What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 300 Words

Instead of reading the same boring Skins stories over and over again, watch this animated video of Brunell fighting his guts out. Thanks to MisterIrrelevant.

But if you can't help yourself, Al Saunders skips the Marine Corps Marathon to, what, add pages to his playbook? Actually, some plays have been tossed out. Brunell leads the NFL in window dressing, while our favorite Skins blogger recommends Brunell visit the Sackler Gallery, which seems as good an idea as any.

Anyhow, Georgetown adjusts to being the hunted, Rick Pitino calls the Hoyas

one of "two great teams" in the Big East but JTIII says all the teams are even after Pitt, and Jeff Green could be the league's best all-around player. Elsewhere, we have more big talk from CAA coaches, who are thinking multiple NCAA tournament bids even as they continue to celebrate Mason's run, which has Larranaga still in the spotlight. And Karl Hobbs is already convinced his GW team is overrated.

United's Troy Perkins wants to start for the U.S. national team one day, United's Bobby Boswell keeps photos of Ben Olsen on his computer, a Vancouver paper talks about the Caps winning the Stanley Cup (by the end of the decade). Those Caps lead the division in blogs and Joe Sakic says Ovie is "definitely the most exciting player" in hockey, while the club is dogged as a "lower-tier" Eastern Conference team despite being sixth in the East in points-recorded-per-game. Haters. Nats asst. GM Tony Siegle is gone after nearly five years, which could lead to his 24th baseball boss, and the Phillies' AAA manager is enthusiastic about the Nats job, via Venezuela. And I guess this means the Wizards look like an Academy Award?

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 26, 2006; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I Meet ZoneAdmin and ZoneManager
Next: Fixing the Baseball Playoffs. Ideas?

Comments

Funny how the Times doesn't mention that while not playing soccer, he not only boats, but goes to his OTHER job.

Some guy at the Post had a nice article about that this summer......

Posted by: Kim | October 26, 2006 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I may live in Georgetown but I went to Pitt (and Arizona). This is going to be one crazy ass season. Sam Young POY.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 26, 2006 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Unsilent Majority, nothing personal, but as a Sun Devil, you're now my mortal enemy. =)

Posted by: Kim | October 26, 2006 9:38 AM | Report abuse

That UofA-ASU rivalry is quite intense. Much greater than any I experienced at Maryland, even that Dook hatred. Based on an indoctrination of some ASU grads, I have to say, Go Sun Devils!

Posted by: kate | October 26, 2006 10:02 AM | Report abuse

hmmm...I know a girl named Kim who went to ASU...

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 26, 2006 10:06 AM | Report abuse

My only U of A allegiance is to Salim Stoudamire

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 26, 2006 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Unsilent Majority, you're waaaaay off.

I find the percieved Duke-UMd rivalry interesting in that it's not really a rivalry. It's borne more out of UMd jealousy of Duke, you rarely see Duke 'get up' for UMd events other than basketball.

ASU-UofA is everything. There's competetition from football, basketball, women's soccer, baseball, state funding, exposure, who paints who's 'A' the most.....it permeates everything.

Posted by: Kim | October 26, 2006 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Don't believe any Dookie who says he/she doesn't get up for Maryland. In the big picture, it's not a traditional rivaly, but they are flat out lying if they say they don't care about Maryland.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | October 26, 2006 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Do the crowds turn out for a UMd/Duke football game? Is Duke's year a positive is all they do is beat the Terps in anything?

It's a decent basketball rivalry based upon the performances of each team. Other than that, it's not much, especially when you look at the perception of the folks in Durham.

There really aren't that many 'good' East Coast/North East collge rivalries. BU/BC is a good one, UVA/VT has the potential to really boil over now that they're in the same conference.

Posted by: Kim | October 26, 2006 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh come on, ASU couldn't touch U of A when they had Ike. Now that we've got Chase it's all over but the crying.

See, now you've dragged me back into the rivalry

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 26, 2006 10:26 AM | Report abuse

ASU can barely touch UofA in basketball.....just the way it is. Somthing to do with Lute cheating, and ASU coaches failing at cheating.....but UofA is just better.

I fondly remember the days sitting behing the UofA bench waving a Fed Ex envelope with dollar bills falling out of it......

And to put my years in perspective, my initial reaction was Ike Austin, not Diogu. .... and I still hate Matt Othick.

Posted by: Kim | October 26, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

ok, not the same kim

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 26, 2006 11:00 AM | Report abuse

geez, kim...jack...get a room, you two!

Posted by: wdc | October 26, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Who's Jack???

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 26, 2006 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, seriously, who's Jack? And doesn't he have anything better to do?

Posted by: SportsBog | October 26, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Jack.

I get told that quite frequently.

Posted by: Kim | October 26, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse