What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 300 Words

Eddie Jordan seems "almost too nice" to be an NBA coach, Songaila might miss all of November and beyond, Tom Knott takes more cheap shots at Etan Thomas, newly promoted Wiz assistant Mike O'Koren talks about his promotion and Bog friend Bullets Fever predicts 50 wins, way above Vegas's over-under. (Seriously, hop on that over.) Also, Ovechkin's leg

is "100 percent" after he was hit by a puck ("Russian machine never breaks!"), but Nick Rimando's ankle is not fine.

John Russell is really really really interested in the Nats job, and Nats ticket plans won't cost more this year. The Skins are not only bad, but also old, and their confidence in the Saunders offense has cooled, as has my interest in this trainwreck. (Blog boy Jack's has not.)

The Hokies defense is already, um, pleasantly confident again after "a major, major win" that put Va. Tech back in ACC championship game contention and had "experts" admitting they don't know anything. Aaron McFarling says it was all because of guts. (Seven times.) I say it was all because of the uniform change.

The Cavs encourage Cleveland businesses to leave their lights on during the opener against the Wiz (what energy crisis?), DCU midfielder Ben Olsen reads art magazines in his spare time while Gil draws stick figures, Bog friend Dave McKenna profiles the creator of that terrific Mark Brunell cartoon, and Bog friend David Betancourt whips Ovechkin on his Xbox. Way to represent, Dave.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 27, 2006; 9:08 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Have a 2.8 Percent Chance of Finishing Above .500
Next: Sean Casey = Mark Brunell?

Comments

You might want to alert Bobby Boswell that that Olsen article has another Benny picture for his collection.

Posted by: Kim | October 27, 2006 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. That 40.5 O/U feels ridiculously low...

Posted by: J.E. Skeets | October 27, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

um, tell me how the Wiz have improved their D? Etan/Brendan still at center? They pick up an injured Songaila and lose Jeffries for a net decrease in NBA-quality players? No D, no inside presence, no depth, no 40 wins. I'll take the under.

Posted by: jhorstma | October 27, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Deshawn Stevenson is a better perimeter defender than anybody we've had in years

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | October 27, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Tom Knott is a buffoon. He thinks he's clever, but he isn't. He's just sad.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 27, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Steiner.

Why has no one gone ballistic about Gilbert's revelation that his dad one deliberately broke Gilbert's pinkie when he was 11 years old:

"Every Sunday, you know, we'd go to Balboa Park. He was teaching me before, you know, the actual guys came and started playing so we're playing 1-on-1. So, I was reaching, you know, reaching for the ball, and he was like, "If you keep reaching, I'm going to break your pinkie." You know, thinking, "Yeah, right," I reached in there, he grabbed it. CLICK. Wooo! My right hand. I kicked the ball. I quit. I wasn't really serious about basketball then, I was just doing it because he was playing. I was like 10 or 11, I didn't get serious till I was 12.

We just put a little cast on it, put it in a little sling. "

From Gil's NBA blog.