City officials looking at allegations of fraud in jobs program

The Department of Employment Services is looking into allegations that a staffer embezzled funds after stealing the identities of up to a half-dozen youths in the city's jobs program, according to city officials.

WUSA9 broke a story Thursday night that "tens of thousands" of dollars may have been stolen through an alleged identity theft and transfer of funds to a bank in North Carolina. According to WUSA9, the staffer inflated the pay of participants in the summer youth employment program by anywhere from $7 to $25 an hour. The station, however, did not disclose how many participants were involved or the source of the information. Council member Michael A. Brown ((I-At Large), who oversees the employment department in committee, said his office had heard about the possible fraud and would ask the city auditor, Deborah K. Nichols, to investigate.

In an e-mail, Drew Hubbard, Brown's aide, said the council staff is trying to get information from the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. Hubbard said the allegations involved one staffer and "5 or 6 kids."

The allegations could involve three to four youths and a staffer, but no one has been terminated at this time, according to a source in the Department of Employment Services. The allegations may not have involved the summer jobs program but a smaller year-round program for youths.

Department staff is scheduled to meet Friday morning to address the allegations.

By Nikita Stewart  | October 22, 2010; 12:48 AM ET
Categories:  City Finances, D.C. Council, Nikita Stewart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orange Claims Lead; Patterson Fighting Back
Next: In mass e-mail, D.C. Fire Chief Rubin announces he'll leave when Gray takes office

Comments

Question,did this happen recently??? The article does not say when this happened, just curious.

Posted by: DCWatcher3 | October 22, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Thinking of taking classes online? Find an accredited degree program. http://bit.ly/a5X4ZJ will find a suitable degree for you

Posted by: alexischarles22 | October 22, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm shocked I tell you...SHOCKED!

I mean who would have known that year after year of stories of hundreds of MD or VA kids somehow getting paid, of stories of adults, or people who had graduated DCPS years ago still getting checks, that there was "FRAUD" in the system.

As I've been saying for decades, this program simply needs to be canceled. Its a make work program to keep DC kids out of jail in the summer. They get paid to hang out in parks and vandalize peoples property.

Here is a clue that I learned as a child. You want a job, then you go out and get it. This "free jobs for everyone" crap is embarrasing. Heck, not even the French stoop so low.

Posted by: Nosh1 | October 22, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes, I am ashamed to be black. I bet the suspect is a black employee. As blacks, we should know, we must always be on our best behavior or perform 3 times as harder than whites to prove, we are decent harding working people.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 22, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

DC govt employee= license to steal!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 22, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@Ward4DC....my thoughts exactly. But you know when we call our own ppl out, we are considered a sell-out. When you take from the citizens, you should not get a slap on the wrist. Black, White or Brown!!

Posted by: CrimeRiddenDC | October 22, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, the city summer jobs program is fraud, waste and abuse itself. It pays youths welfare to sit around or don't show up at all. So this is like double fraud - stealing from a program that steals from the taxpayers.

Posted by: Matt14 | October 22, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Yes...Ward4DC...I feel you...but we can never be ashamed to be black or voice such a sentiment in a forum such as the Post comments section...I love being black more than anything and would never trade places with a white person in a million years. I would hate for a white person to read your post and to absorb and miscontrue your sentiments. Your comments are how we talk amonst ourselves...not in the company or out in front of others b/c the last thing we want to happen is for them to actually belive that we are ashamed of ourselves!

Our area is simply saturated with low class and undereducated blacks...if we were in rural West VA or PA, rural Kentucky, or rural Texas, we we be saturated with and exposed to more low class and under educated whites...and there would be a more equal display and media coverage of low class behavior from the white population....and perhaps then a white person would post on here that They are ashamed of being white!

DC has a very educated (i.e., book smart)middle class white population compared to the rest of America. Therefore, here in DC, it is easy for middle class and educated blacks to be embarrased by the actions of lower uneducated class of blacks...Your comment about working 3 times harder than whites is a comment that can only be truly understood by an educated/middle class black person. DC has been so segregated that most of the black youth in dc public schools cannot even fathom competing or even imagine what it takes to compete academically with whites at schools like Sidwell, St. Albans, NCS, Georgetown Visitation, ect..

Say it loud!....I'm BLACK and I'm PROUD!!!...despite the fact the my brothers and sisters let me down on a daily basis...

Posted by: fedupwithbs | October 22, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

If it wasn't for local press/TV/radio, we would never find out about this stuff. DC government needs a complete overhaul/investigation from top to bottom.

Whites don't defend or make excuses for other whites when they commit crimes & are found guilty. Why should any other race?

Come down hard on the criminals & low-lifes. They're ruining our communities. They don't care about us. Why should we care about them? Run 'em out of town!

Posted by: TaxiDriver | October 22, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

You HAVE to get people educated. NO ONE should be allowed to drop out of high school. You don't live on a farm & have to help your parents run it.

College grads aren't running around shooting people left & right like the high school dropouts are. Find a country where most of the population is well-educated & you will find very low levels of violent crime. Of course they don't have the guns that we do.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | October 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Quite honestly, who cares what race whoever committed the fraud is? Stealing is stealing.
Not that it should make any difference but there should be more concern and outrage over the senseless violent crimes being committed with far more frequency.
Theft/fraud and any government is basically expected.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | October 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

This story is about possible corruption in city gov't. How in the same hell do you go from that small factoid to being ashamed of your own blackness.

Like the previous poster, I am NEVER ashamed to be black and I don't care how many ignoramuses of the same race do stupid crap. I will forever love being black.

I think those overly concerned about how "they" look to someone else is the only reason someone could be ashamed of their own daggone race. WTH is that?

@Matt, this story isn't even about race so wth does being a sell out have to do with anything?

Posted by: dcis1 | October 22, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

fedupwithbs is right, ward4dc. You do not see most white folks being "ashamed" of their race because of other white folks who have been responsible for more malfeasance from petty crimes and to atrocities against humanity, than any lowly government worker. Its also troubling that you are assuming that the worker is black, particularly given that the incidence of crimes by government workers in this city have been relatively colorblind (eg., tech office scandal, property management scandal, bribery indictment of Jim Graham's assistant). Racism in America succeeds fabulously when it gets us to hate OURSELVES and to assume the worst, ie that the individual is a black employee. Shameful.

Posted by: orbitcv | October 22, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Ward4DC, I bet my salary, the perp is black. The D.C. Government is mostly black. I too am sometimes ashamed of being black because of all the stupid s&&t black men are doing in D.C., PG County, and Baltimore City. A large portion of black males in the jurisdictions I mention refused to stay in school, have been incarcerated, and act like "savages". I don't black white folks in Ward 3 not wanting lower class blacks and Central Americans coming into their neighborhoods.

Yes, if I had a choice, I would have preferred to have been born white. Being black is a curse and most black realize this, but they will not admit it. I feel everyday I wake up, God curse me by making me black with nappy hair. We are hated by all races and ethnic groups. Most white or light skin Hispanics don't like blacks either. At least the Asians, Indians, and most Hispanics along with whites have good or nice hair.

Ward 1 Resident

Posted by: mmatthews1 | October 23, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

I am a black man.

I am not ashame of or embarrased by the actions of the employees mentioned in the article anymore than I'm embarrassed, ashame of, etc, being black because too many black people in this city are killing each other.

Why? Because I know who I am and that doesn't represent me or BLACK people. It represents those criminals.

I'm excited to discuss my position with any person who is interested. I can be reached at sperr10493@aol.com

(BTW, it would be equally as disrespectful of me --and others- for me to lash out at a black person who made statements that I find unfortunate. So, I remain silent)

Posted by: rhome1 | October 25, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse