Is this America's Most Nicknamed Team?

Vernon Macklin is "The Big Ticket," which is solid. Roy Hibbert is "The Franchise," which is fine, and "Big Roy," which isn't. Jeff Green is "Gangrene," "Super Jeff," "Beast," "Green Lantern" and "The Predator," which is his preferred nickname, although he doesn't have that crazy hair any more. Jonathan Wallace is "Bama Boy," "Cornbread" and "Light Skin," which might not be super politically correct. Also "Bebolati," which can be spelled a million different ways, as near as I can tell, and has something to do with the size of his head. Tyler Crawford is "Bam Bam," "Air Force One" and "TY." Jessie Sapp is "New York" or "J-Sapp." Patrick Ewing is "Junior," "JR," and "Bird Man." Sead Dizdarevic is "The Serbian Child." Also solid.

Incidentally, if you're interested in basketball news, confidence is rampant out here. Like, real rampant. I asked Pat Ewing which team was the best in the area (more on this later), and here's what he said.

"Best team in the area? I'm not really concerned with teams in the area. We're more concerned with the best team in the nation, and I think as long as we get what we need to get done, we're the best team in the nation."

"The nation?" I said.

"The nation," he said. "As long as we do what we're supposed to get done, no one should be able to beat us."

Keeping the expectations low out here.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 12, 2006; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Georgetown Fans, Don't Hate Me, But...
Next: Prisbell Checks in From Maryland's Media Day

Comments

You know if you don't like the media day you can get in your car and cover the non-story going on in College Park. Btw. Yes we are interested in basketball news. I sort of inferred that you get paid to report that. Guess I was wrong.

Posted by: GUFan | October 12, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Actually GUFan this blog is more of a human side type of thing, Camille Powell is there to do the beat reporting type thing. You really need to lighten up, you're making the rest of us Georgetown fans look like pricks.

Posted by: Chris | October 12, 2006 4:42 PM | Report abuse

OK, human side: Is Bill Shapland still around to lord over every interview?

Posted by: JG | October 12, 2006 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I think there is no question Georgetown has the most talent of any area team and if they play up to potential they should be top 5 in the nation.

Posted by: MAC | October 12, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

how is it shocking that a consensus top 10 team thinks that it can be the best team in the nation if they do what they are capable of doing?

Posted by: BSper | October 12, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Dan - Thanks for coming to Georgetown. Come back during the season it should be fun.

Posted by: matt | October 12, 2006 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Dan - Get to the good stuff. What's Ewing Jr's favorite cheese?

Posted by: afro nation | October 12, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Dan - seems like most Gtown fans are ripping you apart on here and also on their board pretty bad even though you decided to go to Gtown for the media day. A few people called you a fake new reporter on their board - seems harsh. This is the attitude that people are referring to when people call Gtown fans spoiled rich kids. Keep up your good work and I always enjoy reading your blog as a local area sports fan.

Posted by: SkinsFan26 | October 12, 2006 5:17 PM | Report abuse

SkinsFan - I'm sure Dan can take it. Anyone who writes a blog can expect to get ripped. Gtown fans are no different than anyone else - if you want outlandish reactions, check out extreme skins!

Posted by: afro nation | October 12, 2006 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Shap was around, but he gave us plenty of space.

Yes, you should feel free to yell at me.

No, I did not come bearing cheese or cheese-related questions (figured it'd be a little bit much on day one).

Also, I don't believe I used the word "shocking." I just was mildly surprised that Ewing would go on the record with such optimistic thoughts. A lot of players are pretty tight-lipped during media events. But good for PEII for saying what he thinks.

Posted by: SportsBog | October 12, 2006 8:13 PM | Report abuse