Georgetown Fans, Don't Hate Me, But...

This is what I've found so far....

1) Parking will cost me about $15. Possibly $20. That's lame.

2) The student center food court is not as good as Maryland's, although neither is as good as GW's. GW's food court rules.

3) Many media members seem to have chosen Maryland. Although Dave Feldman is here. Small crowd, though. (Update: late-arriving, would be a better term. Things have filled out.)

4) This event will either take place in the McDonough lobby or inside the McDonough gym. Either way, I'm guessing the set-up is a little slicker at Maryland. But I'm not complaining.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 12, 2006; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I'm Going To.....
Next: Is this America's Most Nicknamed Team?

Comments

Sounds typical of a program that has been out of the limelight for a loooooong time.

Posted by: Babu Bhatt | October 12, 2006 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Out of the limelight? Sweet 16 last season? Consensus pre-season top 10 this season? Babu, you need to work on your English comprehension.

Posted by: Babu Bhatt's Murderer | October 12, 2006 3:58 PM | Report abuse

And still a mid-major level Media Day. Good job!

Posted by: Babu Bhatt | October 12, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

If tournament bids are dished out based on Media Day amenities, GU is in trouble.

If it they are still based on performance on the court, I can sleep restfully tonight.

Posted by: JG | October 12, 2006 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Mid-major media day?

I wonder what GMU's media day looked like last year...

*crickets*

Really, this isnt a pissing contest.

Posted by: the cheat | October 12, 2006 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Like I said in the last thread. Maryland will treat you right and Gary Williams is just much more media friendly, you don't think he gets quoted in almost every story by accident do you? Since the days of JTII the Georgetown basketball program is just not very media friendly and they don't care. As for the Food Court, that has been a problem for a long time and no matter how many times they try to fix it. As for parking, you're in Georgetown, when did you ever expect to be able to park?

Posted by: Chris | October 12, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

One more note on the food court. GU is in, um, GEORGETOWN! You can get any kind of food you could ever want within blocks of the school.

UMCP? Well, better stick to your food court. (Which, by the way, I've been to. It isn't much better than GU's.)

Posted by: Hoya Saxa! | October 12, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

GW has a chick fil a AND a dunkin donuts...i'd take that over Georgetown fare any day

Posted by: Chick Fan | October 12, 2006 5:01 PM | Report abuse

HoyaSaxa, the same can be said of FoggyBottom, but GW still has a pretty solid food court, I blame selling our souls to Marriott, but that's just me.

Posted by: Chris | October 12, 2006 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I have no beef (pun intended) with GW's food. I only wish to remind the Twerps of their painful reality.

Posted by: Hoya Saxa! | October 12, 2006 5:11 PM | Report abuse

You guys must be still in school!!(?) In my day it was just cafeteria food(and very very bad teams). Get a Life. Basketball people BasketBall!! Food Courts indeed.

Posted by: A Hoya | October 12, 2006 5:12 PM | Report abuse

On that note, parking should only be $12 midafternoon.

Posted by: Jack | October 12, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Of course GW has a good food court...that's what you get when you don't have a dining hall or any other staples of an actual college campus.

Posted by: Banned from the Order of the Hippo | October 12, 2006 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Banned from the Order of the Hippo | October 12, 2006 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Actually, to be honest, I wish the GU SID would treat the media a little friendlier...though really, when you live in Georgetown, you shouldn't be focused on finding the nearest taco bell or pizza hut. Especially for a vegetarian.

Posted by: Jeff | October 12, 2006 9:30 PM | Report abuse

What is Georgetown? I mean besides a place to shop and stuff, is there something I'm missing? I'm new to the area.

Posted by: kthhken | October 12, 2006 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what the fuss is about - all of us who went to G-town know that the facilities are not up to par for its stature, and haven't been for a long time. Parking has always been an issue, and McDonough is more suitable as a high school gym than a top 10 Division I school.

This is why a new on-campus arena is so important - the team is on the upswing, we have a more media-friendly coach and Athletics department rebuilding interest in the program from alums and other interested parties. Now's the time for the university to start building support.

Posted by: Go Hoyas! | October 13, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse