More On Phil Collins

This is what other college football bloggers are blogging about today, right? Phil Collins?

(Actually, they're blogging about hilarious family-friendly tailgates, hilarious Chuck Norris videos and this week's shocking blog poll ballot, in which West Virginia was a shocking 13th. Tennessee is No. 1.)

Anyhow, for those bloggers who are blogging about Phil Collins, here's the update.

I tracked down Maryland's marketing guru Brian Ullmann, who had an incredibly good sense of humor last year when Maryland msgboarders discussed mounting a firebrianullmann.com campaign. I told him that I was making fun of Phil Collins earlier today.

"I'm all about 'In the Air Tonight.'" he said. "You don't like that? Really?...That song is very dramatic. 'I've been waiting for this moment all my life? I can feel it in the air tonight?' That's drama, baby."

Right. Anyhow, it turns out that Team Terrapin had already planned on using "Enter Sandman" against Bill & Mary last weekend, which seems appropriate insofar as it was a snoozefest, and last week's poll was really for this week's game against Middle Tennessee State. The plan was that "Enter Sandman" would replace the lowest vote getter from last week's poll (which, amazingly, and despite my two votes, turned out to be "In the Air Tonight.") I expressed the view that Phil Collins might not have the proper motivational flavor for football, but Brian disagreed, pointing out that "In the Air Tonight" is used by several prominent teams, including Southern Cal via some punky version (more on that later).

The Terps also storm out of the tunnel to "Know Your Enemy" by Rage Against the Machine, and Team Terrapin recently held a contest to choose an original team theme song. I now know the winning song's name, although since the winner has not yet been notified, I can't tell you. I can you tell it has a hip-hop theme, unlike, say, Phil Collins, and at some point I will land an exclusive interview with its creator.

Brian told me three more interesting things:

1) He's glad that the fan poll is generating such interest. "In the past our fan polls have been, 'Who do you think the best offensvie lineman was?' You know, bo-ring. We want it to be more like Dan Steinberg's Sports Bog."

2) During a free ticket contest, Team Terrapin did a qualitative musical analysis of its fans. "It's a classic rock crowd," Brian reports.

3) Brian still likes "In the Air Tonight" despite its last-place finish and an extremely negative e-mail he received.

"The gist of it was, 'Why don't you pull your head out of your butt and listen to contemporary music,'" he said. "Look, I happen to love that song, but I can see why maybe some other people would not be as enamored of it as I."

Anyhow, following the trail, I next called Southern Cal to ask about the punky remix of "In the Air Tonight." Director of Marketing Craig Kelley tried to be very polite about Phil Collins. Apparently, the Trojans once used a Phil Collins tune during warmup, but "it was requested that we not do that again," he told me.

"I don't know what Phil Collins song would really work for our fan base and what we try to do here," he said. "We feel like we should be a little more upbeat, a little more 'hip-hop,' I guess is the word."

The last few years Southern Cal came out of the tunnel to Eminem's "Lose Yourself." This year, the Team Theme is "Encore," so the Tunnel Song is that "Numb/Encore" deal by Jay-Z and Linkin Park.

Which is totally not as cool as Phil Collins.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 5, 2006; 5:56 PM ET
Categories:  College Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On West Virginia and Statues Made of Coal
Next: Another Clinton Working Magic in D.C.

Comments

I'll take the bait and leave the first comment.

"In the Air Tonight" has drama, but not football drama. But let me be clear: If your band sucks so much that they can't get your fans fired up, then you have little business with a college football program in the first place.

Oh, and UGA fans need to get over it. There's plenty of room for them to get hammered and throw up all over the school they never went to elsewhere.

Posted by: TennesseeCurler | September 5, 2006 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Anything involving Linkin Park or Jay-Z is completely uncool. Something where their powers of mediocrity are combined is an atrocity against nature.

Might I suggest the track "Adrenaline" by The Roots. Or perhaps a Led Zeppelin standard if the fans are into classic rock. I would suggest something like "The Wanton Song." Maybe even "Good Times Bad Times," although that could send the wrong impression about the program, however accurate it may be. Try "Communication Breakdown," the theory behind that choice being the Terps crowd will be so rowdy that it will cause the opposing team to have communication problems, thus resulting in numerous false starts, and the like. A bit of a stretch? Maybe. I still think they should consider Zeppelin, though. Even 30 years later, you can't find better rock music.

Posted by: Colin | September 5, 2006 7:34 PM | Report abuse

FTR: the crazy Tennessee-#1-thing is merely a peculiarity of my ballot, not that of the poll at large. That peculiarity will be released Wednesday around noonish. Probably.

Er... want a vote? You seem down, in the parlance of our times, and we have no Maryland voter. Drop me a line if interested: mgoblog at gmail. We promise 15% fewer cracks at OMG MSM dinosaurs.

Posted by: Brian @ mgoblog | September 5, 2006 11:26 PM | Report abuse

UGA was playing In the Air when I was walking into the stadium on Sat, but it was way, way before kickoff. I looked at my brother, and I'm like...WTF are we playing that for? Are we trying to get Western Kentucky to kill themselves? What a bizarre choice. That said, it would make a good rythmic gymnastics song.

BTW -- thanks for the link on the tailgate video.

Paul Westerdawg
Georgia Sports Blog

Posted by: paulwesterdawg | September 6, 2006 12:10 AM | Report abuse

As a former 15 year resident of the Nation's Capital and a current part-time resident of LA (Seattle being the other city), I can honestly say: Southern Californians are nothing like Washingtonians. It doesn't surprise me that "classic rock" polled well.

Full disclosure: I failed out of Maryversity of Uniland and hold the university with nothing but contempt.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 6, 2006 1:42 AM | Report abuse

At least Gary Glitter is now off the band repertoire. It was creepy enough knowing that he'd been locked up for having nasty pictures on his computer, but apparently it took something even worse to dispose of 'Rock'n'Roll Part Two'.

Posted by: Nick S | September 6, 2006 5:42 AM | Report abuse

My high school soccer coach would only let us listen to 3 songs before games:

1) "Ironman" by Black Sabbath
2) "Killing in the Name Of" by Rage Against the Machine (coach didn't like it but he relented to our desire to get thouroughly pumped by this song)
3) and finally...."In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins (most people on the team hated it. I liked it because of the dramatic buildup to the famous drum break but I always thought it put is in more of a frame of mind to be nervous and tight. It was almost too atmospheric. I later realized that he must have gotten into the song from the Miami Vice pilot)

Posted by: Former Marylander | September 6, 2006 2:44 PM | Report abuse

A Tennessee fan slamming Georgia for having bunches of redneck fans who didn't actually go to school there? Right, and I'm sure every one of the 104,000 Great Pumpkins packing Neyland on a Saturday afternoon is a Ph.D.

Posted by: Doug | September 7, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Royalty Free Beats For One Dollar

At

Posted by: Royalty Free Beats For One Dollar | September 15, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse