United Mashup, in Two Senses

So I have news about my United-Caps mash-up campaign. I got an e-mail from Caps owner Ted Leonsis this morning, reporting that he intends to reach out to United President Kevin Payne ASAP in an effort to get some cross-marketing in place, possibly as soon as this weekend. No word yet on whether promotional materials will feature photos of Caps SuperFan Goat crowd-surfing on top of the Barra Brava.

(In response to my other query, on uniform colors, Ted wrote what he's written elsewhere, but just in case you're curious, here it is: "yes--at some point--Caps intend to go back to Red, White and Blue color motif." Maybe that can get me linked on the fantastic Uni Watch blog.)

And on the topic of MLS Mash-ups, some less cheerful news: the league's bizarre ad campaign, with Adidas, brought to you courtesy of Can't Stop the Bleeding. The idea, I guess, was to take a band from the geographic region of each of the eight first-round opponents, and mash-up the music of the actual opponents, making beautiful music four times. Or not.

For the United-Red Bulls match-up, the bands are The Lordz, some hip-hoppin' graffiti artists who used to actually have "Brooklyn" in their name and still boast "We are Brooklyn," which is not technically where Team Energy Drink plays, and Spank Rock, a "raunchy, old-school hip-hop outfit" from Baltimore, which isn't technically where United plays. But it would have been an outstanding mash-up for the 1969 World Series.

Still, if you like United, which you probably do if you've made it this far, you should at least watch the video for the shots of head coach Peter Nowak and assistant Tommy Soehn dancing, or at least swaying, together. You can also hear a lot of lyrics about New York, a city this series will never visit, and see an action shot of my friend Andy and the rest of the Barras.

And now I'm going to throw a pumpkin off an RFK Stadium mezzanine. It's a long story. I'm sure my journalism professors would be proud.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 24, 2006; 11:13 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 300 Words
Next: Lights Out

Comments

That's awesome about Ted and getting some cross-promotion going!! Us fans of the media-ignored sports teams need to stick together.

I wonder if he also read about the suggestion of a rabid fan section. . . how that would go over with the suits who sit in the lower level talking on their cell phones (and, no I don't think everyone who sits down there is like that, but if you do sit down there, you know who I'm talking about, right?).

Posted by: Andrea | October 24, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Ted absolutely rocks and the Screaming Eagles would love to work with him a cross promotion for both teams.

K

Posted by: SEKim | October 24, 2006 10:46 AM | Report abuse

So, does this mean I should wear a black Caps jersey, or just a subdued black Caps hoodie (with a noticeable, yet understated Capitals logo on the front) for the purposes of blending in with the blackout, while maintaining the "cross promotion" theme?

Anybody got any tips on seating locations?

Posted by: Goat | October 24, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

As one of the cross-pollinators you're familiar with (and you know I'll be there):

Goat, as long as you're there, they'll love you. You'll fit right in with the volume. And all the cheers are pretty easy. It's a great vibe and very different feel than hockey (but one I hope we can somehow transfer over -- like the night all those Germans were singing the whole game)

Just fair warning for the vocals... the outdoors will make your voice feel smaller. But so many more people will be yelling with you that you'll feel stronger.

My seat (or rather, the seat I stand in front of when I'm not working) is usually a section over and behind the BarraBrava, with some family andsome friends. But I have a feeling there'll be a sort of open-door policy in place for BB and SE. I'm sure those two groups'll be more than happy to give you the best advice on seating.

(And the sportsbogmaster was worried I'd never actually post something...)

-Grooven

Posted by: Grooven | October 24, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

This is great. As I wrote in my blog, I loved seeing/hearing the Screaming Eagles at the Caps game on 10/14- so turnabout is fair play. Glad to see there's some movement on the "mashup" idea.

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | October 24, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Goat,

I concur with Grooven. I sit...er, stand...in 230 at the United games, and it's one section over and back from the Screaming Eagles/BB. But make sure you get seats on THAT side of the stadium, because that's where the seats move. It's much more fun that way.

Posted by: TG | October 24, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

For tix in the SE Nest go to the Screaming-Eagles website (there's a hyphen in between screaming and eagles and a dot com at the end). We're selling tix fast so people should contact us soon (we're not a general admission/general seating section, BTW)

K

Posted by: SEKim | October 24, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Best sections (for enhanced viewing atmosphere) would be from 132-136 (Eagles and Barra available from each group) or the 200 sections above them. But that's the side that's on TV, is left-center field and bounces and generally has a good time unless the ref screws it up.

Nice to see that Ted's finally waking up to the fact that there are cross-over fans. This blog has likely been a good source for him to realize this.

And yeah, Dan, I've linked you over on uniwatchblog a couple of times.....

Posted by: Kim | October 24, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Along with ticket info there is tailgate info at the Screaming Eagles site as well (contact info is at the site too if you have questions). Friends of the Bog are Friends of Kim so find me and join us.

K

Posted by: SEKim | October 24, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ted is a great guy actually, I used to work for him (well, indirectly)... way back when he was the head of AOL's Digital City Washington. I started as an intern there in January '97 and Ted was always good about chatting with us underlings in the elevator, in the halls or wherever. These were the days when AOL let us have keg parties in the halls on Friday evenings. Ah, how the DotCom world has changed. It was sad to see corporate machinations take over AOL and kill the free-wheeling attitude that made it such a big success at the start... the kegs gave way to bottles, which gave way to off-site (but sanctioned and paid for) happy hours, which slowly gave way to scenarios like this: "Hey you guys wanna get a beer later? Nah, I've still got some work to do. Ok, maybe next week then."

Anyways, glad to hear that United and the Caps are working on some stuff together.

Posted by: SteveWWJ | October 24, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info y'all! (Special thanks to the details from Grooven.) I'm aware that I have a much more localized effect out of doors. although I will admit I'm a fairly skilled chorus leader whenever there's a ray of sunshine at FedEx (that is, the Redskins actually happen to score a touchdown). But as stated, in a group of hollering loons, it only matters that you join in.

Posted by: Goat | October 24, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

speaking of pumpkins, you should totally go to lower delaware for the pumpkin chunkin competition next weekend.

they launch post-holloween fruit a distance of over a mile. and on the way, you could stop back at that cheese place

Posted by: cska delmarva | October 24, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

cska delmarva, sLower Delaware.

Posted by: Kim | October 24, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Kim if I could rep you for the Slower Delaware shot I would. Sussex County might as well be the Roanoke area except for the beaches.

Posted by: Bryan76 | October 24, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Ted has always understood DC United. He was interested in buying the team at one point, but didn't like the league's single-entity structure.

Posted by: SE Podcast | October 25, 2006 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dan about the adidas promotion. I mean, they couldn't get Chuck Brown's phone number? Sheesh...

Posted by: Chico | October 25, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

As mentioned earlier, the Eagles aren't general admission, but the Barra is indeed unspoken general admission. I have season tickets in the Barra, but I couldn't tell you where they are and I have never seen the seats. If you were to start up in the 200s as others suggested (which gives you a good view of the field), but then decide you want to be in the thick of the madness, just walk down to section 135-137 and find a spot. Nobody will question you. All are welcome in the hopes that people will want to come back and join the Barra. I've seen Barra leaders bring down groups of people that didn't have seats in our section. The more the merrier!

Posted by: BarraMember | October 25, 2006 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info, BarraMember. Looking forward to it for sure now! (Of course, I'm thinking the proposed crowd surfing is gonna have to be put on hold.)

Posted by: Goat | October 25, 2006 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Would be great to see some cross-promotion. There's a lot for fans of one sport to like about the other.

Posted by: Eddie C | October 26, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse