Thomas defends nonprofit, pledges to turn over documents by deadline
D.C. Council member Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5) said Monday that he would meet the Nov. 23 court-imposed deadline for turning over documents subpoenaed by Attorney General Peter Nickles.
Thomas said his attorney plans to hand over the documents related to his nonprofit organization, Team Thomas, on Tuesday morning, and he defended the group as a "noble organization that I'm proud to have."
Thomas said the records would show donations the group received, expenses and events hosted by the nonprofit.
"That's all that's in it," Thomas said.
A D.C. Superior Court judge gave Thomas three weeks to provide the documents to Nickles, after the council member and attorney general disagreed about the timing for handing over the information.
Nickles is investigating the group, created in 2000 to provide grants to children and community-based groups in the Northeast Washington neighborhoods Thomas has represented since 2006. Team Thomas is not registered with the Internal Revenue Service and had its license revoked last year by the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.
| November 22, 2010; 12:11 PM ET
Categories: Ann E. Marimow, D.C. Council
Save & Share: Previous: David Catania seeks education panel chairmanship
Next: Barry claims turkey giveaway delayed by Giant