On MLS Pumpkins

Before I get to the United game, lemme say this about the play in today's Sports section. Now I don't even read the paper copy of the paper much any more, but early this morning I received a phone call from a friend, wondering why in the world a non-monetary, fairly slow Marine Corps Marathon win by an obscure guy from Mexico would take top billing on the front of the sports section over a dramatic series win by D.C. United, an event that was on national television and that brought DCU within two wins of a fifth MLS championship.

The argument for the Marathon story, I guess, is that more than 30,000 people participated in the race, and that they, and all their tens of thousands of family members and friends, would be interested in reading a play-by-play about their event. Which I suppose may be true, but I just can't imagine the front-of-the-pack exploits of extremely non-famous out-of-towners have that many readers.

And I was ready to lecture the world about this injustice, but if you stare at our "most viewed articles" link, as I so often do, you'll note that Mike Wise's Gilbert story, not surprisingly, bests both the Marathon and DCU in readership, as does a story about the Cowboys' win and a day-old story about the Redskins' woes. I've often wondered whether the Cowboys have the most passionate following among D.C. sports fans, after the Redskins. Wouldn't surprise me. Maybe I should embrace Cowboys fans instead of DCU and the Caps.

(I would ask for your opinions on the front-page play, except I fully realize that 90 percent of my readers are from the United fan clubs, so that wouldn't really be fair. But if you want to write in support of the Marathon, or the Cowboys, feel free.)

Anyhow, observations from last night's United game will continue throughout the day, or at least until someone tells me to start writing about something else. And in the meantime, check out the amazing Mike Terry-produced DCU pumpkins, featuring the likenesses of Marco Etcheverry and Christian Gomez (and also DCU super fan Duffman's mom), which were featured at yesterday's Barra Brava tailgate that raised thousands of dollars for breast cancer research, including $2,000 on a bid for a date at Clyde's with Bobby Boswell, who barely earns $2,000 a month.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 30, 2006; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dear Leader Revolutionizes Basketball
Next: The Elders of Barra

Comments

Props to Mike Terry. His pumpkin art has been terrific the last few years. He also has done high quality signs, banners, and grill paintings.

Posted by: DCFan | October 30, 2006 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen today's paper, but the fact that Red Auerbach's obit wasn't on A1 on Sunday was a travesty.

Posted by: matt | October 30, 2006 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Mike Terry's pumpkins were terrific. Well worth the price of admission to the Barra tailgate. OK, even if they charged, it would have been worth it.

Posted by: Kim | October 30, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The Pumpkins Ruled! Mad props to Mike. The incredible likeness of my mother left me speechless and choked up. But I do need to give you an edit. The other pumpkin was Marco Etchevery and Christian Gomez. Both of whom wear/wore #10. One is a legend and one is current team MVP. Thanks for coming out Dan. And thanks for coming out Caps fans. I'll see you at some games this year.

Posted by: Duffman | October 30, 2006 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff.

Do we actually have to vote for a Gilbert Arenas nickname? Or is that poll gonna be there *every* day?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 30, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe I should embrace Cowboys fans instead of DCU and the Caps."

I will cause you great physical harm.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 30, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Obviously it was Gomez, not Moreno. I knew that. My bad, thanks. What's funny is, the Washington Times game story this morning referred to Moreno scoring the crucial goal last night. I was thinking of making fun of them, but I figured that was inviting bad karma. But just for thinking that thought I got the bad karma.

Jay, we're working on switching out the poll for a feature on local blogs, but we've been having some technological issues. If anyone wants to suggest a poll in the meantime, go for it.

Posted by: SportsBog | October 30, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

It's okay Dan. I spent the entire trip back to my house talking about Dyachenko's dummy to set up Gomez only to get home and realize that it was Boswell. And I have season tickets.

Posted by: Kinney | October 31, 2006 12:35 AM | Report abuse