E-mail Bill | RSS Feed | In-depth coverage: Education Page | Follow The Post's education coverage: Twitter | Facebook

Rhee: Gray lacks Fenty's commitment to reform

Chancellor Michelle A. Rhee edged closer than ever Wednesday to saying explicitly that she's out of here if Mayor Adrian M. Fenty loses his Sept. 14 primary contest against Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray. She told told WAMU's Kavitha Cardoza that she has not seen in Gray the same commitment to education reform that Fenty has demonstrated.

Rhee has been reluctant to talk about her future in the city under a new mayor. And Gray, for his part, says he would not decide whether to retain Rhee until he was elected. But Cardoza pressed Rhee, reminding her of past statements about the importance of parents being able to make informed decisions.

"A lot of parents want to make their decision based on you," Cardoza said.

Rhee responded: "What I can tell you very clearly is I came to this city to take on this job specifically because I believed there was a really unique opportunity with this mayor and how focused he was on education. And he has not disappointed me one time in the last three years. I would not work under a mayor who was not focused on education in the same way and as dedicated to making some of the really difficult decisions."

Asked if Gray has shown the same level of commitment, Rhee said:

"I think the chairman is certainly interested in education reform. I think that he is committed to this city and its progress, certainly. But in terms of what I'm talking about with Mayor Fenty and his willingness to make some very difficult decisions... no, I haven't seen the same thing from the chairman."

Listen to the entire interview here.

Follow D.C. Schools Insider every day at washingtonpost.com/dcschools.
And for admissions advice, college news and links to campus papers,
please check out our new Higher Education page at washingtonpost.com/higher-ed.
Bookmark it!

By Bill Turque  |  June 30, 2010; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. Mayor's Race
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Council approves teachers contract
Next: Gray rolls out ed platform

Comments

Good riddance, Rhee! Best news I've heard today.

Posted by: DCbred | June 30, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I think that Fenty was working the strings when she was talking to WAMU's Kavitha Cardoza.

The word PUPPET comes to mind with I think of Rhee!

Posted by: Special_One40 | June 30, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

So the concerned, all about the kids, Chancellor intimates that she will leave if another mayor is elected.

Well this seems to make it much easier for Gray to get rid of her. She'll do it to herself. So for all the Fenty/Rhee'ites who wondered, Rhee has no intention on finishing her job.

Posted by: dcis1 | June 30, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Mr. Gray defines reform differently than Mayor Fenty. Perhaps he's less enamored with the test, test, test and punish school of reform to which the current administration seesms to be wedded.

Posted by: sanderling5 | June 30, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"He has not disappointed me one time in the last three years."

Translation: He (Fenty) has given me carte blanche to do whatever the hell I've wanted to do (whether my actions have had merit or not) without questioning me or telling me, “ No.”

Posted by: schooletal | June 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"Rhee said she did not see the same dedication to education reform from Gray that she has seen with Fenty."

Translation: Gray, as mayor, would not allow me to continue my reckless and autocratic reign of terror (i.e., disrupting/dismantling stable and successful programs, using test scores as the "be all and end all" of job performance rating, disregarding parents and other community stakeholders, especially those east of the Park, etc.) with all my empty claims of great success, unaccountability, lack of transparency, runaway spending and other similar "accoutrements" afforded me by fenty.

Posted by: schooletal | June 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I am sure Rhee would love to get out of DC given the rude, violent, ignorant fools she has to suffer with each day. See the above comments. She should let the pathetic people of DC, last in most any ranking of prosperity in the country yet hostile to reform, sink in their own squalor. She can probably find other places to work and more power to her.

Of course, many of the same above commenters decried the teachers contract I think, which passed with less than 10% of union members opposed and all councilmembers in support. So maybe these pages are as far as the negative rhetoric goes.

Posted by: mendelsonmustgo | June 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

This sounds like great news for DCPS! I hope Gray wins!

Posted by: jlp19 | June 30, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Rhee, you are a fool for opening your mouth. You are hated here, because you are authoritarian, and people here would rather suffer in squalor than be disrespected - code of the street and all that.

Fenty, you are a fool for your campaigning.

Gray, you are a fool who will fail just like Fenty: all talk, no walk - except you are old school useless.

DC Kids: you are still screwed.

DC City: nothing ever changes, does it?

Posted by: Greent | June 30, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Gray's reform is to bring back crappy union thugs to run our schools. Gray believes government jobs are welfare for the black working class and jobs for life and that taxpayers exist to support this welfare. If Gray is elected, which he won't be, you would see a sharp increase in taxes, union employees and a sharp decline in the performance of city services. Guaranteed.

Posted by: Matt14 | June 30, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

So, it's all about the "children" Rhee? You are now showing your horns.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 30, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt14 | June 30, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse
====

Way to play the race card. Guess you're one of "those" who believes that Obama was born in Kenya too hunh?

Posted by: dcis1 | June 30, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I took those remarks to mean that Fenty supports her reform 100% and he hired her, didn't he?

Why would she want to work for someone who doesn't share her vision?

I don't blame her on this one. Why should an education superintendent do what the mayor ( a political figure) wants her to do? She is the one who (supposedly) knows about education, not him.

She probably made it a condition of her hiring that she get to do what she wants.

I do wish she wasn't so down on teachers. She is either quoted often out of context or she doesn't understand teaching.

Posted by: celestun100 | June 30, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

She reveals all the tenacity of a delicate flower.

And instead of exerting her influence onto Gray, she promised to retaliate against the school children of DC if she doesn't get her way completely.

At worst, Rhee is a criminal. But even at her best, she's nothing more than a grand-stander. She seeks limelight and success but is unwilling to stand with the best interests of Washington's school children when her radical, self-absorbed agenda is subjected to moderation.

She gotta go.

Posted by: blasmaic | June 30, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I think the Chancellor realizes that the stakes are very high for her. There can be no excuses for not achieving major academic success now that she has the leverage - ability to fire "ineffective" teachers - she insisted was necessary to turn around low-performing urban school districts.

I guess it is better to leave while on "top".

Posted by: khathu | June 30, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@khathu

All she has to do is test more, which she plans to do, show that those scores have improved and she is going to look good.

Posted by: celestun100 | June 30, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Would love to hear from actual parents out there that have kids in DCPS, not just fired teachers, DC Government employees, and anti Fenty/Rhee folks. Curious to know your honest opinion of whether the schools are running better or worst since Rhee has taken over? Thanks in advance!

Posted by: polo07 | June 30, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I am a parent of an 11 year old who currently attends Alice Deal Middle School. I am very impressed with Chancellor Rhee and I would be truly disappointed if she left the washington, dc area. DCPS is far from perfect, but has been steadily improving. I don't think it is good for the school system to have constant changes in top personnell. We need to keep a good thing going!!

Posted by: judithruss | June 30, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@celestun100

The question is can she do it.

Posted by: khathu | June 30, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Rhee is fairly similar to Adrian Fenty - she has repeatedly violated city law and demonstrated an unwillingness to work with the city council.

As the highest paid government official in the District (yes, paid more than the mayor), standardized test performance in the schools have only made a modest improvement and STILL rank among the very lowest in the United States.

Quite frankly, there is nothing amazing about Rhee and when elected mayor, Vincent Gray should definitely consider firing her.

Rhee's performance is mixed at best.

Posted by: ashafer_usa | June 30, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Fire Rhee, bring Janey back to complete his work that is now bearing fruit.

Rhee is in it for herself. This much is clear.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 30, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

It is also interesting to note that Adrian Fenty flaked out at the last minute and did not attend the education debate on Monday. Perhaps Fenty needs Rhee to do his campaigning on education since he is unable to speak knowledgeably about any matter of substance in DC without notes from his campaign assistants or his Blackberry.

Hopefully, when Fenty loses the primary and is run out of the city (he'll move to NYC immediately), Rhee will go with him.

Good riddance! The city will be FAR FAR FAR BETTER with both of them gone!

Posted by: ashafer_usa | June 30, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, she should have just mounted a huge "Vote Gray for Mayor" sign on top of her roof with a neon spotlight. Her remarks served the same purpose. LOL!!!!

Posted by: anonymous72 | June 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@ judithruss

I think the problem is we get caught in the individual or personality and not the process of change. Where is the vision and long-term strategy (5-10 plan) for reforming DCPS? Who is willing to make the commitment to change which is a slow and long process?

And no one person in and of themselves is change or education reform. Sustainable and long term change can only happen when you have the buy in of all of the stakeholders. So even if the leader (or figure head) leaves the accomplishment or vision does not leave with him or her. The people will continue the process and ultimately build from the successes.

This is bigger than the mayor, the chancellor or city council. Once we understand this true educational reform will began until then we will continue to organize ourselves around individuals and not the issues.

Posted by: khathu | June 30, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate much of the work that Rhee is doing, although I will not base my vote on the decision of whether or not she stays. It has ALWAYS been clear that she was a short timer...especially when she married Kevin Johnson, a mayor of a city on the other side of the US. I do not begrudge her for that, but she is not someone that we should be looking for to finish the job.

I also think that Gray will continue with the educational reform as well. The process has only started and much work needs to be done. Gray should start looking for someone to take over that mantle if he is hopefully elected. And Gray would be smart to consult with Rhee regarding her replacement.

Posted by: dcresident12 | June 30, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe Rhee's critics are judging her based on whether the children in DCPS's have actually benefited any since she has taken over. It seems like most of the critism is based on how she treated Teachers/Faculty in DCPS and not if the children are better off today than they were 3 yrs ago.

Posted by: polo07 | June 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: polo07 | June 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse
====

Let's be honest here. From all accounts, Rhee's success has been achieved by implementing gains made under Janey - who was the Sup under Williams. Despite the documented "gains," he was FIRED.

Now again we have a Chancellor who can't be fired because she is making similar "gains." It is widely believed that those who don't support Rhee are somehow hoping that we don't make progress.

Ok great. I'll buy it. But how does that explain Dr. Janey's dismissal? What about the children right?

Posted by: dcis1 | June 30, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Rhee and Nickles are campaigning for Fenty on the air on company time totally ignoring the Hatch Act, and no one is saying a thing about it. In plain view.

Honest Mr. Fenty?????????????

Not even the "WP".

Posted by: gordonbundy | June 30, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I've been underwhelmed with Fenty, but the need to keep Rhee is enough to convince me to vote for him again over Gray.

Posted by: Hurleybird | June 30, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Fenty, but I'm satisfied with how the city is going in the right direction. Unfortunately I feel like the alternative campaign is "Vincent Gray if you liked DC the old way"

Posted by: blankspace | June 30, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blankspace | June 30, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Rhee has done a fine job overall. The leaders prior to her (including Janey) did not have the backbone to push through the reforms that were needed to BEGIN making changes to a broken DC public school system. Reform is messy and can never please everyone - especially the status quo represented by the DC teachers union that has been calling the shots for decades as DC schools slowly declined. Reformers still have a long way to go, but we DC is on the right track.

As a DC resident and taxpayer Rhee has satisfied my desire to shake things up and hold people accountable. Yeah, she's made some mistakes, but all-in-all she is doing more good than harm.

Anyone following this issue nationally knows that Rhee is part of a larger reform movement that includes Arne Duncan and Obama - among many others - who are working to try something new to make US schools better and more accountable.

The teachers union had a nice ride for 30 odd years. They had their chance and they blew it from gross self-serving behavior that had nothing to do with building better schools.

Posted by: lipschitzantwon | June 30, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad that DCPS sent out an email reminding the staff to observe the Hatch Act and not promote or campaign for candidates at work. I wonder if Chancellor Rhee got that email.

Posted by: jedxn1 | June 30, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I like the reform job being done by Rhee but with the infrastructure but the transparency in hiring and the plum jobs given to friends by Rhee, Fenty and others in the administration give me pause.

The demographics in DC are changing and that as much as anything is responsible for the minor improvement in scores.

Posted by: rp10661 | June 30, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

i think that Rhee made things very interesting for the race. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

We may not like what she said about Gray. But she is entitled to her opinion. If your boss gave you the freedom she feels she has from Fenty, you would like your boss.

Gray's problem is that he has to get specific about his view of education. Parents have a right to worry about school improvement continuing under Gray. Let's just hope there is no big education blow up when school starts. It will be too close to the primary for recovery.

Posted by: mamaspearl | June 30, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

dcis1,

Not trying to be sacarstic but would like to know what specific gains did Rhee implement that was made under Janey?

Also do you honestly think that these same gains could have been accomplished with the Principles, Teachers, and system in place when Janey was superintendent?

Posted by: polo07 | June 30, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Rhee is not going to stay regardless of who wins. She is going to move to California to live with her new husband. Her statement about Gray is just a cover up for her resignation if Gray wins.

Posted by: oakiedokie | June 30, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Rhee will hopefully no longer employed by DC Goverment if Gray wins which is great as she is bascially worthless.

Posted by: Drudge1 | June 30, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Boo hoo... Rhee doesn't listen to you...

She's FINALLY done what no politician has ever been able to do -- stand up to the 'excuse-heavy' union.

She got rid of dead weight and is finally making positive changes without listening to the crap that excuses poor results.

She brokered a deal to give teachers a 21% raise. That's what she thinks of good teachers.

For all you whiners, remember that DCPS is the laughingstock of the nation and ranks horribly when comparing what our children can do. At least Michelle Rhee is saying 'enough is enough'.

Posted by: mikecapitolhill | June 30, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm a DCPS parent. Lew has done a great job with facilities. I see a real improvement.

As for Rhee, I see nothing at my child's school but drama and churn. Good teachers and administrators are fleeing. Teaching and learning are sacrificed for DC-CAS prep.

Rhee has made things worse for my child and the rising NAEP scores are a result of gentrification, nothing more.

I'm not excited by Vince Gray, but I will vote for anyone who will get Rhee out.

The sad thing is, I was in Rhee's corner at first. I believe the system needs reform, but not her brand. She's hurting children in general and my family in particular.

Posted by: Title1SoccerMom | June 30, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, who put Allen Lew in the facilities job? None other than Adrian Fenty! In fact, for the ignorati out there Fenty's the guy who wrote the schools modernization act as a Councilmember with Kathy Patterson which is why the facilities are in the best shape they have been in decades!! After decades of criminal neglect by previous administrations I might add. But I guess Fenty shouldn't get any credit for that, or really anything, because he's Satan-personified, lol...

I love reading this sh*t online it just cracks me UP!

I don't have a dog in this hunt, both Fenty and Gray have their distinct shortcomings. I say bring back Williams and Cropp to their old jobs and go back to the future! lol....

Posted by: jeffcoud2 | June 30, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I think the 21% raise will attract good teachers to DC. (Not implying that there aren't already good teachers, but every year people retire, move, resign, etc.)

Rhee is correct that to attract good people you need to offer them something competitive up front.

Posted by: celestun100 | June 30, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

If Rhee is indicted on felony charges, then the big foundations will have to go along until she is cleared. They can choose to with hold their funds if Rhee is not chancellor, but they won't play that type of hardball while she's facing 20 years in prison.

Black people can get ugly if you try to rip the money out of their hands.

Posted by: blasmaic | June 30, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

She's an authority to speak to ones committment based on what? It seems to me that she is planning her own exit. Foot in mouth once again. If she plans to stay, the common sense thing would be to not burn any more bridges. She's burned many beginning with the many no shows to council hearings, her view that consensus building is overrated, her statement, " I don't take that crap." Her constant belief that she is the only one right and everyone else is wrong to include disputing the NAEP results simply because a council member brought it to her attention.

When the budget was adjusted, signed off by the legislative branch and then signed off by the mayor, her boss, the signature of authority, that scaled back summer school and saved jobs, what did she do?

She ignored the signature of her boss and created a RIF. In ALL instances that is an act of insubordination.

Rhee knew Fenty was not capable of keeping up with her and she has done what she wanted without seeking his approval. It shows how little he knows when the only thing he can say when questioned is, "the chancellor's handling that." That's the reason he didn't show up for the debate. You can't talk about what you don't know about. School takeover was his priority but he can't articulate progress, failures, reform efforts or anything else. He can say "test scores are up" but he can't articulate what the data represents.

A new boss is going to expect that she conducts herself like a professional, be responsive, accountable and report for duty like the government employee under contract that she is. The biggest problem with Rhee is that she will have to become the employee that she was hired to be and not the celebrity that she has created. The comment about Gray's committment is evidence that professionalism is still something she has yet to learn.

If she's stupid enough to say that she can attest to one's comittment, then she should leave and when the next experienced leader arrives(he/she will have my prayers), then we will find out what the real damage has been.

Posted by: candycane1 | June 30, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

If Rhee can't have her way, then she takes her ball and goes to Sacramento, Calif.
It isn't about Rhee!

However, good luck Rhee and enjoy the west coast!!

Vote for Vincent Gray for Mayor of Washington, DC 2010!

Enough is Enough!!!
It's time to say "Goodbye!"

Posted by: sheilahgill | June 30, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"In Fenty she has known that she had a not so bright boss and that he didn't question her because he didn't know what questions to ask. "

Candycane -- you are so SMART. Rhee cased Fenty out in an instant. The reason she appreciates him is that she knows she can walk all over him. She knows that won't work with Gray - or pretty much with anyone else who is paying attention.

Now how can you convince those voters who also think they are so smart? They've been reading and believing the Post editorial page, feeling very self righteous and committed to the kids and not realizing they are being duped.

Posted by: efavorite | June 30, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a complicated election for our city...no easy or simple answers...making it personal and mean-spirited doesn't help much, though I'd be the first one to admit Rhee alienates people. I teach in the system and find it problematic on so many levels. Rhee certainly didn't create the mess here, its been slowly accumulating for decades. From my perspective, Rhee has faults but she needs to be able to continue driving systemic change. Expectations are still woefully low. Yes, she is a pain in the *&^@#, but we need continuity and not another change. Ideally, I'd like to see her stay with Fenty or Gray, but be a bit more accountable and have some checks and balances placed on her. I would lose some respect for her if she would decide to leave before the job is done...I could certainly teach better if I had fewer knucklehead administrators in my business, but I stick it out. She should be willing to do so even if the terms change under Gray.
Although its qualified and not absolute, I support her because she doesn't give lip service to changing things here. I am about to compensated fairly whereas many folks just talk about higher teacher pay. Also, I worked at one of the schools that was closed...she made the right choice. It was a pathetically led school that should have been closed years before. She also replaced a principal at a school I was at, and the decision turned out to be the right one. The staff is much happier now and the school is run more efficiently. Again, she is alienating and a pain, but she is getting results. Moreover, the worst is probably behind us...let the IMPACT evaluation run its course and strengthen the teacher corps. Its not perfect but it will remove people who may have have burned out. I totally agree with her that teaching should not be a job for life even though that would be better for me.

Posted by: thetensionmakesitwork | June 30, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Efavorite: I just posted over there as well and thanked WAPO for the votes that they just gave to Gray. This will be my message from now until the primary. I read yours too. I see what the mayor and the ed board have in common. They really believed that no one would see through that crap today. OMG!

Posted by: candycane1 | June 30, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

khathu has it right: It's not about personalities and short-term political fires. True reform will take time and will take place under numerous leaders. The most important element is and will remain the commitment to reform among the people who are most affected by it: DC families. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

It could be that Rhee has played the role she is to play in this important episode of social change. But history will show that her role was critical.

Posted by: 4kids | June 30, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

It takes azses like Fenty and Rhee to get things done when there are problems the likes of DC's. I see lots of hype on Janey, but the truth is he couldn't get his reforms implemented. Rhee is bright enough not to reinvent the wheel; she has been excising the dead wood and implementing what Janey couldn't. It took an asz with balls like Rhee's to get the excess schools closed. Look at our federal government, it took a commission to close bases, we've got Rhee.
Gray needs to spend time to building consensus before he is willing to get anything done. We don't have that time. We can't go back in history. The Fenty/Rhee team has what it takes to get things done. Once we get back on track, then hire someone with a PR person to run the system and make nice with people. But first we have to win the war, and the war has many battles.

Posted by: streff | June 30, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

"The leaders prior to her (including Janey) did not have the backbone to push through the reforms that were needed to BEGIN making changes to a broken DC public school system."

Are you serious? Do you actually believe that Michelle Rhee would have been able to "accomplish" what she without the full support of the mayor?

It is unfair to compare Michelle Rhee with the previous superintendents because she does not have to deal with the same level of oversight (i.e. an elected school board). In addition, the previous leaders did not have the support of the mayor's office or city council.

It is interesting how we forget that Adrian Fenty opposed Anthony Williams to take over the schools when he chair the education and culture committee. But used it as his campaign platform.

Posted by: khathu | July 1, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Whether Rhee leaves or goes, it has nothing to do with the residents of DC. There is always someone who can replace her and do better.

I don't understand why people think these people are Gods.

To make a statement that if Gray is elected that she cannot work with him is staying if Fenty loses, I am out of here. Then leave you can be replaced in a moment.

What about when people die, get sick, etc. Do we feel that they still can be replaced. Stupid.

I don't have that much confidence in any one. The bible states that "man will fail you." We as a society put too much confidence in a person. Then when they do something that we don't agree with or is just wrong, we are get mad.

Vote for who you think the right person to be mayor of DC would be. That is the only important think right now.

For the most part, we already know about Fenty. We have seem him in action for the past 4 years. That's what should count. As one of the bloggers stated, there are a lot more agencies that are suffering in the city instead of the schools. Do some research on them.

Posted by: samvped205 | July 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

judithruss stated the following:

My question? Are you saying that we should vote Fenty back in because or Rhee. She pretty has said that if Gray looses, she will depart.

She is replaceable. There are people who could do a much better job.

We put too much emphasis on an individual.

Posted by: samvped205 | July 1, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

jusithruss - did you support that great Math teacher at Deal getting RIFd? Did that help the children? In any event, if you want Rhee to stay, please urge her not to leave if Gray wins without sirring down to talk with him first to see how they can work together. He says he will do that with Rhee and all Fenty appointees.

Send her an email - I hear she responds quickly to them.

Candycane - Go get 'em. Hopefully we can get through to those supposedly sophisticated voters who will ultimately resist worshipping Rhee as a deity -- an avenging God, no less, who threatens to leave her children (literally and figuratively) in the desert if they do not worship her properly.

Posted by: efavorite | July 1, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Just love reading the same ole, under-informed, plot-seeking crowd, throwing some more coal on the barbie. Telling the same old stories, flinging the same personal attacks/with scant data. And they want to make it a conspiracy, but have not unfurled the scare word literally today, just implied it. Ah, reveling in victimhood, hoping for DCSPS failure, yesssirreee that's the ticket. You've consistently misread teacher and public sentiment all year folks. And you are doing it again. But you're banking on a kind and pleasant, if underwhelming, Council chair; Vince, frankly, is too nice for many of the screamers doing their thing here. He would not want to be in the same room with them.

Posted by: axolotl | July 1, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

To use Gray's word this is so "disingenious." Again, what do the other candidates feel about Rhee...or maybe that is not the right question...how does Rhee feel about the other candidates?

Posted by: PowerandPride | July 2, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse