E-mail Bill | RSS Feed | In-depth coverage: Education Page | Follow The Post's education coverage: Twitter | Facebook

Assault at Hearst under investigation

Here's another disturbing report about a student allegedly injured by an adult in a District public school. This one comes from Hearst Elementary in Ward Three, where police were called on May 12 to investigate the restraint of a student to a chair with duct tape. Details are scant. Lt. Nicholas B. Reul, a MPD spokesman, said the incident involved a teacher's aide and that the matter is under investigation as a case of simple assault. Hearst principal William Kerlina did not return a phone message Wednesday afternoon.

Follow D.C. Schools Insider every day at washingtonpost.com/dcschools.
And for admissions advice, college news and links to campus papers,
please check out our new Higher Education page at washingtonpost.com/higher-ed.
Bookmark it!

By Bill Turque  |  May 19, 2010; 4:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Student injured by chair-wielding sub
Next: Fenty's charter school "conflict"

Comments

Wonder why this didn't make the news before today since it happened a week ago????

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | May 19, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

So, we have a teacher's aide and a substitute teacher allegedly assaulting kids. Perhaps Rhee should fire the whole batch of them and hire new, inexperienced aides and subs to handle the kids.

That should solve the problem!

Posted by: efavorite | May 19, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the aid was from the "Aid for America" program where IVY league graduates who can't get internships work at low paying menial jobs in hope of embellishing their cv's

Posted by: mamoore1 | May 19, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I love how efavorite excuses violence against children.

I for one, unlike the drinking-the-koolaid Rhee haters despise violence against children by teachers and I NEVER make excuses for it. It simply has no place in DCPS.

Watch people make excuses for child abuse in 3... 2... 1...

Posted by: bbcrock | May 19, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

@bbcrock--

I fail to see how efavorite is excusing this. Is it the word "allegedly"? As nobody has been convicted, the use of allegedly is appropriate.

I'd say Ms Rhee doesn't have things as under control as she would have everyone to believe.

Posted by: ceebee2 | May 20, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

bbcrock

I love your use of drinking-the-koolaid term. If anyone knows about drinking-the-koolaid it is you.

efavorite was not making excuses, he seems to be offering your girl Rhee another opportunity to hire young, bright individuals to replace the older, tired, violent and uncaring employees you so love to talk about.

You seem to be jumping with glee at the thought of an adult assaulting a child because it gives you a golden opportunity to attack DCPS employees.

I wait for your attack for I know it is coming.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | May 20, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Come On" Rhee Haters, I know you are ready to bounce. Stuff happens, no it should not be in our schools, but it happens every where schools, churches and even in some of your homes. Ms. Rhee cannot be all things to all people,she is doing all she can with the hand that was dealt her. By the way @bbcrock do you have everthing under control in your life?

Posted by: kitty281137 | May 20, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I find Velcro works much better in situations like this.

Posted by: RealityCheckerInEffect | May 20, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

What is wrong with this? Most likely this was a special ed kid who was out of control. There are many accepted tactics that special ed teachers know and use that are not used on regular students.

Posted by: MKadyman | May 20, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"APOLOGY" TO YOU bbrock, my last comment was meant for ceebee2.

Posted by: kitty281137 | May 20, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

is there anything Duct-Tape CAN'T do?

Posted by: MarilynManson | May 20, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't they just throw a chair like everyone else? (kidding) but seriously, Rhee, Fenty and the whole lot need to be replaced.

Posted by: kdukes1 | May 20, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Hearst principal William Kerlina did not return a phone message Wednesday afternoon."

-------------------------------------------

I wonder what kind of info the reporter could get if he got off the back of his behind and actually *went* to the school. If I was the principal, I wouldn't return his call either.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | May 20, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I had an uncle arrested for beating me up and the charge was "simple assault". There is nothing simple about someone repeatedly slamming your head into an aquarium or hitting you with a 2 x 4. I doubt there is anything simple about restraining a child with duct tape.

Posted by: alamero1 | May 20, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Does DCPS conduct psych evals for the employees who work with children? It would be expensive on the front end, but it would probably spare many children needless trauma and keep DCPS' litigation budget smaller.

Posted by: alamero1 | May 20, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@marilynmanson; Don't forget about a bottle of windex too.

The news report gave so many variations or conflicting stories...I began to doubt the validity of the entire incident.

Between Metro and DCPS...I really don't know who's going to win this year's "This is absolutely ridiculous" award.

Posted by: PowerandPride | May 20, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@kitty281137--

As a matter of fact, I do. And I haven't extended myself beyond my level of competency.

Ms Rhee is in charge, is she not? Did she not imply that she had gotten rid of these types of employees?

Posted by: ceebee2 | May 20, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Former Hearst parent and I'm glad we got out of there. Dig deeper and you will find that there were other "incidents" under the former principle too.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | May 21, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse