E-mail Bill | RSS Feed | In-depth coverage: Education Page | Follow The Post's education coverage: Twitter | Facebook

Final count on fired teachers

DCPS has offered updated numbers on the July teacher firings, which were based in part on scores from the new IMPACT evaluation system. After a good deal of confusion, some at my end and some at the other, I'm hoping this is the final tally. In addition to the 75 teachers with "ineffective" scores, there are an additional 51.5 (there's a part timer, I assume) "minimally effective" educators who were excessed -- forced out by enrollment or program changes at their schools -- and could not find other spots by Aug. 13.

So, at the end of the day, IMPACT led to 126.5 teacher firings.

The 241 breaks down like this:

Ineffective: 75

Minimally effective teachers who could not find placements: 51.5

Minimally effective teachers who did find other spots: 8

Teachers subject to dismissal who resigned or retired: 14

Teachers with licensure issues: 42

Paraprofessionals with licensure issues: 32

Probationary teachers: 18.5

The Washington Teachers' Union has said it will challenge the firings.

DCPS says that 26 of the 75 "ineffective" teachers worked in grades that used "value-added" test score data for 50 percent of the evaluations. What's not clear, and what I've asked them to explain, is whether the value-added portion tipped the scales for any of them on their final scores, constituting the difference between staying and going.

Follow D.C. Schools Insider every day at washingtonpost.com/dc- schools. And for admissions advice, college news and links to campus papers, please check out our new Higher Education page at washingtonpost.com/higher-ed. Bookmark it!

By Bill Turque  |  September 3, 2010; 1:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Judge halts AFT takeover of WTU election
Next: Office of Campaign Finance clears Rhee

Comments

You should tell Jonathan Alter and Pat Wingert of the Newsweek this. They would be absolutely thrilled.

Posted by: educationlover54 | September 3, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Better yet, tell Blarney Duncan and Obama about this - I sure this news would make them happy since their great desire is to threaten and fire teachers.

Posted by: educationlover54 | September 3, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

With enrollment dropping as the quality reputation of DCPS education pauses before diving again, do we have more teachers not deemed ineffective than we need?

Posted by: axolotl | September 3, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

These firings, particularly of the excessed teachers, appear to be in violation of the newly negotiated contract. Excessed, teachers, as I can recall, must remain employed for a year. If they do not find employment within that year, then they could be let go. What is this August 13th foolishness.

Would someone just walk into DCPS, pack up the Chancellor's stuff, and escort her out of town? She has self-disclosed to being a child abuser, and she certainly is directing her abuse at grown, hard-working people with her increasingly erratic and unethical behavior.

The WTU has no choice but to challenge these dismissals, and they would do so successfully.

Posted by: vscribe | September 3, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

axolotl

The answer to your question is "yes." Minimally effective teachers who were not excessed by their principals ARE STILL WORKING IN A SCHOOL NEAR YOU.

Add to that the mentor teachers, instructional coaches, counselors, etc. who were also deemed minimally effective under IMPACT are still working in DCPS. Can you imagine have a less than effective mentor or a less than effective instructional coach help teachers to improve their performance.

This is a little known FACT AND IS TAKING PLACE IN DCPS AS FOLKS CONTINUE TO CLAIM HOW WONDERFUL RHEEFORM is working.

Vote early for V. Gray.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 3, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

vscribe if you're a "minimally effective" excessed teacher who can't find an assignment, you are fired. It's only the effective excessed teachers who have a year to find a spot.

Posted by: efavorite | September 3, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

CORRECTION

axolotl

The answer to your question is "no." Also, minimally effective teachers who were not excessed by their principals ARE STILL WORKING IN A SCHOOL NEAR YOU. Again, IMPACT and EXCESSING were the weapons of choice by school administrator to use against folks they wanted to get rid of for a variety of reasons.

Can you imagine having a less than effective mentor or a less than effective instructional coach helping teachers to improve their performance?

Vote early for V. Gray.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 3, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

efavorite: thanks for the correction.

***

Let those claiming unlawful termination to court. But you can bet Vince Gray is not going to rehire all those terminated in the last couple of years, and with good reason.

If Rhee departs, you can also bet there will be several years of chaos as the unionistas try to run the schools, just as they did for decades, even during the union's felonious executive period. The victims: the children, as usual.

Leave No Teacher Behind.

Posted by: axolotl | September 3, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

How many of these teachers were first year teachers?? Or even second year teachers?? I wish Rhee would provide that data to truly understand the full picture. I would like to think beginning teachers are getting tons of support in their schools but unfortunately I know that is not always the case.

Posted by: shells2611 | September 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Torque and readers can you please shed some light when students in DC schools issue books? Also, why is that problem students get moved from certain teachers classes and dumped repeatedly to a particular class? Check out Powell Elementary School.

Posted by: lois3 | September 3, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

=======
=======
What the hell is a "value-added" test score?

--faye kane, homeless idiot savant
Read more of my smartmouth opinions at http://tinyurl.com/fayescave

Posted by: Knee_Cheese_Zarathustra | September 4, 2010 4:45 AM | Report abuse

The "value added" can really effect the teacher's final score. I received a raw score at the end of the year, based on my observations with the Master Educators and my principal, that placed me as highly effective. My students, as so many other students in the district this year, did not do well on the DCCAS. I lost 22 points and fell into the "effective" category. It is disheartening. I realize that people want to believe that a teacher should be evaluated on a test but it simply does not adequately represent what we do day in day out. I felt there was too much testing last year and my kids felt it too. By the time we came to the DCCAS they had hit the wall. My best students did not perform to their ability. When I asked some of them later, after the scores came in, why this was so they told me that they were just so sick of taking tests and hearing about tests. I did so much more in my classroom than teach to that test. "Value-added" is a con job.

Posted by: adcteacher1 | September 4, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

adcteacher1, Welcome to Rhee's world. Many teachers also fell from effective to minimally effective and are now in danger of losing their jobs.

BTW has any minimally effective teachers/staff started any PD to help them improve their performance. Is there a WRITTEN PLAN developed for each teacher? When does the plan go into effect? With the new IMPACT cycle starting on September 13 these questions should have already been answered. Have anyone received an answer.

Also, regarding the September 13 date, many schools are still working on student schedules and with new students reporting everyday, teachers are already placed at a handicap.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 4, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

axoloti wrote: Since so many DCPS educators live in Maryland and Virginia, they give us the answer about whether they would put their kids in a DC Public School. That is the acid test. How would you like your kid in the classroom of the recently terminated teachers?
___________________________
There are many reasons why people choose to live where they do. DC is an expensive place to live. Often moving farther out is more affordable. What about those teachers whose spouses work far away? Perhaps they choose to live in a location that takes that into consideration. I teach in Montgomery County with is nationally known for their schools yet I chose not to live there, as have many of my colleagues. I live in Howard Co. where many of my neighbors are in situations where one spouse works in DC and the other in Baltimore. Also--some people just don't like city living. I suspect that the decision to not live in DC is based on a number of things.

Posted by: musiclady | September 4, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Okay, LET'S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT HERE:

Teacher's unions do not victimize children. The fact is that we fight for quality in all areas, and I resent the idea of pitting teachers against students.

The lack of a good contract makes for an arbitary, willy nilly mess, where anyone can do whatever they want, and those who think that this is good for children are misinformed and mistaken.

Posted by: Onpoint3 | September 4, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

VOTE GRAY, and do a web mobilization as well as the traditonal modes of getting out the vote. Ousting Rhee will send a signal to Obama and company before the midterms. GO GRAY(and I'm not from DC).

Posted by: Onpoint3 | September 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I am a terminated teacher. I am also a grownup and understand the national conversation that is occuring regarding the standards and the quality of education in this country and Washington in particular. I am cognizant of the political implications of DCPS being a paradigm for school systems across the country. I worked hard to provide the best education for my students that I could. I would be willing to accept that others did not view my work as quality work if it had been done fairly. I do not think that it was appropriate for me to hear of my termination on CNN. I do not think that it was appropriate for statements regarding my performance to be broadcast around the country even before the appeals process has been completed. My termination is my private pain and not a topic of conversation for persons who do not know what they are talking about. I do not think that it is appropriate or fair for the school system to change the evaluation system on the next to the last day of school i.e. they had one array of components that we operated under for the year and another array of components that my score was based on.
For those of you who are strong advocates of reform and support the chancellor so completely, then I am sure that you have determined that the end justifies the means. Why else would you remain silent on so many of her failings and inappropriate behaviors. You have determined that the state of the schools was so unacceptable then whatever the chancellor does to destroy people's lives is acceptable. You applaud when the stain of ineffectiveness is put upon someone's employment record because of one year's performance from an untested and unproven evaluation method. A stain that will certainly make them unemployable in almost any capacity.
We are a better people than this. I say this not for myself for those persons who have been caught up in this political morality play. Whatever the outcome of the mayoral election it is clear that you truly have "sown the wind" I certainly hope that you can handle the whirlwind, for "whatever a person sows that shall he also reap".

Posted by: 4therecord | September 4, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

So eloquently stated 4therecord.

Posted by: Unbelievable6 | September 4, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

IF I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "you people don't know what the real world is, welcome to the private sector," I'd be in as good financial shape as a 60 year old who has worked 35 years IN the private sector.

Folks out there need to buy a clue. Teachers go to school for YEARS to be qualified to teach your children, so to cast them aside for Rhee type power plays, is to be without a conscience. If a teacher is weak, they shoud be given help. Firings have usually been reserved for those who have committed heinous things, or gotten continuous bad ratings.

Therefore, what about those in the middle who did NOTHING wrong,that have now been added to our burgeoning unemployment lines? WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS COUNTRY in the name of "reform?"

Posted by: Onpoint3 | September 4, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

As adcteacher1 noted, testing in DCPS for the DC CAS has become problematic. I left 10th grade precisely because of the hysteria surrounding the test. Where we used to have one pre-test (DC BAS), we now have four. THEN students take the DC CAS. I know students must tire of these tests; I certainly grew weary of teaching around them and to them (particularly since they are reading tests which completely ignore grammar). So much happier now in 11th grade. You might want to read about my teaching experience at my new blog, teachermandc@wordpress.com.

Posted by: dcproud1 | September 5, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse