Gray launches new round of ads

Washington Post Editors

Despite being all but assured to win the Nov. 2 general election, D.C. Council Chairman Vince C. Gray is launching a final push to turn out supporters and win over skeptics who may not have supported him in the Sept. 14 Democratic primary for mayor.

As early as today, residents in certain sections of the city will receive a mail piece from the Gray campaign that features a picture of his onetime rival, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D).

The literature, according to sources within the Gray campaign, also includes quotes of Fenty praising the chairman. The mail campaign is heavily focused on Northwest, where Fenty trounced Gray in the primary.

The Gray campaign is also launching a new ad on black radio this weekend. The ad reminds African Americans, who overwhelmingly supported Gray in the primary, that they still need to turn out for the general election.

The efforts, which have been planned for weeks, come as a small but dogged group of Fenty supporters are continuing efforts to get voters to write in the mayor instead of voting for Gray in the general election.

-- Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  | October 29, 2010; 1:47 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election, Mayor Fenty, Tim Craig, Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tommy Wells, advocates push for tax increase
Next: D.C. Democrats reach across Potomac to help Connolly

Comments

Ok wait, first you put out literature attacking Fenty, then you put out literature using Fenty to win votes??? MR. GRAY WE NW RESIDENTS ARE NOT STUPID. WE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. WE ARE WRITING IN FENTY... GET OVER IT!!! WE DON'T WANT YOU OR YOUR MARION BARRY CLONES!!!

-NW RESIDENT

Posted by: theleakdc202 | October 29, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

^^^^ @theleakdc --I love your logic! This just goes to show how flaky politicians are. As soon as this article was posted my friends in the NW put it on their listserv. They are smart enough to see through this. Gray is a hack with no plans or directions. Just the promise of free jobs(which won't happen). I am writing in Fenty too, and I can't wait to get my new Gray literature. It's getting toasty and I will need something to start my fireplace with...LOL

Posted by: sean35 | October 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

^^^^ HA! I received the same email from the NW listserv (that's why I'm reading this now). What a load of crap! You spent the entire campaign bashing this guy and now you are trying to use him to win over his supporters? NOPE, SORRY! I'm WRITING IN FENTY! Who votes for someone because of some spam they throw in their mailbox anyways??? Mr. Gray, I don't support you and I will not vote for you. Please stop killing trees! I don't want your junk in my mailbox please. Good Day!

Posted by: kimberly8 | October 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey Guys, I got this article in an email from the NW politics listserv too!!! Hey, how about we all ban together for a Vince Gray "I bashed Fenty, but now I'm using him" literature return to sender campaign??? If we take the mail we get from him and put in in a street side mailbox they will return the mail to him! I think he will get the message then. It would almost be better if he just remained quiet toward us. This obvious misuse of Fenty's name (after blaming him for all the city's ills) is so wrong. I'M WRITING IN FENTY TOO, AND I'M ENCOURAGING MY FELLOW NW RESIDENTS TO DO THE SAME!!1

Posted by: amanda1922 | October 29, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amanda1922 | October 29, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys! Here off the NW listserv too!!! I think I will join you in the return to sender Vince Gray junk mail campaign. I will be writing in Fenty Saturday morning.

Posted by: jonfrancis1298 | October 29, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Another member of the NW listserv here! I will return to sender too. I already wrote in Fenty...Too little to late Gray. Marion Barry number 2 will not get my vote. Guys, have you forward the email of this article to your friends??? I have and I suggest you do the same. Tell people to return to sender, and how flaky Gray is to try to use the Mayor's credibility after running it through the mud during the primary! This is Fenty Country over here Mr. Gray!

Posted by: jasonfairbanks | October 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I am seeing where the OneCity is going. Let me get this straight, Gray is going to advertise on Black radio. What's next Gray and Fenty hand-dancing competition?

Hint; If someone wants to shake-up the apple-cart, why not Michelle Rhee tell us what really happened behind close-doors during her and Gray's meeting. I do believe a "sexist" person can't change their ways

Posted by: PowerandPride | October 29, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerandPride | October 29, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

NW LISTSERV EMAILER HERE TOO!

I like his "One City" campaign. To be a member of the one city you need to be 45-80 years-old and african-american(which oddly is my demographic, but I digress). That is how you can be included in Vince Gray's DC.

I'm writing in Fenty. Save the flier for someone who makes political decisions off of spam mail...i.e. a complete idiot.

Posted by: josephamiro | October 29, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Did you Write-In-ers all call each other and decide it would be cool to all write on the comments. Or is it the same person with multiple emails. LOL Either way its funny!

Honestly, You could say the same for Fenty. But you choose the overlook the fact that he too said GRAY was a piece of doo-doo and now he is endorsing him. And Anthony Williams etc etc. SO IS FENTY Two-faced??...of course not right???

You talk about Gray advertising on Black Radio but Im sure you noticed the lack of white people at the Go-Gos Fenty had. So who was Fenty catering to?

As far as Rhee leaving, shes gone Get over it but if you must dwell, think about this... If the write-in does succeed will she come back? If she does, then was it really about the children? I mean come on. See the other side for just a second.

Whether you like Gray or not, say something intelligent. Use numbers and facts not just rhetoric. Use the numbers from when he was the DHS director...site his faults as Chairman, but the same old "he's old and hes black" or "Hes the new Barry" lines are getting WACK!!!!

Posted by: lilscooby09 | October 29, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@lilscooby -- Not really my friend. I know a lot of the people (their names are familiar and we subscribe to the same Dem Listserv for NW DC. We all have a common understanding why we like Fenty over Gray. This is a message board so I don't feel the need to compose a master's thesis as to why I believe what I say. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is not a debate or a classroom. It's not that serious. Get over it a lot of people don't like your candidate. We don't need to go into detail as to why. My vote is my private choice.

Posted by: sean35 | October 29, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Gray .. save a tree....
how hypocritical are you?

I will WRITE IN FENTY

Posted by: pdv1 | October 29, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Its politics, now war. In order for government to have an orderly transfer of power, we have to be willing to make amends. Fenty realized that when he endorsed Gray, as did Muriel Bowser, a long term Fenty ally. Many of the people who posted in the past about Fenty have suffered personally under his tenure, which explains the bitterness and anger of these posters. As far as I can see, Gray has done nothing to these Fenty write in people but win the primary. Where does all this hate and fear come from?

Posted by: tacard1 | October 29, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Its funny that you tell me everyone has an opinion but you try to call out my own because it is different than yours. Its my opinion that you speak only against Gray in your comments. I only ask that you look at the other side. Am I telling a lie in what I stated above? no. And sidebar You don't know who my candidate is and you're actually misinformed. I think they are both Jackwagons.People who call Fenty names and say the same old line that he's arrogant and pompous make me just as angry. You don't have to write a thesis to sound intelligent. But simply saying the same insult the last guy said gets no extra votes for Fenty and essentially does no good for anyone

Posted by: lilscooby09 | October 29, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

pdv1 = pretty desperate voter.

Posted by: tcs1999 | October 29, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Gray in the primary and I voted (early) for him in the general. I wouldn't be suprised if Fenty doesn't do pretty well (30%+ write-ins) in Ward 3. Carol Schwartz won that ward (along with Patrick Mara) in the '08 general.

Posted by: CrestwoodKat | October 29, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

pdv1 and the rest of the Internet trolls for King Fenty are pathetic.

So called white liberal Democrats likepdv1 and the rest of the trolls living under a bridge have taken their white sheets off. They support King Fenty because they know Fenty showed whites in the District favoritism or he treated them better than black D.C. voters. What will you do once Vincent Gray becomes the official mayor pdv1 and the rest of the racist white Democrats? Will you move back to white middle America with a white mayor, Council, and State governments?

Native Washingtonian

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 29, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

When these Fenty supporters let go? Fenty is a Democrat and he has endorsed the Democratic winner Vincent Gray. Is this how you Democrats pit one another against each other?

I agree with Ward4DC, the Democratic primary had a lot of racist undertones. I thought the District is a liberal left wing city. By the actions of some, I would think we are living in the deep south in the 50's during Jim Crow segregation.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | October 30, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Vincent Gray or Adrian Fenty is not a miracle worker and the District of Columbia is headed for a Federal Control Board take over regardless of who become the mayor. Fenty and the Council both helped to spend the surplus left by former Mayor Anthony Williams administration.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | October 30, 2010 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

When will these Fenty supporters let go? Fenty is a Democrat and he has endorsed the Democratic candidate Vincent Gray. Is this how D.C. Democrats pit one another against each other? Being a Democrat in this town is like being a member of the KKK.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | October 30, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Fenty did the politically correct thing after the primary and now Gray is trying to show with his mailer that Fenty actually supports him. How pathetic! Gray has yet to run a campaign that says what he can do better. I find his one city lie particularly insulting, after it was Gray who divided the city racially and then lied to say he was a uniter. Fenty has done the most in all wards in so many areas for this city, Write In Fenty.

Posted by: voter20 | October 30, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow, how cool is that, all the Fenties in the same place at the same time...

And how Fenty could get over so many people at the same time is beyond me, but hardly surprising. It must be that slow talk jowling that does the trick, to only 'give the impression' he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But if Blacks generally don't know specifically, it's sensed not all is right with his Madame Rhee's course in robotics education, sponsored in part by the beneficence of elitist front org's.

Fenty ran on his very own green ticket, only the first time around there was no way knowing that green was short for greenback. The real tell-tale sign, aside from best-buds contracts thingies, was his attempt to 86 the Rental Housing Commission. Of course for any realtor to appeal from the Office of Administrative Hearings [should they need to by some off-chance not to get a gentry-favorable OAH judge] to Superior Court is no biggie; for a renter it is something else altogether, as in spending big bucks for a lawyer. Any of those hoo-rah Fentyites who are renters & don't see it by now...well, just aren't likely ever to.

-Independent, Ward I

Posted by: MrSoftee | October 30, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Vince Gray and supported the charter to make the Attorney General an elected position.

In politics, I am a registered Democrat. As such, I support the democratic nominee of my party. It appears Adrian Fenty and Anthony Williams have as well.

I don't care who people write in. Loyal democrats, and many independents, are supporting Vincent Gray.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 30, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@ PowerandPride...ALWAYS STURRING THE POT! How are things with the band at Eastern SHS?

As for Ms. Rhee stating what happened behind closed doors when speaking to her "new manager"; you work in HR you should know that she is more of a professional/business woman than that and will never say, at least until both are out of public office.

Anonymity is not afforded all on this message board. When you throw sladdersist/libalist jabs you should know that some of us will call you on it.

What do you know specifically about Vincent Gray that you feel secure in caling him a "Sexist"?

Posted by: lacairaine | October 31, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lacairaine | October 31, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

I will be writing in. I consider it true democracy, that the option is available.

Fenty is for education.
I will vote for education.

Posted by: troyurman | November 1, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse