Where to Watch MLS Games on TV?

Help, DCU people. I have an e-mail from reader Gretchen, asking for sports bar recommendations in which to watch Sunday's playoff game.

"I was hoping to find a sportsbar full of fanatics that really get into their soccer," she writes. "NW is preferable."

Sadly for Gretchen, there's this growing subculture of sports fans who like to go out on Sundays and watch a little thing called NFL footballl, which might impinge on her designs. Still, DCU people, any ideas?

Although why she wouldn't want to go to RFK is beyond me, especially when she sees the tailgating alcohol list the Screaming Eagles are promoting, which includes: "our usual two kegs of high-quality beer - Red Hook IPA and Spaten Lager - plus the world-famous Rumberg Horse-Killing Liquor Keg of Death , a giant 1.75L bottle of Hpnotiq, AND a bottle of the new reddish-orange bizarro liquor sensation X-Rated."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 27, 2006; 10:12 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A DCU Name Mystery is Solved, and a Wizards Name Mystery Emerges
Next: Old basketballs, New Basketballs and Pumpkins

Comments

Ummm. Yeah. It's a home game, so any/most fanatics would indeed be at a little place called RFK.

We could call it DC's Ultimate sports bar for a day. It has a large screen, good atmosphere, plenty of parking, the fire marshall doesn't get upset until it starts to get around that 56,000 mark.....

Summer's in Arlington, Lucky Bar on Connecticut are a few of the soccer friendly establishments.....

Posted by: Kim | October 27, 2006 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, what Kim said...every fanatico in town will be at RFK on Sunday...Summers, Lucky Bar, and Kilroy's in the Springfield area (http://www.kilroys-restaurant.com/) are the prime venues when the team is on the road and you can't make the trip.

Posted by: Ed | October 27, 2006 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I see Ed and Kim beat me too it. Lucky Bar is a really good soccer bar in the city. But on Sunday everybody is going to be at the game.

Posted by: Kinney | October 27, 2006 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Come to RFK, Gretchen. It DC's bounciest sports bar.

Posted by: Bryan76 | October 27, 2006 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey, lot 8 is the classiest place on earth: Fireplaces, traditionally prepared food, and the roomiest toilets imaginable. And the view, c'est magnifique.

Posted by: Will | October 27, 2006 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Gretchen, come on down. Why oh why wouldn't you just come to the stadium sweetheart.

Posted by: Hansel | October 27, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

There's no pressure Gretchen (but for the Love of God woman, get your butt to RFK!!!) If you can get yourself a game ticket, come find me at the SE tailgate (I'll be the woman in the red fez, you can't miss me!) and we'll take care of you from there.

But for whatever reason you can't, you could try to see if the Pour House or Trusty's Full Serve will put on (the Pour House is a Screaming Eagles hangout however I would expect they would have pointy ball on that afternoon, you might have more luck at Trusty's). Do a search for Pour House DC and you'll find the site for both (they're affiliated).

K

Posted by: SEKim | October 27, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Gretchen, the Home Ground is the place to be!! Sections 132-137, Barra Brava and the Nest. Be Loud Children, Be Proud, United's gonna do it again'!

(apologies to Charlie Daaniels)

Posted by: Mark | October 27, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The beer will definitely be flowing in section 310, which is a de facto bar come game time.

Posted by: Kelly in the Big Blind | October 27, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Someone's been reading my e-mails :)

I think next year we might just have a fully stocked bar available all season.

Posted by: Paul | October 27, 2006 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If Gretchen (or anyone else reading the Bog with a similar question) feels that diving into the rowdy supporters' sections of RFK is a little too intimidating for one's first trip to the stadium, there are plenty of seats outside of those sections as well -- family-friendly sections where one need not feel compelled to stand up, drink, and sing through the entire game. Call your friendly DC United ticket rep at (202) 587-5000.

Posted by: Kris | October 27, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Ya know, I met a Gretchen in 1999 in Charleston prior to DC's epic USOC loss to the Battery. If you are she, look me up at the Barra Tailgate or follow your ears to the bass drum(s) in 135. I'm sure my friend Lonnie would likewise love to see you (he and I were on a roadtrip then).

If you are not that Gretchen, I suggest that you visit both tailgates. La Barra tailgate will be immense on Sunday. We've got two bands playing and a big asado (grilling food). SE's sound like their 'gate is gonna be good, too, so check em both out. Email Oscar at hozkar98@cox.net for barra game tickets.

GM

Posted by: GrillMaster | October 27, 2006 11:38 AM | Report abuse

erm.. it's a home game, why would you watch on tv? :) Get thee to RFK.

Posted by: Srdan | October 27, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Gretchen, making with the going to RFK!

And no worries, there will PLENTY of other chicas (like myself) there - contrary to popular belief, DC Unietd games are not just one massive sausage party (minus the sausage that will be grilled beforehand, of course).

Posted by: Riz | October 27, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Bogmaster...what's going on today? First a cheerleader getting hit in the head with balls (the softer the better)....now Riz's sausage party...

Dirty Friday blog :)

Posted by: Bryan76 | October 27, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Do NOT go to the Pourhouse to watch the United game this weekend. The Pourhouse is a Stihl'rs bar on Sundays and with them having a 4:15 game you'll be miserable even if they let one of the sets change away from PIT/OAK.

The Capitol Lounge a block away is usually very soccer-friendly, but I don't know if they're allied with any football team fanclub or anything like that.

I just had to steer you away from bad advice. My vote -- go to the United game at RFK. If you can, sit on the bouncy-bleacher side.

Posted by: Grooven | October 27, 2006 4:11 PM | Report abuse

If you can get there, go to RFK, you won't regret it! Now that I'm on the left coast I WISH I could go on Sunday.
VAMOS UNITED