What the Heck Is This?

Q: Why is this called a Sports Bog?
A: The Author covered the Maryland football team in 2005. When he told Ralph Friedgen he was leaving the beat, the coach replied, "I don't even know what a bog is."

(Who does, really? Check the video.)

Anyhow, the name seemed appropriate, considering this town is something of a swamp. (Or not.) If you want to get really deep, you could also consider this another step in The Washington Post's continuing efforts to wade into the murky quagmire of the Internet sports world, which will eventually cost all of us our jobs. Or maybe you could say our deepest goal is to ensnare bored office types, who will with any luck be caught up (bogged down?) in the wonderful world of weird sports links and inane ramblings. Anyhow, many thanks to Friedgen for the name.

Q: What will the Bog cover?
A: The Redskins, the Wizards, the Nationals, the Capitals, D.C. United, NASCAR, ultimate fighting, amateur rugby, minor-league basketball, cup stacking, competitive yoga, gourmet cheese, craft beer, local bloggers, obscure message boards, reality television, gambling addicts and funny hats.

Q: What's the goal of the Bog?
A: The Editor hopes it will change the future of the Internet. The Author hopes not to be fired.

Q: Can you be more specific?
A: Every morning the Bog will provide a summary of local sports news in, let's say, 200 words or less. Then the Author will take a coffee break. For the rest of the day, he will attempt to inject himself into message board conversations, solicit breaking news from Post reporters and tailgate invitations from Post readers, discover behind-the-scenes information about Redskins punters and Wizards bench warmers and sample the latest in exotic concession-stand fare.

Q: Kornheiser is a lot funnier than Dan Steinberg. Why is that?
A: Higher salary grade.

Q: What should I do if I see Brian Schneider enjoying himself at a local nightspot?
A: E-mail sportsbog@washpost.com.

Q: What should I do if I find a world-changing YouTube clip of Clinton Portis jet skiing while dressed as a Tibetan monk?
A: E-mail sportsbog@washpost.com.

Q: What should I do if Mister Snyder tries to cut down my trees?
A: E-mail sportsbog@washpost.com.

Q: What should I do if I hate my stadium chicken fingers, or if I discover a message board thread about the Orioles' 2007 World Series chances, or if my local cricket club is hosting the East Coast Rock-Paper-Scissors Invitational and would like extensive media coverage.
A: E-mail sportsbog@washpost.com.

Q: What should I do if I write an amazing blog, or bog, or if I discover an amazing blog, or bog, or if my mother or sister or haberdasher writes an amazing blog, or bog, and would like to be linked here?
A: E-mail sportsbog@washpost.com.

Q: A lot of times when people hate a blog, they'll post a comment that says something like "Worst. Blog. Ever." Would that be a clever phrase for me to post if I hate this bog?
A: Absolutely.

Q: I see Jason LaCanfora has a blog about the Redskins, hyperlinked here. Don't you people realize that hundreds of thousands of readers care about the Redskins, while relatively few care about gourmet cheese or minor-league basketball?
A:

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 1, 2006; 4:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Next: What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 200 Words

Comments

I've been waiting so long for a great gourmet cheese and funny hat blog. You've made my day.

Posted by: Mark | September 1, 2006 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Can we just have the hat, and no picture of Dan?

Posted by: Adam | September 5, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Is there an award for having the first deleted comment?

Posted by: Mike | September 5, 2006 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Worst. Blog. Ever.
Looking forward to cheesy posts and posts about cheese.

Posted by: Brian | September 5, 2006 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Glad you're back. Got a craft beer of the week(CBOTW)? How about Loose Cannon by Clipper City?

Posted by: Jen | September 5, 2006 11:17 AM | Report abuse

So when are you and Wise and gang planning to stroll on over to Galileo at lunch time and recreate the Applebee's "Beef!" "Pork!" "Ribs!" "Vegetable Medly!" er "Blood Sausage!" ad?

Posted by: jhorstma | September 5, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Mike Wise said he thinks Maryland will win seven games and go back to a bowl. Does he need to see a shrink?

Posted by: Ralph | September 5, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, you will cover pro boxing in the DC area. I can help you with that. Please visit my blog, Boxing Along the Beltway.

Posted by: Gary | September 5, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Well knock me over with a feather, it's great to see a new bog from you. Was quite a fan of your coverage of curling in Turin (and those other sports going on). Looking forward to this.

Posted by: David | September 5, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

So if Mason doesn't make the tournament this year, is it your fault because you're getting your bog on now? Good work!

Posted by: Dave B. | September 5, 2006 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Dan! Loved your Turin bog, hope this one is just as good.

Posted by: Strawberry | September 5, 2006 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I thoroughly enjoyed your blogs during the Olympics! They were such a welcome change from the standard sports page bloviation. I look forward to reading your new Bog.
Question: do you keep up any contacts with those nice guys from the Kiwi curling team?

Posted by: Owlharp | September 5, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Steinblogger-

Your worst nightmare is back "Wise Girls DC"-ha!

And that littl' kid La Canfora is in a Redskins-like panic that you will take us away from his blog time!!!

If it evahhh takes me this long again to find the "bog" La Canfora will have notta contatta to worry about...

Help?I had to search your name to find this...

Thanks and welcome back!!!

P.S.-Ralph-Wise needs shrink(S)-ha!!!

Posted by: Wise Girls-DC | September 6, 2006 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Way to think outside the bog, Dan. You look like a German tourist, by the way, with that hat. Loved your blogs from Torino. Would like to see more "on-location" blogs from you.

Posted by: D-Train | September 6, 2006 12:11 PM | Report abuse

So far, so good, Dan! ;-)

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | September 6, 2006 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Expect to hear from your fans in Boggy Fottom! Go Colonials!

Posted by: GWfan | September 7, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse