On West Virginia and Statues Made of Coal
ESPN.com's TMQ here rips West Virginia for its schedule. ESPN's Colin Cowherd does the same. We're coming to West Virginia's defense. (In general. Not regarding the schedule. The schedule is smelly.) Our reasons for defending WVU are manifold, and not just because the 'Eers are sixth in the AP and tied for fifth in the Coaches'.
1) Two weeks ago, a West Virginia man claiming to be Osama Bin Laden led police on a high speed chase before threatening them with a blender.
2) This bloggish site has the best name in the history of the Internet.
4) This song is possibly my favorite of all time. For anyone who can't listen to bizarre BCS songs at work, it's one of the better college football covers of the Dead's "Truckin'" you'll ever hear. Sample lyrics:
Marshall; they won't win. The Terrapins; they're has beens. Rutgers; their program's a sin! Just between you and me-hee-hee.
5) Plus, now that you're in the mood, you can buy yourself a WVU Truckin' figurine.
6) The official song of the state of West Virginia begins thus:
Oh, the West Virginia hills! How majestic and how grand, With their summits bathed in glory, Like our Prince Immanuel's Land!
(As long as we're still talking song choice, WVU uses "Let's Get It Started" on the football field, which means the Terrapins have offered up yet another choice popular with their rivals.)
8) West Virginia fans are very appreciative of any coverage they get in our paper. Maybe they'll even like this item, despite the blender bit. Maryland fans, on the other hand, refer to us as either the Northern Virginia Post or the ComPost. (Recent msgboarder: "Is the Post DC area or have they moved the sports dept. to Blacksburg? Two days- 2 articles on VT, one on UVA, none on MD. Are they circling around and then moving in. Guess they will do Wash and Lee, Old Dominion, Wm & Mary, James Madison, Richmond and Randolph Macon, Hampton Sidney, Marymount then Delaware, Towson, Salisbury, UMBC and then maybe us.")
(George Washington fans, incidentally, refer to us as the Maryland Post. I have yet to meet the McDaniel College fans, who surely refer to us as the GW Post. And the Carroll Community College fans, who surely refer to us as the McDaniel Post.)
9) Anyhow, this is your official Washington Post source for information on the 2007 BCS champion Mountaineers. BTW, I'm coming to Morgantown for the Thursday night game with Maryland and need some volunteers to show me around town before and after the game. Anyone out there?
Posted by: Mag Daddy | September 5, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Dan | September 5, 2006 5:26 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Mike | September 5, 2006 5:35 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Mag Daddy | September 5, 2006 5:37 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Colin | September 5, 2006 5:50 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: District Selectman | September 5, 2006 10:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Wired Fox | September 6, 2006 8:07 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: jhorstma | September 6, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Lay Off the Scarlet Knights | September 6, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.