Abe, George Washington, Eddie Jordan, Ernie Grunfeld
1) I was late for the preseason media sessions with Eddie Jordan and Ernie Grunfeld because I saw impersonators of Abe, George Washington, Marilyn Monroe and someone else (maybe Andy Warhol) outside the Portrait Gallery. I thought there was a chance Abe and GW would bust out in one of those mascot races, so I kept an eye on them, temporarily losing my Wizards focus. Up close, they didn't look all that much like Abe or GW, although they were wearing a lot of makeup.
2) The actual Wizards lede, the Official Wizards Press Corps agrees, is this: Eddie Jordan says his goal is to go to the Eastern Conference finals. That's what you will read in tomorrow's paper. That's the headline. That's the story the AP reporter was dictating to his editors just moments ago. (Ernie Grunfeld says his goal is to improve. My goal is to become closer with Awvee Storey and the Wizznuttz.)
4) Wizards insider on Caron Butler's offseason conditioning: "Awesome. Physically awesome."
5) Eddie Jordan on Rutgers's entrance into the top 25: "Got to get Howard on your schedule."
6) When Ernie Grunfeld says "Bernard King," it sounds for all the world like "Burn-out King." Seriously, the first time he said the name, I was trying to figure out who's the "Burn-out King." Kwame Brown, I guess.
7) Eddie Jordan on conversations with Gilbert Arenas: "You can only absorb so much, man. I'll be driving on the left side of the road going home if I listen too much."
8) Ernie Grunfeld on the Redskins: "I don't pay much attention to football."
10) The E's on their actual basketball team: they have more toughness, more versatility, Jarvis Hayes is ready to go, DeShawn Stevenson will do anything they ask, Oleksiy Pecherov preferred to stay in Europe instead of going to some obscure U.S. D-League city, Caron Butler is a potential all-star, Arenas is elite, they don't care that much about opening the season at Cleveland, Etan Thomas and Haywood will be fighting each other for playing time, and they're very happy and excited. Swell.
11) Ernie Grunfeld on the Redskins, cont.: "I don't think we're competing with the Redskins. You know, I've been in different markets. You know, in Milwaukee you didn't compete with the Packers. You know, in New York you didn't compete with the Giants. It's a different animal. It's a different thing. We have our own fan base, we have our own fans that are very interested in us. This is a great basketball town; people really know the game here and we have our own group of friends. We're not going to chip in [to the Redskins' market]. We're not trying to chip in to anything."
12) The Official Wizards Press Corps is irritated that their seats are rumored to be on the move, off courtside and further up the arena. "Will you please blog about that," Post beat writer Ivan Carter demanded. "How am I going to hear Brendan crying when he comes off the court after he grabs three rebounds in 30 minutes?"
13) Ernie Grunfeld on me: "I don't recognize you without your hat." (Plus, the Wizards have prepared a season media credential for me featuring my Olympics photo, in which I'm wearing a Washington Post winter hat. That will earn me nothing but respect in the locker room.)
14) Ernie Grunfeld on the team's once-abused fan base: "I think the fans are very excited about this team and these players. I think they're starting to trust the team, whereas my first few years here you could see that the fans maybe sometimes [thought], you know, 'What's going to go wrong?' Or 'What may happen?' I think now they're starting to trust this team and they're starting to develop a real connection with it."
September 26, 2006; 12:35 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 200 Words, Tuesday Morning
Next: On the Wizards' Hopes and Dreams
Posted by: Colin | September 26, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: WizzNutzz | September 26, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Joshua | September 26, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kim | September 26, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Dan Steinberg | September 26, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: name_that_rash | September 26, 2006 8:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Wise Girls D.C.- | September 27, 2006 12:53 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.