How to Pronounce Etan Thomas

Since I raised the question, I might as well answer it. I finally asked E-tan/e-Tan how to pronounce his first name, and he told me that it is, in fact, the latter ("e-Tan"), and has been throughout his entire career. I pointed out that I'd heard several teammates go with the more forceful E-tan, and that a few teammates insisted that was the correct version, and that I now wondered whether his teammates actually knew how to pronounce his name.

"A lot of times they don't," Etan said. "They say E-tan. I'm like, 'Ok, whatever.'"

How can this be, I asked? They're his teammates. Teamwork is all about communication and respect? Why don't they get it right?

"They just don't," he said. "That's the only thing I can say.They just don't. It's spelled with an 'E' so they act like there's an accent above the 'E,' and there's not. After a while you're just like, 'Ok.' After a while you get tired of correcting them."

Forget PT and dreads; maybe that's what the throwdown with Brendan was about. Brendan called e-Tan "E-tan," Etan called Brendan "Brenda," and next thing you knew bodies were being slammed. So does anyone inside the organization, I asked, actually get it right?

"Some people do," Etan said. "Coach does. So that's ok."

[Edit: Was I the last person to learn that Andray Blatche's first name is pronounced Ann-dray, and not Andre? The Wiznotes make that pretty clear, and Eddie was calling him Ann-dray yesterday. All his teammates say Dre, if I'm remembering correctly, so maybe that's why I never noticed.]

And have you been curious about the latest addition to Gil's massive uniform collection, which includes an Ostertag, despite the words of a FreeDarko commenter, who wrote "I know of no one who would wear a Greg Ostertag jersey. Not even in jest."

Well, here's the answer. Yesterday, Gil received a Rafer Alston Milwaukee Bucks jersey. Rafer was drafted by the Bucks, played with the Idaho Stampede and then spent three non-descript years in Milwaukee, averaging about three points and 11 minutes a game. This is worthy of inclusion in Gilbert's jersey vault? Has he no standards? Who's next, Ledell Eackles? Awvee Storey?

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 21, 2006; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 300 Words
Next: Wizards Give Thanks, Eat Chitlins

Comments

Dan, you're really not giving Rafer his due. This is Skip to My Lou we're talking about here. I'd rock his jersey with pride.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | November 21, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I phrased that poorly, I just don't get why it would be a Bucks jersey. I mean, no one would say he did his best work with the Bucks. Some sort of Rucker League jersey, or a Raptors or Rockets jersey once he became a starter. I just don't associate Skip to My Lou with the Bucks.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | November 21, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I think more obscure jerseys are cooler than the obvious ones.

Who cares if you have a Michael Jordan Bulls jersey? 1/3 of the planet have those. Will Perdue? That's cool.

Sometimes obscure players with a cool story make for a better jersey for a collection. And the Wizards stock-room is likely a good place to start such a collection.

Then again, I've got a DC United Geoff Aunger jersey.......

Posted by: Kim | November 21, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, Awvee Storey was wearing a jersey under those warmups? Get out of here.

Dan, can you ask Gilbert what was up with passing out 20,000 t-shirts that were XXL? Is he calling us fat?

Posted by: bryc3 | November 21, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

bryc3,

I believe the philosophy is 'All fit one size'.

Or he found a wholesaler who had a smokin' deal on 20,000 XXL t-shirts.

Posted by: Kim | November 21, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Dan, if you call me out like that again, i will be forced to thrash you.

Signed,

The fake Ledell Eackles.

Posted by: Ledell Eackles | November 21, 2006 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with the dude who said rockin' the obscure jersey is much much cooler.

Also, Ledell could nail the 3.

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 21, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

My San Diego Clippers World B. Free jersey agrees with this sentiment

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | November 21, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey! What about a game-used Granville Waiters jersey??

Posted by: Section 103 | November 21, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

You can't tell me that a throwback Kevin Duckworth Bullets Jersey would not be off the hook.

Posted by: Ledell Eackles | November 21, 2006 4:34 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Gil's next t-shirt giveaway days are scheduled for December 13 (Denver) and December 15 (Miami). Word on the street is they'll be giving away Jahidi White thongs, but I can't make any promises.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | November 21, 2006 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Gil, show some love to the other season ticket holders(5 yrs) with your jerseys. I'm right by the visitor's tunnel(although they put the press "RIGHT BESIDE" me this year blocking my view of the visting players going in and out of the locker room). I was talking trash to Danny Ferry(he was sitting next to me in the press seats) the other night while you were clowning LeBron. I kept telling him you were "ON FIRE"!!! He smiled and said, "yup"! Come up to press row and holla at your boy!

Posted by: D from section 118 row L | November 22, 2006 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Game worn jerseys trump big-name jerseys. That said, someone hook me up with an S2J2 (Robert Ssejjamba) United jersey before he disappears.

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 22, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse