What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 300 Words

Most interesting nugget: Titans players screaming "thank you Mark Brunell" after the game. (scroll to bottom)

Ready? The defense, special teams and coaching get F's. In HamptonRoads, the offense gets one too. The BaltSun calls the loss "embarrassing" and "inexcusable." Brunell's arm "had all the zip of

an over-the-hill knuckleballer." A Titans LB makes fun of the Skins' trick plays. The offense gets one first down in the third quarter (on a penalty). Phillip Daniels talks with "his eyes watering." Renaldo Wynn says they need to run the bloody ball. Carlos Rogers breaks his thumb.

WashTimes beat reporter calls for Jason Campbell. Fans chant for Campbell and are unhappy throughout, starting a petition to build through the draft. Wynn says the boo-ers were justified. On the other hand, Brunell (a candidate for Sunday Dud) and Jon Jansen say don't give up hope, and Gregg Williams will ask Jeff Fisher for help preparing for Indy.

Columnists: Get ready for 2007 (Dave Fairbank). This season looks trashed (Rick Snider). "...the Redskins are a mess, a team caught between two styles" (Boz). Gibbs may have it wrong (John Markon). There's going to be "some serious heck to pay" (Don Banks).

Bloggers: "The most disappointing Redskins season in living memory" (Dellistacular). The team will finish 8-8 (jointstrikeweasel). "UGH!" (TheRedskinReport). Bench Brunell, in all B's (weareoutoffocus). Or, Brunell was not the problem (THN). This season is over (By Wing and Wave) after Washington's "latest and greatest on-field abortion" (Fanhouse).

Maryland LT and pro prospect Stephon Heyer was benched during Saturday's win, when the Terps' running backs emerged, leading Friedgen to talk about an ACC title. Virginia gets a D- after the loss, while Al Groh says four plays cost Virginia the game.

(Ed. note: If you don't like football you are not American. That's what the media is telling me this AM. Go here or something.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 16, 2006; 8:46 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Hoyas' Most Eligible Bachelor
Next: This Week's Vegas Top 25

Comments

What if I'm ambivalent, or apathetic towards football? Where do I fall on the American/un-American scale?

What if I said I wanted to see a fight and a Miami-FIU game broke out?

Posted by: Kim | October 16, 2006 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins once again make Monday the hardest day of the week to be a fan. I have already heard it from all the anti-skins fans in my office. I have nothing to say either for the first time. It is my fault for trusting this team at the start of the season. To actually believe coaching saying the pre-season doesnt matter.

THANKS alot Skins. I love the abuse I am getting at work. Sadly it feels the same way as if someone was making fun of a family member!

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | October 16, 2006 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Skins got blown off the ball on both sides of the line, pure and simple. And nice to see the Brunell of old (as in the inept 2004 model). O Line in particular needs to play with some pride.

Posted by: jhorstma | October 16, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I spent Sunday sleeping off a hangover on the couch instead of watching the Redskins lose another game to a supposed inferior team. To the 88,000+ fans who went to the game I have but one question to ask. Why do you still pay hard earned money to Dan Snyder to watch a horrible football team? Stay home and watch them lose for free.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

As one of the millions of transplants who live in the Washington D.C.-area, I can truly say that there is little more satisfying than Monday mornings. More often than not, the Redskins have lost and more often than not, tuning in to sports radio, it sounds like the world is coming to an end.

Here's the best part, though. Those Redskins fans who are so devoted to their team? They unload their tickets to late-season games so quickly, it's astonishing. For the third time in the past four years, I'll get to see my Giants play at FedEx and not have to pay more than face value, if that.

Posted by: RAC | October 16, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse