and ps. Adam Clayton Powell was also censured from Congress.

so, check the history books and references before utilizing them.(WARD 4DC)

ps- i am also Ward 4.. and am very happy with the work of mr. Fenty , and will write him in as my freedom of having a vote to cast.

Posted by: pdv1 | October 27, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Truisms in life: What is good for the goose is good for the gander. What goes around comes around.

In this election, Chairman Gray did an excellent job of convincing Black voters to cut off their nose to spite their face. In the end, however, he gets to be Mayor and the District gets disfigured.

Unfortunately, because precident has been set, Gray is going to be slandered (though I suspect there will be plenty of truth to it) and investigated into the ground. And, there is no way possible for him to seperate himself from even the smallest scandal. The pro-bono "faux investigation" and City Paper blogs are the new tools.

Be carful what you ask for my ABF friends...you might just get it. In this case, you did. DC just crapped on the most effective executive that it ever had for nothing more than tabloid-ish gossip and excessive accomplishment. And, it showed that its vote can be bought by special interest.

Thus, you can forget voting rights. You can forget ever getting a vote in Congress. And, DC most likely will get a version of the control board if the Rep take congress.

That is not going to be great for unemployment in wards 7 & 8. That is not going to help our "One City."

Posted by: politicalrealist | October 27, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Still so much hate coming from these Gray supporters, this is really a destructive political campaign. Recycling the Fenty signs is good for the environment. Those who are going to write-in Fenty feel strongly and a sign is not the big influence. Gray supporters should try to say something positive about their candidate and move on.

Posted by: voter20 | October 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

DCRef said: "@concernedaboutdc -I expect you to throw a fit over every person appointed to a position by gray, just saying since thats what you are doing here. Appointed positions are just that, you appoint the person that you want to work there. Gray will do it, every administration will do it. But I expect you at every confirmation hearing ok?"
_______________________________

Response: I don't throw fits. Your responses to everyone suggest that this is your strong point.

I clearly understand that appointee positions are part and parcel to politics. Local, State and National levels. However, when it comes to the people appointed to those positions, credentials still matters, particularly when those positions are being underwritten with taxpayer dollars (you disagree)? Thus, I have no problems with incoming politicians requesting all appointees to tender their resignation. It would be to the detriment of the incoming politician to retain or appoint to those positions people who are well-connected though not qualified to carry out the functions of the job. They are held accountable in the same way that Mayor Fenty was just held accountable.

To the point of this piece, there are people who are a part of this "campaign without a candidate", who CURRENTLY sit in these appointee positions who fear they will not be reappointed with good reason. They are not qualified to carry out the work they are paid to do. That is a disservice to the people of the District, a disservice that would be continued if the next administration retained them.

They are in a fight for their livlihood, however, the pathetic part if the matter is that, if they are so qualified to be in these jobs, why make oneself look so desperate as to try to force a man who has conceded the job to accept a nomination that he has already said he wouldn't accept?

Just saying...

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

DCref wrote: Ok it's good to know that Gray supporters do not care for the LGBTQ community. Gender Identity or expression is something that won't be tolerated by the group that can't stand racists either, interesting. That will go over well I am sure.

DCref, your comment is typical of white gay males. Please don't get me started on how racist and segregated the gay community is. Many of the gay white males in D.C. walk around as if they have a chip on their shoulders. Watching the trash on Logo Network, A List New Yorkers is all white Queens acting like they are God's gift to the world. Until white gay men be more inclusive of black gay men and other darker men of color, the gay community will continue to be segregrated. For the record, white gay men are not a minority. They still are of the majority white race in America.

How many personal profiles on gay websites exclude blacks or asians or latinos, saying things like, "no offense, no black guys" or "no asians please." Flipping through your average gay magazine, how many models of color do you see? The ethnocentrism of the gay community in America is appalling.

Maybe think twice next time you write some innocuous-seeming comment about your racial preferences on adam4adam or whatever stupid website you go whoring around on. We can't expect equal rights from the mainstream if we can't treat other minorities with the same humanity we're striving towards.

Posted by: mmatthews1 | October 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

DCref, take a look at the all white high heel race on 17th Street, NW. You don't see one gay black, West Indian, Puerto Rican, Afro Cuban, or Dominican man running in this all white Queen race.

Posted by: mmatthews1 | October 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

yes- voter 20- recycling, as bike lanes, etc are good for DC.

YES, CONCERNEDABOUTDC .. you do throw fits, on a daily basis.. first you wanted Ms RHEE on the first bus out of town.. then you get mad that she is leaving early.. it is a daily occurence for you (YES DCREF)

also - please note that many political appointees also are volunteers.. and therefore, a credit to their donation of time for the city... and if they believe in a Write in.. so be it.

OH, quick question for WARD4DC and Concernedabout dc.. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID ANY VOLUNTEER WORK FOR THE CITY???
YOU SEEM TO HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO WRITE ON THIS BLOG.. HOW ABOUT GOING OUT AND HELPING SOMEONE ON A DAILY BASIS.. OR EVEN ONCE A WEEK????????

FYI - MMATHEWS1 - someone points out the
diversity of the Fenty administration and you note that he must be a white gay male?
I am sorry you are not allowed on some of the gay websites but i don't think you should make an assumption about other bloggers .. OR that they might be whoring around (how slanderous)..(same comment to Ward4DC .. who said i also did crack and drank vodka.. yet i don't touch either)..

I do note that the Fenty supporters do not seem to slander or make appalling negative statements about others... Very true to the form of the campaigners during the primary.

You are setting the pace for dividing the city, as did the Gray Campaign, and for the next 4 years.

Posted by: pdv1 | October 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@mmatthews1: Interesting post. Didn't know the orientation of DCRef. If, in fact he is white and gay. That would explain alot, but more alarming, if that is so, is that he failed to acknowledge the endorsement of Vincent Gray by the Gertrude Stein Democratic Club.

Do tell, there are white gays, a social minority, that are prejudiced against gay people of color, social minority in orientation but color majority along the lines of race (if we classify all "of color" people to be "other than white").

Seriously, I have actually heard that before but never in the detail that you have described. People, even heterosexual are entitled to their personal preferences, but you color white gays to be very shallow and empty creatures. Worse even than their hetro counterparts.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually MMatthews1.. where you there?

There was plenty of diversity..
Do you want to blame the WaPO for not taking the correct pictures?

Posted by: pdv1 | October 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Dear M Matthews./...

Posted by: pdv1 | October 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Here's a picture of Mayor Fenty at the all white gay high heel race last night.

Posted by: mmatthews1 | October 27, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Is Pvd1 and DCRef, one and the same person? Sybil? One answers as if they are the other.

Anyhow, what you have just posted is "fit-like". I, today like always, am just stating an opinion, one that you clearly don't agree with, and because you don't agree with it you try very hard to minimize it. I know your type.

I proudly admit that I never bought into Chancellor Rhee being the diety of public school reform. I don't people worship like her loyal followers. I know that reform in DCPS began before her, continued under her, and will continue after her. I have never grieved over her leaving early. The sooner the better, in my opinion. Kaya, her personal appointee, can hold the fort down. She did most of the ground work anyway, but in a more 'human' way.

To volunteerism. I do it all the time. God knows. There are three young African American young people, graduating seniors, in my community that, even under "Your Goddess" Chancellor Rhee, have fallen between the cracks and have been moved through the system though woefully unprepared for post secondary life. I have made it my business to mentor them,giving them advice that will point them in the direction toward a productive life. This is everyday. I didn't need an "organization" to do that.

On political appointees:

You are right, some appointees are volunteers, but the ones that are a part of this write in campaign are NOT 'volunteers'. They are in highly paid ($100k+)positions that they are desperate to keep. They know very well they are not 'qualified' to gain such a position on the private market. Should, then, the Distric be STUCK with them? I say no.

Irrespective of your diatribes and attempts at insults, I intend to hold Vincent Gray, his Administration AND the Council accountable to responsible government. NOBODY gets a pass. I did so with Williams, then Fenty, and will always do so. Public service is a privilege. The District has no Kings OR Queens.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

PDV1, no I was not at the mostly white gay high heel race. I assume, you are gay, white, and was there? Apparently, you too have too much time on your hand to be blogging on this blog. The kettle calling the pot black. How ridiculous.

I do know, Adrian Fenty has a lot of arrogant gay white males working in his administration. Some of these men have belittled black residents by their responses to them. Adrian Fenty has insulted many in the black community and this is what he's no longer popular in our community. I do know, this mayoral race has brought out how racist whites are in the District. The same happen during the Presidential primary. Many white Democrats supported Hillary Clinton because they refused to vote for Obama because he's black. Once Obama got the Democratic nomination, many white Democrats became bitter and anger like the whites in the District of Columbia.

Ward 1 D.C. Resident

Posted by: mmatthews1 | October 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

LOL@concernedaboutdc

The Cybil comment is funny. I think, these two are the same and he is white and gay.

I too am gay, but I am black, therefore this makes me inferior in white America and in the white gay community.

Posted by: mmatthews1 | October 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Concernedaboutdc, you might find this article interesting as a heterosexual black male.

Racist White Gay Power Elite

Posted by: mmatthews1 | October 27, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank you all....
Actually i do not know DCREF.. although i applaud many of his statements.
Thank you Matthews.. but I am also not gay.. but do support the gay community.. (again.. your remarks are unfounded).

I am glad you are mentoring.. but with your approach to life that could be very dangerous ...

and Mattews1. if your promote that you are inferior. then you and others will believe it.

and as far as calling the kettle black..
WOW _ broad statement again...
I volunteer for 3 organizations.. and vow personally to 1 random act of kindness daily...
TRY IT

Posted by: pdv1 | October 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and i forgot.. I did donate my yard signs to the Write In Fenty campaign..
and see no reason that they can't use them with the proper editing.

Posted by: pdv1 | October 27, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

the saying goes, assumptions make an a...

I do not identify with the LGBTQ community, I am a straight male but that is not the point - I would like to consider myself an ally. Nor do I consider myself white.

I acknowledge there are segments within any community LGBTQ or otherwise but if you look at my posts they are commenting on the tone being set by supporters who highlight that their candidate's moto was "one city."

If we would like to get back to the original article it is about yard signs. If you want to hold the write in campaign accountable for the yard signs then do the same for the gray campaign and the taxi rides. Instead I just see @concerned or @ward4 mocking people who want to vote their minds and not with a political party.

Just don't hold yourself in higher regard if they were to disagree with you by demeaning their argument. I think there is a rally in DC for something like this on Saturday.

-DCref
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously"

Posted by: DCref | October 27, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@pdv1: I work with these young people everyday after work. I would say that (times 3) trumps your 1 kind act a day. I presume that kindness doesn't translate to your online blogging. I don't need three "organizations" to do it.

Ever heard of "lifting as we climb" or "each on teach one". In my community, at this day in time, that is more important than it has ever been before. I don't need other "chartible" interests. African Americans make up 95% of the DCPS school population. School reform is not the "sexy topic of the day" with me. It is a hard core reality. I know that fixing it is bigger than one person, it was bigger than Janey, is bigger than Rhee, and will be bigger than her predecessor. It will require a dramatic shift in thinking parents, teachers, principals, school administrators and city leaders. And, importantly, it requires a transformational leader that is capable of building bridges among these key stakeholders NOT tear them down. I just didn't, and don't, see Rhee as a transformational leader. Her style was destined to destroy her efforts, and reform right along with it.

Janey fired more teachers, and proposed closing more schools than Rhee, and caught hades from the school board and parents for doing it. But, because he included them all in the process, I had no quarrel with what he did. He fired teachers that were not certified, who can argue with that?

I believe in freedom of speech. I don't much care about the write (or stamp) fenty in activities. I just know that there is a selfish alterier motive for many of it's supporters. It's not about keeping the District moving forward, it is, for them, "KEEP ME IN MY JOB!".

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

As a person who supports and applauds those they pursue post-secondary degrees, please understand that a college degree does not always equate common sense. There is no need to tout your educational credentials in simple blog conversation that has nothing to do with academia. Red herring and other philosophical fallacies only dilute the chance for healthy dialogue. Might I also point out that attempting to "trump" someone's record of volunteerism sounds a bit well, arrogant? Whether you slop soups into cups on Sundays or recycle paper; anything a person does to make their community a better place is commendable.

Now back to the topic....
I am a ward 8 resident who is not gay, nor white, nor rich, nor a DC government employee, nor am I uneducated. I can say that I did write in Adrian Fenty. I do not believe a person has to vote democrat simply because their party is democrat. I certainly do not appreciate Gray's pleas for everyone to line up because they are democrat and support him. Yes, definitely appalled at that he refuses to acknowledge that surprise, not everyone in DC is a democrat and by gosh, may want to conduct their civic duty of voting as they see fit. After analyzing Gray's complete record with DHS, Covenant House, Ward 7 Councilmember, and as Chair of City Council, I have not found one compelling reason to vote for him. Perhaps another person may feel totally differently than me and believe me, I am okay with that. I would like to suggest that people not belittle each other simply based on their political preferences. I rather read jabs targeted at flaws in someone’s analysis than “crawl back under the bridge.” Come to think of it, I might as well address the notion that ONLY born and bred Washingtonians can understand DC politics, community issues, and be adept at proposing workable solutions.

Good day!

Posted by: Amanda_Broadnax | October 27, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey "Write In Fenty" people: The candidate you support has already thrown his support behind Vincent Gray. Fenty has moved on. You should too!

Posted by: UrbanDweller | October 27, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Amanda...

Posted by: pdv1 | October 27, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Can't we all get along? I am a white, native Washingtonian. I have to admit, I did not vote for Fenty, because I thought he was too inexperienced (and I think I was right about that). My African American friends voted for Fenty and he made them all sorts of promises, and he didn't produce. This is why African Americans in D.C. are totally pissed at Fenty. He was a native Washingtonian and he promised to bring about positive change, which included (not excluded) them in the process. What happened? In Fire/EMS for example, Fenty promised to seperate the Fire Department from Emergency Medical Services. The Fire Department is mostly white and male. EMS is more diverse. Despite these promises, Fire/EMS remained unified. Fenty made similar promises to lots of people all over the city, some of them in conflict with each other. When he became Mayor,he basically threw all these promises to the winds. He dissed the people who brought him to the "dance" and how could he expect to get another invitation? He didn't do what he said he would do.

Posted by: tacard1 | October 27, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@Amanda: You have a right to your opinion. I just don't share it. From me in Ward 7 to you in Ward 8. BTW, I didn't pound my chest about volunteerism, I was responding to a question, read higher (in the even you were addressing that to me)

Carrying on...

I took the time to go to candidate Gray's page to read about him and where he wants to take the city. I liked what I read and I didn't like the constant ethical lapses of the incumbent. I just can't trust him. So, I chose Gray.

That simple.

I also voted to make the Attorney General an ELECTED position.

I think this is a big issue getting lost in this general election.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank You tacard1...

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

concernaboutdc,
Please, let us not begin a discussion by telling each other what we are already know or should know. Case in point: that I have a right to my opinion. I am fully aware of that fact and even acknowledged how I like that people may not agree with me. Now that that point has been clarified. I want to applaud you for picking up on the fact that I was talking about you in regards to the volunteerism.

See when you make statements such as these, it is hard for me (again, hence the opinion being referenced to as me)to interpret that as anything other than bragging. Now whether I'm wrong or right is of little concern to me. I merely pointed out an observation. Now if you want to dicuss the write in movement, I'm game. Otherwise, it was nice blogging with you.

pvd1- Your welcome. Relying on your positive comments on here, I'm sure the organizations you serve value you.

Posted by: Amanda_Broadnax | October 27, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear, when I said this "Come to think of it, I might as well address the notion that ONLY born and bred Washingtonians can understand DC politics, community issues, and be adept at proposing workable solutions, " I meant to say that Native Washingtonians are NOT the only ones capable to care about and be committed to DC.

Posted by: Amanda_Broadnax | October 27, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

to Ward4DC: And Anacostia and Congress Heights used to be majority White. Before Foggy bottom was Black it was White--German and Irish immigrants. At one time Petworth was White. What's your point?

I know a lot of White native Washingtonians--some born and raised in Anacostia.

I'm a Ward 6 resident, am White, can't stand Fenty and have supported Gray all along. I'm also a DCPS teacher in Anacostia and don't like Rhee either.

Labeling all White DC residents as racist is like labeling all young Black males criminals. It just ain't so.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | October 27, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

It was time for "CHANGE" at the Wilson Building in the mayor's office.

Mayor Adrian Fenty fooled everyone with his phony populism and everyone thought he was Mr. Nice Guy, man of the people. I knew he was a disaster, when in the first debate at UDC he was unable to name the three credit rating agencies! Let's get with it people, when are we as voters going to start electing politicians for their intellectual capabilities and not because they make us feel good? Good on all of you DC residents who voted for Mr. Clean, now the city will once again go down the drain under his leadership...I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Bye Bye Mayor Adrian M. Fenty aka King Adrian Malik Fenty. Once you officially leave office, please take Peter Nickles aka Grandpa Munster, Ron Moten, Linda Argo, Gabe Klein, Ron Austin, Neil Albert, Janice Quintana, and Valerie Santos alone with you. All should send their Resumes to New York City to Mayor Bloomberg.

politicalrealist aka DCref, you both have been so far up Fenty's a%% during this entire campaign. Fenty pandered to white D.C. voters and he ignored black D.C. voters. The saddest part, it was the black vote that got Fenty elected. On the issue of gay white males living in the District, I have found most to be somewhat arrogant and they appear not to like blacks that live in this city. Many moved here from middle America after the liberal left wing D.C. Council passed gay marriage. I am a Democrat, but I hope the Republicans become the majority again in Congress. Once this happen, D.C. draconian laws and the gay marriage act will be appealed.

I have heard, Mayor Fenty angered black gays and lesbians by ignoring the Black Gay Pride event, but he has constantly attended the mostly white Capital Pride and the High Heel race.

Posted by: KappaNupe | October 27, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

D.C. draconian "GUN" laws and the gay marriage act will be appealed by the Republicans, once they regain the majority in Congress. Both the Democrats and Republicans suck and voter turnout amongst black Democrats will be low.

Posted by: KappaNupe | October 27, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Amanda, I tried to GIVE you the benefit of the doubt that you are just the average non affiliated "person" posting an opinion, BUT, you are making it grossly clear that you ARE affiliated, and ARE on a mission to discredit those who may believe and think different that you.

In fact, you SPEAK as if you are Cybil, i.e. DCRef, Pdv1 in female pseudonym. I now DOUBT that you are a resident of Ward 8, but a cowardly virtual sidekick of the "campaign without a candidate" seeking to gain credibility by "claiming" this ward or another. You should learn that what you "say" clarifies where you live, this city really is split. You should leave Alice in Wonderland and join us in reality.

You noticed the clear acknowledgment that you were referring to me with regards to "volunteerism" yet ignored the fact that I was responding to an earlier poster, then, too, that speaks to your agenda.

I NOW think that "Amanda" is yet another, Fenty appointee, seeking to protect a job that Amanda is not "qualified" to sit in. That you address me, when that is basically all that I speak to on this blog says to me that I have touched a "nerve" with you.

If you want to keep your job sweetheart, compete with all of the citizens of the District of Columbia to KEEP it. No worries...You will be given a chance to do just that. Which is the greatest fear of many of the "write in" folk. Which, is why you will fail, AND deprive yourself of that opportunity.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 27, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I concur with your comment concernedaboutdc. This write in madness is a waste of time. All the Democrat and 2 Indenpendent D.C. Councilmembers have endorsed their colleague Vincent Gray.

Posted by: KappaNupe | October 28, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KappaNupe | October 28, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

In closing.. all of this over whether Fenty write-in can use recycled signs.....

I am not DCREF.. nor Amanda.. (who i do know.. and does live in Ward 8 and does not work for the DC Government.

Nor do I, smoke crack or drink vodka..I am a minority business owner that doesn't work for the DC government, and does live in Ward 4, and do not owe my living to the DC government and will not be affected in my business due to Mayor Fenty not being in office because I work hard, and have a loyal clients.

So, please cut the "sweetheart" connotations, and the slander upon everyone .

In closing, and as put by Mayor Fenty (yes, he still is)... we have the right to vote, and to write in - and to follow appropriate election laws and cover donated signs for reuse.

Have a wonderful day

Posted by: pdv1 | October 28, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I read all the comments posted with great interest. Too bad Mayor Adrian M. Fenty closed and privatized the D.C. Department of Mental Health. It appears, several posters need some mental health counseling because they can't let Fenty go. Adrian Fenty is not a God and the majoirty of Democraic voters that voted fired this arrogant nasty prink. Some of you have too much time on your hands with this write in campaign. Get a life, girlfriend, boyfriend, or maybe a job.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | October 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Again Captain Kangaroo.. I thank you for taking the time to read all the posts.. especially since it does take quite a while.

Note to file:
105,000 people did not vote in the primary due to party affiliation.
If, someone wants to excercise their constitutional right.. and WRITE IN.. then so be it.

I have a life, I have a boyfriend, and I have a job.. All are doing quite well, thank you for asking.

Posted by: pdv1 | October 28, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

pdv1, DCref, and politicalrealist please go climb back under the bridge in whence you came. You are Internet trolls.

UrbanDweller, what's you point? The majority of whites in America think all black men are thugs and "savages". Your white media like the Washington Post, New York Times, ABC7 News, etc. help to perpetuate this myth. I have never been locked up and I haven't produced children out of wedlock. I will say, I don't trust whites in America whether they are gay, straight, Republican Democrat, Independent, liberal, and conservative.

Adrian Fenty betrayed black voters in Washington, D.C. by pandering to whites playing racial politics. He deserved to be fired from office. Hopefully other black politicians will learn from King Fenty's mistakes. I am a Howard University graduate and Howard's Homecoming is tomorrow. I bet Mayor Adrian M. Fenty will not be at Howard's Homecoming. I don't recall King Fenty attending a Howard Homecoming in the last 10 years during his tenure in political office. How sad since our mayor is a graduate of Howard University and is a member of a black Greek (Divine 9) Fraternity.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 29, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse