Posted at 11:44 AM ET, 01/13/2011

Fenty lands gig with Philadelphia-based firm

By Nikita R Stewart

Former D.C. mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) will work as an outside adviser and counsel for Heffler, Radetich & Saitta, a Philadelphia-based accounting and consulting firm.

The firm announced Thursday that the 40-year-old Fenty, who lost reelection in the September Democratic primary, would "help further develop and enhance the firm's preeminent position in class action litigation support services, as well as health care industry consulting and forensic accounting services."

Fenty said in a news release, "My work as mayor gave me first-hand exposure to what was and is possible in evolution and growth of services and business, despite government's complex bureaucracy."

The release did not indicate that Fenty would relocate from the nation's capital to the City of Brotherly Love. Fenty said the day after the primary that he would remain in the District, where he was born and raised and attended Howard University law school after his undergraduate work at Oberlin College.

But Fenty appears to have looked outside the city for work. He confirmed that he would like to shape minds at Oberlin as a visiting teacher. And earlier this month, Fenty signed with Greater Talent Network, a Manhattan-based speakers bureau for celebrities.

According to the news release, Fenty was recruited by principal Jerry L. Johnson, who joined the firm in 2009. Johnson was named among the Top 40 Most Powerful Executives in Corporate America by Black Enterprise magazine. Like Fenty, Johnson is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity.

The firm cited Fenty's work shepherding school reform, the legalization of same-sex marriage, the reduction of crime and the expansion of affordable housing and health coverage for the uninsured.

"Adrian Fenty's term as Washington mayor showed the country what sharp administrative and leadership abilities he has, and set the table for a fresh set of ideas and growth in his beloved city," said executive partners Edward J. Radetich Jr. and George A. Saitta, in the release.

The firm, according to its statement, is known for "its extensive work in litigation support services and administrative services for large class action cases, administering cases dealing with antitrust, securities fraud, product liability, employment settlements, and other class action claims."

By Nikita R Stewart  | January 13, 2011; 11:44 AM ET
Categories:  Mayor Fenty, Nikita Stewart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Logan Circle activist enters council race
Next: MaryEva Candon edges closer to D.C. Council bid

Comments

I hope this firm has good malpractice insurance. Fenty was almost disbarred for botching the administration of an estate before his election, so I can only imagine how well he'd handle the administration of class action litigation. And I hardly think Fenty's acclaim as mayor came from his ability to administer anything. I'll grant you, he's okay on big ideas, but administering them was kind of his undoing. He's not a details guy and he's not a shrewd intellect. God bless him if he's found someone to pay him to bring those skill sets to their firm.

Posted by: flotsam3 | January 13, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flotsam3 | January 13, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

No one else would hire him, he had to go to his fraternity brother. To the fraternity brother who hired Fenty-GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Posted by: diahhna | January 13, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Can't we just put him out on the same ice floe with Sarah Palin and hope that global warming takes care of it for us?

Posted by: blankspace | January 13, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

TRANSLATION: As payment for services rendered to various members of the fraternity during his stint as Mayor, someone in the Kappa brotherhood was designated to provide Fenty with a job title (unspecified) and an income (also unspecified).

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any brilliant legal work from the former Emperor Adrian. Some of us know better than to expect that.

Posted by: nan_lynn | January 13, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he will be doing document review.

Posted by: PepperDr | January 13, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

He was a piss poor lawyer and an arrogant mayor. Glad he's out.

Posted by: missT1 | January 13, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

i think this job is going to be a benifit to his friend Peter, because Fenty just wasnt as bright or as good a mayor as ths article is tryna make it seem

Posted by: JeroRobson1 | January 13, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Fenty is a clown. Kappa Alpha Psi seems to be a fraternity of clowns.

Posted by: CalmTruth | January 13, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Seriously - a teacher at Oberlin? I'm afraid he doesn't have the intellect to be a "teacher" at a community college. His ego so far outweighs his skills and smarts. No DC firms trying to snatch him up, I see. Celebrity - please.

Posted by: dwinmtp | January 13, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dwinmtp | January 13, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Fenty sure can ride a bicycle, that's something good, eh

Posted by: watashiwa | January 13, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Did Adrian Fenty ever take the Bar exam and passed it?

Posted by: RockCreekPark | January 13, 2011 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope that Adrian Fenty will be permanently leaving Washington, DC. Fenty was a horrible mayor and a crook. Good riddance!

Posted by: SCOTTSCHMIDTT | January 13, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

ScottSchmidtt, I too wish Adrian Fenty and Gabe Klein would disappear out of Washington, DC together. Both were arrogant jerks. Good riddance to them both!

Posted by: RockCreekPark | January 13, 2011 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what type of grades to Fenty get while attending Howard's Law School? Was he an average student? I do know, former King Fenty is not a good public speaker and he need to attend a speech class.

Adrian is old news and I wish he and Gabe Klein would disappear from the public's eye. I hope Fenty moves out of Ward 4 Crestwood and Washington, DC. Let him move to the city of brotherly love in Philly with former Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey. He can take that troll Josh Lopez with him.

Posted by: Ward4DC | January 14, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

I wonder what type of grades did Fenty get while attending Howard's Law School? The man isn't that bright as an individual.

Posted by: Ward4DC | January 14, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what type of grades did former King Fenty received while attending Howard's Law School? Was he an average student? I do know, former King Fenty is not a good public speaker and he need to attend a speech class.

Adrian is old news and I wish he and Gabe Klein would disappear from the public's eye. I hope Fenty moves out of Ward 4 Crestwood and Washington, DC. Let him move to the city of brotherly love in Philly with former Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey. He can take that bad mannered Josh Lopez with him.

Posted by: Ward4DC | January 14, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse