A Morning Dose of Gil
While I have a love-hate relationship with my blogging cohort wizardsdotcom and have told him as much, I'll give him much credit for linking to Gil's Ahmad Rashad interview this week. (But please fix the spelling of Ahmad's last name when you have a sec.) To me, the most fascinating thing about the interview was that Ahmad asked Gil about the East Coast-West Coast deodorant issue, proving that Ivan Tha Terrible is well-read. (Gil said James Lang "had to get changed in the Laundromat....he had to pay for it.") That's almost as good as this line from Gil's latest blog, about NBA all-star voting:
I know Puffy had the Vote or Die, you know, with them shirts. You know, I want to have, "If no one votes for me, I'm not going to do anymore blogs."
I will personally get three t-shirts made that say that, one for me, one for Gil and one for wizardsdotcom.
Anyhow, here are the highlights of the TV interview, which might or might not be new stories:
* Gil was once forced to buy donuts for the Warriors. The favored donut shop was 45 minutes away. He didn't want to do it. So he bought powdered sugar donuts, licked off all the powdered sugar himself and replaced the sugar with baby powder. Chris Mills ate one of the donuts and then apparently beat Gil up. "I wasn't really actually being funny on that one, I was actually mad," Gil said.
* Gil said his best-ever prank was stealing a fish from a fish pond and putting it in front of a teammate's house and then spraying it with a fire extinguisher to make it flop around. I sort of figured the fish might flop around on its own once it exited the fish pond, but apparently not. This has officially cost him whatever goodwill he may have earned with PETA by praising the new NBA basketballs this week.
You know, speaking of fish, I think I missed this dialogue from a Web chat Gil did last year. Not sure how.
William (Rockville): Gilbert, What was your other dream to become other than playing in the NBA?
Gilbert Arenas: My other dream? Wow......hmmm.....that's a hard one. I wanted to work for McDonald's. I wanted to be one of the cookers, because I loved McDonald's fries.
Upper Marlboro: So what do you love about McDonalds? The Big Macs or Filet of Fish..
Gilbert Arenas: The Big Mac! The special sauce on the Big Mac. I even ask for that when I get cheeseburgers. It might just be Thousand Island, I don't know, but I just love that special sauce!
* Lute Olson started off the segment by remembering how Gil used to turn the lights off during team meetings at Arizona and then sneak out of the room.
* Ahmad asked him about the boxing robe and showed some video of the introduction. Gil's response: "being a character." Not quirky, just a character. Anyhow, it turns out that the robe might not be the final word for pre-game introductions.
"I already know what I'm gonna do next year," he said. "I think I'm trying to come from the ceiling with the ropes."
"You never cease to amaze me," Ahmad said at some point, which seemed appropriate.
And now for blog highlights. I'll limit myself to his Thanksgiving plans and his metablog commentary:
* "Thanksgiving is coming up. Be thankful. We're actually going to be in Memphis, so we'll probably go to a Brazilian restaurant across the street. Or we'll go to a soul food place, what is it? DÃ©jÃ Vu? Probably DÃ©jÃ Vu I think. Or I'll just eat a nice hamburger and just call it turkey. Ha, no but, I have a chef actually, his name is Willy, coming from New Jersey and he's bringing food for me that Saturday. He's a great cook, yes. That dinner will be myself, probably my daughter and her mother."
* "I just want to give a shout out to everybody who is reading my diary. The crazy mind of me ... Every week. Thank you very much, I appreciate it, I'm glad I keep you guys entertained ... As long as they let me."
Crazy, that's fine. Quirky, heck no.
(Btw, Topps is now on the Agent-Zero bandwagon, as the Nutzz continue The Takeover.)
The comments to this entry are closed.