Posted at 3:27 PM ET, 03/ 8/2011

Sulaimon Brown meets with House Oversight Committee

By Nikita Stewart
Washington Post Editors

Sulaimon Brown, the fired D.C. government employee and former mayoral candidate who says he was promised a job by Mayor Vincent C. Gray in exchange for bashing then-mayor Adrian M. Fenty during the September primary campaign, is meeting Tuesday with the House Oversight and Government Committee.

The committee, which oversees the District government, has no plans to investigate Brown's allegations that he cut a deal with Gray (D) to get a job or that he received payments from two members of Gray's campaign, according to a Congressional source who was not authorized to speak. However, the committee reached out to Brown to learn what process the city is using to investigate and whether he has any concerns, according to the source.

The D.C. Office of the Attorney General announced earlier Tuesday that it would not investigate Brown's allegations directly as Gray requested Sunday. Instead, the office will guide probes that have already been launched by the Office of the Inspector General and the Office of Campaign Finance.

By Nikita Stewart  | March 8, 2011; 3:27 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Evans indefinitely postpones Lorraine Green's nomination to head Convention and Sports Authority
Next: D.C. Mayor Gray retains attorney

Comments

So you thought Sulaimon Brown was the dullest knife in the drawer? Well, that butter knife is performing laser surgery on the Gray administration's cataracts and I believe shortly they will begin see him in a very different light. Folk always said hindsight is 20/20. Pretty soon, I bet Gray will be singing, "I can see clearly now Lorraine is gone!" Too bad though, he more than likely won't see another four years. Yet something told me it was over, when I saw Sulaimon and her talking (at Union Station). Something deep down in my soul said, "Cry Gray!" (cry cry) I'll be willing to bet Gray would rather go blind than to see what Sulaimon Brown is doing to him right now. It's so bloody, I'm closing "my" eyes to keep from seeing it.

Posted by: itsjustamess | March 8, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone shocked that the Gray administration is corrupt? look at all of the Gray hirings...Convicted felons that were known about before he appointed them.

Posted by: neil64 | March 9, 2011 1:23 AM | Report abuse

First the House Oversight and Government Committee and then the CONTROL BOARD.

The handwriting is on the wall!
Sad but True!

Posted by: me4dc1 | March 9, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

According to Mr. Brown, he and Ms. Green met at Union Station and he received an envelope from her with $750.00 in cash for his services. An initial determination by the US Attorney concerning whether District/Federal law may of been violated should be made. If a determination is made that a District/Federal law was violated,
it may be considered a federal crime since Union Station is considered federal property.

Hence, the need for the US Attorney to weigh in.

Posted by: dcgovcorruption1 | March 9, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Okay itsjustamess. Or should I just say Etta James. Too funny.

Posted by: dmvlive | March 9, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Man oh man...this is the problem with conspiracy and shenanigans of this nature. You have to keep everyone happy all the time or they turn on you in a second.

This guy Brown certainly knows the definintion of the word..."payback".

Posted by: Nosh1 | March 9, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't trust Gray. I think he is a crook! But, I think investigators need to look for other sources. Brown is a whack job.

Don't build your case around this guy.

Posted by: Veritasamus | March 9, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't build your case around this guy.

Posted by: Veritasamus | March 9, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Does Sulaimon Brown realize it is against the law to lie to Congress? He'd better be careful with his payback game. I hope he has a lawyer on speed dial.

Posted by: PepperDr | March 9, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@dmvlive - I'm cracking myself up! I'm justamess too! lol

Posted by: itsjustamess | March 9, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure it is against the law to lie on your campaign finance reports, too.

What I don't get is this: if Brown was given cash to help with his personal expenses when campaigning, why would he report some of it as a campaign donation? Reading all the reports, even if you accept Brown's version, he said he needed money to live on.

Why record incoming donations that have to be accounted for?

Posted by: tacard1 | March 9, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I had the unfortunate opportunity if taking classes at UDC with the full time idiot Sulaimon Brown. This clown was always the source of disruptive, and off subject comments that would leave us scratching into the galea of our scalps. Has this nut job ever had a real job, and if so how long? I would surmise that Mr. Brown would not be able to have a baby campaign without some underground financial assistance, as well as script coaching. This clon is really not that bright. I can assure you that the "SUPER SLICK IDIOT" Vincent Gray was aware of what was going on, and he should just resign, becuase there will be more indiscretions to surface, if one would really want to dig up a little dirt. To be honest the so called City Council is defunct! What do they do for the money that they receive? How are they're decisions, and laws passed impacted the citizens, and improved the way of life in the city. Economic development has tken place in every metropolitan city, so they can't keep using that one as a excuse. They get paid over $100,000 to rewrite laws, with no impact. How another Super idiot became the Council Chairman defies logic. It's time to really do a better job of electing people have an interest in improving, and not for personal, or to help they're friends get contracts, and in return they receive kickbacks. In closing, former mayor Fenty was an idiot, Gray is an idiot, Kwame brown is an idiot. The Control Board has always been in place behind the scenes, therefore, the city council does nothing for the money. THE FEDERAL CITY COUNCIL, AND GREATER BOARD OF TRADE are the invisible groups who really run this city. Just go to the Federal City Council's website, and read they're mission statement, and they're plan for the city.

Posted by: reoremax2k | March 10, 2011 7:10 AM | Report abuse