The Mountaineer Weighs in on Gunston

On our way into the stadium we ran into The Mountaineer, senior Brady Campbell, a wood science technology major (really) with a coonskin cap, a musket and a very impressive beard that he started growing last winter, in the run-up to Mountaineer tryouts.

Naturally, this chance encounter made me think of Gunston, so we stopped The Mountaineer for a chat. I started by asking whether he preferred human-based mascots or fuzzy characters.

"I definitely like human characters better," he said. "When I'm down here at the game and I start yelling at the crowd, I mean, you can tell that I make a difference. I start yelling at these guys, you know, "GET UP, GET LOUD!" Like last week, Eastern Washington almost scored, got down there inside the 5-yard line, a whole set of downs, because we had pass interference in the end zone. And twice they had delays-of-game because the crowd was just going so crazy. I was down there just going crazy as well; I was definitely pumping them up."

"And the furry mascots don't do that as well?" I asked.

"No, because all they can do is dance around and stuff," he said. "I mean, they can sit there and go like this [raising arms], but I'm actually yelling at people: 'GET UP!' Also, I'm a better ambassador for the school. I go around and talk to tour groups, and I can do interviews and things like that, whereas the [furries] can't."

"Some George Mason alumni," I told him, "would prefer an actual human Patriot, with a tri-cornered hat and stuff."

"I think that'd be great," The Mountaineer said. "He could pump them up; he could talk, and represent the school as an ambassador."

He paused.

"They could have two, you know," he said, potentially producing Peace in Our Time. "Tennessee has Smokey the Dog, plus a mascot. That'd be fine."

Then The Mountaineer showed us his musket, and his somewhat controversial Gatorade pouch, and his sweat stains, and then he went to get ready for the game.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 14, 2006; 5:11 PM ET
Categories:  College Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soriano and Jay-Z and Other Stuff
Next: I Attempt to get Beaten Up by WVU Fans

Comments

That is exactly the kind of Mascot we are asking for! Even other mascots can see what is right.

And keeping Gunston and adding a better Mascot was the original plan earlier this year and that is what got killed.

Posted by: gmubrian | September 14, 2006 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I hate myself, someone put me out of my misery. I was much happier back on the editing room floor of Sesame Street. Someone take me back.

Posted by: Gunston | September 14, 2006 5:48 PM | Report abuse

This blog is hilarious! Keep up the good work Dan!

Posted by: MasonPatriot | September 14, 2006 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Brialliant! So Miss Virginia, Mike Sawyer and now The Mountaineer all agree that Gunston should go. What say you now Gunston apologists?

Posted by: Kevin | September 14, 2006 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you are a friend of GMU. Thanks.

Now, I wonder what the PC police out in Fairfax would think of an actual, working, muzzle loading musket. :) Mounties are beating up on the turtles, I see.

Posted by: GMU Alum | September 14, 2006 8:27 PM | Report abuse

To be technical, we have three mascots: Smokey, the actual dog; Smokey, the undergrad in a dog suit; and the Volunteer, an undergrad dressed like Davy Crockett, but who is NOT, in fact, Davy Crockett.

And while you guys alternate between having tea and crumpets (or whatever it is Maryland fans do before they sit politely and watch their team lose) and burning couches, I'll be sitting with 106,000 of my closest friends watching yet another epic Tennessee-Florida battle.

Posted by: TennesseeCurler | September 15, 2006 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Karl Rove went to Mason. I think we need his opinion on this issue.

Posted by: themaskedavenger | September 15, 2006 8:53 PM | Report abuse

TennesseeCurler, I believe Gunston could have gotten more rushing yards against the Gators than your running backs. But on a serious note, we Patriots hate the Gators just as much as you do.

Posted by: Knoxville Patriot | September 18, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse