Weather blamed in Lafayette gas leak
My colleague Martin Weil reports the following about gas leak outside Lafayette Elementary Tuesday night:
Winter weather was the underlying cause of Tuesday's break in a natural-gas line in Northwest Washington, according to Washington Gas.
A chunk of ice fell from the roof of Lafayette Elementary School, striking the gas meter outside the school and disconnecting the line, utility company spokesman Ruben Rodriguez said Wednesday. Residents of the area heard what they said sounded like an explosion, followed by the hiss of escaping gas.
Rodriguez said workers from the gas utility went to the scene promptly and shut off the flow of escaping gas. The "situation is under control now," he said.
Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the D.C. fire and emergency services department said the statement by the gas company is consistent with the fire department's findings.
Follow D.C. Schools Insider every day at http://washingtonpost.com/dcschoolsinsider.
And for admissions advice, college news and links to campus papers, please check out our new Higher Education page at washingtonpost.com/higher-ed Bookmark it!
The comments to this entry are closed.