The Elders of Barra

The Elders of Barra are a select group of D.C. United superfans who lead the leadership-averse Barra Brava, one of the team's supporters groups, which particularly favors stinkbombs, alcohol, flag-waving, the color black, skull-and-crossbones imagery, bass drums, charred meat and bellowing at the moon. Currently, as best as I can figure, there are five Elders, including two Bolivians, a Croat, and two self-identified Gringos. Two of the Elders met at a game back around 2000, when they got in a fistfight. With each other.

Also, the Elders hold their organizational get-together at the beginning of the year.

"It's half-meeting, half-blind drunken rampage," one of the Elders told me.

Although I will say that, for all their jokes about alcohol (and there are many), at last night's playoff game the Elders I encountered were more sober than Joe Gibbs upon realizing he might have forgotten to greet a fan 1,500 miles away within the past calendar year. Several of the Elders apologized for not being more entertaining for blog purposes, but they were concentrating on selling tickets and distributing flags and leading cheers and preventing mayhem. As the game was about to end, one Elder (and blog reader) named Chico suddenly appeared next to me, toward the back of the Barra cheering section, looking all business.

I asked what was going on.

"I'm leading the charge of making sure no one gets beaten up," he explained.

See, they really are responsible leaders.

Anyhow, the Elders presided over a tailgate yesterday that involved about 80 pounds of meat (according to a Superfan and drummer known as The Grillmaster), enough alcohol to pickle a mastodon and a raffle that, as mentioned, raised thousands of dollars for breast-cancer research. One of the prizes was an old MetroStars jersey that someone claimed at a rummage sale; it was promptly burned and thrown in a muddy puddle.

"A few years ago, we burned one up in that tree," one of the Elders told me, pointing toward the back of Lot 8. "It was up there for years."

Also, one of the official grills had what looked like three dead cows on top of it. The Grillmaster said it was Lomito. ("Someone asked me what cut it was," explained the Assistant Grillmaster. "I said, 'the left one.'")

All was happiness in Barraland at game's end; even the stinkbombs smelled sweet, of saffron and honey.

(Actually, that's not entirely true. Fans of under-appreciated teams often acquire reputations of being such enthusiastic, upbeat, beautiful loyalists, but I would argue that most dedicated sports fans are basically the same, regardless of the sport or level; they're happy when their team plays well, and furiously indignant when their team plays poorly. After Team Energy Drink tied the aggregate score last night, the DCU fans in my section were not in a particularly upbeat mood. Many suggestions were offered to the team, many of which would not be appropriate in this forum. After the game, I encountered one Barra member screaming to himself, "Peter Nowak, where are you, I'm gonna whip your [bleep], I'm gonna [bleep] you up."

This does not, of course, make DCU fans unique; I'm just saying, hardcore fans are hardcore fans, whatever the sport, and I don't want to hear any of this pablum about how St. Louis Cardinals fans are so kind and gentle-like as they spread their warm and open Midwestern wings over their ballplayers' heads, because I've seen the message boards, and I don't believe it. Plus, Cardinal Nation? Barf.)

(Aside: Lest anyone get the idea that the Barra are some sort of unruly no-good rabblerousers, I was assured tht their members are lawyers and doctors and business owners and shop stewards and PhDs. I was even ushered over to meet black-clad skull-heavy trivia champion Roger Moyer, who won on Jeopardy (twice) and also cashed $32k from an appearance on "Millionaire." No sports questions in either appearance, and he doesn't fancy himself an expert on sports trivia at all, not even soccer trivia. Sports and Shakespeare are his "blind spots."

And if you want to know what it's like to lose on a televised quiz show, Moyer has a deep and abiding hatred for Laurence Olivier, the correct answer to the Millionaire question he missed, and also for King Baudouin of Belgium, the correct answer (or question, or whatever) on Moyer's final Final Jeopardy. The Millionaire question, for $250,000, asked which actor won an Oscar for best actor in a movie he also directed. Moyer guessed Warren Beatty, for "Reds." But in that year (1981), Henry Fonda was the Best Actor.

"For 'On Golden Stinkin' Pond,'" Moyer said. "As a sop. That was a [bleepy] movie. He'd done much better work. The real answer was Olivier for 'Hamlet' in 1948. [Very bad word]."

Moyer would like to appear on a game show again, but he's still looking for the right opportunity. "I keep looking for a game where I don't have to eat worms," he said.)

Discussion question: was Warren Beatty robbed?

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 30, 2006; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On MLS Pumpkins
Next: Pittsburgh: First on Our Backs

Comments

Actually the preseason meeting is a pleasant exchange of policies and ideas.

Nah, we basically take roll call, figure out what kind of keg beer we should buy, talk about all the hot babes in the Barra and catch up on the latest dirty jokes.

Posted by: Chico | October 30, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

As a non-soccer fan...scratch that, as a person who, if the billions of people around the world just stopped playing soccer forever and it wouldn't impact my world in the least...I have to say, those DC United fans are insane. From what I've seen on the Comcast Sports Net coverage...I'd go to a game just to be part of the intensity they put into the experience. The flags and the drums...almost makes watching a bunch of guys running around for an hour and a half, only to score two goals (on a GOOD night) worth it.

Go DCU (for you guys...I really don't have much investment in it.)

Posted by: Monkey | October 30, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if Warren Beatty was robbed, but you've got to think that every actor was because they chose that time to give Fonda a lifetime achievment award.

I'm surprised you didn't bring a beer/cheese selection to the tailgate.

Posted by: Kim | October 30, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

thanks for hanging out Dan, hope you had fun :)

Posted by: Srdan | October 30, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Personally, as a kid at the time, I liked On Golden Pond, despite being determined not to enjoy when my parents carted me along.

Besides, if Beatty had gotten the Oscar, it wouldn't have been a question -- maybe he would've gotten a sports or (another) Shakespeare question...

Posted by: SSFSCoWA | October 30, 2006 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Monkey wrote "As a non-soccer fan ... I have to say, those DC United fans are insane ... I'd go to a game just to be part of the intensity they put into the experience." That reminds me of me, two years ago. The Barra Brava is a gateway drug that leads to becoming a United fan. Why not give it a try? All are welcome - find us at www.barra-brava.com and join in the tailgating this Sunday!

Posted by: Kris | October 30, 2006 4:06 PM | Report abuse

That member that wanted to "blank" up Peter Nowak also wanted to box a kanagroo at the same time.

Thanks for coming out Dan and writing about our group and our leadership. Chico, Marshall, Oscar and Srdan are some of the best leaders I've ever worked with. They are the heart and soul of the Barra and make up for that other loser of an elder. :)

Posted by: Big Rob | October 30, 2006 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Dan thanks for coming out. Marshall, Oscar, Srdan and Chico are great leaders and are truly the heart and soul of La Barra. We have hundreds of members who give a ton to our loco little community but these are the guys who set the standard. They make me proud to be Barra.

Posted by: Big Rob | October 30, 2006 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff. Love the Barra. Can't wait for next Sunday.

Posted by: Kinney | October 31, 2006 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I got two free ticket four months ago from a friend, after that first game i bought season tickets and i always encourage to all my friends to go, it is an incredible 90 minutes of full energy!

Posted by: Martin | October 31, 2006 12:49 PM | Report abuse

United games are a great time. I spent about half a season buying going to every game, and quickly realized that I should probably just buy season tickets for the next year. I have been ever since.

Posted by: Kinney | November 1, 2006 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Alec Baldwin asks for his voice to be removed from an "unfair" documentary about Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Posted by: Landen Reece | November 12, 2006 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Landen Reece | November 12, 2006 6:11 AM | Report abuse

London-born rapper Sway is to be honoured at the BET Hip-Hop awards in the US...

Posted by: Nick Reiter | November 12, 2006 5:41 PM | Report abuse