Posted at 4:07 PM ET, 01/10/2011

Lopez files signatures, gets endorsement for at-large race

By Tim Craig

Joshua Lopez, who worked as a political aide to former mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D), said he has filed enough signatures to be a candidate in the April 26 special election for an at-large seat on the D.C. Council.

Lopez, who worked as Fenty's Ward 4 coordinator and also headed up the write-in Fenty campaign in the fall, said he and his supporters collected and turned in more than 3,000 signatures to the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics.

"I am honored by the swift gathering of over 3,000 petition signatures by dedicated volunteers, and the outpouring of support I have received so far," Lopez said in a statement. "Instead of vying for the votes of the Democratic State Committee, I have been spending my time vying for the support of DC residents."

Lopez, 26, also announced he's picked up his first major endorsement. The Rev. Robert Childs, who served on the school board from 1997 to 2001, said in a statement that he believes Lopez is best suited to continue the education reforms started by former chancellor Michelle A. Rhee.
"Lopez brings a fresh voice and energy to a city council that is in dire need of it," said Childs, a former president of the board. "I like his approach, and I support the continuation of education reform."

Lopez is vying for the seat left vacant when Kwame Brown (D) was sworn in as chairman of the council. Last week, the D.C. Democratic State Committee voted to appoint former school board member Sekou Biddle as an interim replacement.

Biddle, who was sworn in Friday and has the support of many of his council colleagues, is expected to run in the special election to serve out the remainder of the term. Jacque Patterson, head of the Ward 8 Democrats, will also probably be a candidate. Former council member Vincent Orange, a Democrat, and school board member Patrick Mara, a Republican, could also enter the race.

Although he doesn't have extensive experience in local politics, Lopez is positioning himself as the only candidate in the race aligned with Fenty. Lopez could also be the only Hispanic candidate in the race.

"The last thing we need on the city council is a rubber stamp," Lopez said. "The new administration and reelected council members won by making a lot of promises. Somebody needs to be there to keep them honest and accountable."

By Tim Craig  | January 10, 2011; 4:07 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. Council, Kwame Brown, Mayor Fenty, Michelle A. Rhee, Sekou Biddle, Tim Craig, Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Democratic Committee head says her Biddle vote 'is private'
Next: Gray faces first snow test as mayor

Comments

I remember this kid from the Fenty Write-In campaign. I must tell you he is a compelling alternative to the other candidates who offer nothing new. I'm tired of the old Barry clones for one. I'll keep my eye on this kid.

Posted by: zsg2010 | January 10, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree zsg2010. A new smart young voice, unaligned with the current administration would be a well needed check and balance. As an African American man I do believe its past time for a Latino representative on the city council.

Posted by: nycdc1973 | January 10, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Hehe, the Lopez shills are as convincing as he is.

Posted by: getjiggly2 | January 10, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Hindsight is 20/20:

the Fenty write-in the kid ran was charade - a narcissitic self-promotional pre-candidacy stunt. I feel sorry for the volunteers he hoodwinked into the effort under false pretenses.

The kid is nasty. He got kicked out of St. Columba's Church during a town hall meeting, and bullhorned a campaign press event.

No place for anyone like this kid on our Council.

Posted by: tcs1999 | January 11, 2011 2:42 AM | Report abuse

The question is will the Ward 3 Tea Party White Racists rally round Lopez.

Posted by: bob_dylan_rocks | January 11, 2011 4:36 AM | Report abuse

Josh Lopez is a welcome alternative to keep the council in check.
He has shown his dedication to the city and the political reform that has occurred.

Having a bilingual, young politician added to the council, that has a desire to keep the city renewed and continue the reforms would be a welcome asset.

Posted by: pdv1 | January 11, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Can Josh represent the WHOLE CITY?

Answer is No!

Narcissitic was a great adjective to describe Josh and I don't see anywhere in his resume where he is about the people and helping the city beyond just making a name for himself.

What is he offering new to the table?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | January 11, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

This young guy maybe a new face. But he's just as self absorbed as his counter part Fenty. I know him personally and he possesses the same character traits as his fraternity brother Fenty. And we all know where that got Fenty.

I have to agree with thelildiva4u he's not about the ppl and he wouldn't be able to represent the city let along his ward. He's about himself. He's arrogant and he brings nothing more than his nationality to the position.

Posted by: tjkoolkat | January 12, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

nycdc1973, I would never vote for someone based on their ethnicity. Because Josh Lopez is Guatemalain American (Hispanic), this is not a reason to vote for this guy. What has he done and what will he bring to the table policy wise?

What I saw in Josh Lopez was a nasty, mean, and arrogant human being during the mayoral election. Watching him on ABC7 News, seeing him with a bull horn yelling and scream up in Vincent Gray and his campaign workers faces was a turn off. Did this guy learn to respect his elders growing? Mayor Gray is old enough for Josh Lopez grandfather. Another issue, Lopez referred to Gray as being old and a has being. As a 50 year old middle age man, this was a turn off and age discrimination in my eyes. Former Mayor Fenty discriminated against middle age people and he didn't have many middle age men or women working in his cabinet.

I would vote for Josh Lopez as my dog catcher.

Ward 3 DC Resident