What You Need to Know, in Fewer Than 300 Words

The Jason Campbell reviews: "poised and calm" (his dad). "He's cool, man" (B-Lloyd). "Very calm, very calm" (TB safety Jermaine Phillips). "Incredibly cool" (BaltSun). He "proved the change from Brunell was long overdue" (Rick Snider). "Brunell wasn't missed at all" (Dan Daly). The Brunell era's short passing game was noticeably absent (WashTimes). "A kid quarterback with some poise, wheels and a rifle" (Boz). "I guarantee we're going in the right direction" (Campbell).

Also, the Skins had their worst rushing game of the year, handling the offense was like "hitting a slow-pitch softball" for the Bucs, Archuleta is like off the depth chart or something and his agent says he's the scapegoat (I thought that was Brunell?), the defense is a mess "and the prospects for improvement are slim and none," and Gregg Williams explains that Cadillac "ran with passion." Whazzat?

Soriano takes off for the fifth-largest contract in MLB history, and Stan Kasten says he has no regrets after the Nats were never given a chance. Jarvis Hayes is now day-to-day, the Wiz are getting beat on the boards, and here's video of a shirtless Eddie Jordan.

The Terps still have a half-dozen bowl options, and Ralph Friedgen sells out his wide receivers . Gary Williams takes a shot at the football program and regrets scheduling Winthrop (which the Miss State coach calls a top 10 team), while the Maryland women don't complain about their schedule and rip GW.

Old Dominion gets its biggest win in six years--over Georgetown, which blames itself (although ODU went 15+ minutes without a turnover). (Also, an out-of-town writer calls Hoyas fans "out of control.") And the Maryland field hockey team wins another national championship.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 20, 2006; 9:18 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Where to go on Sunday
Next: Disgruntled Skins Fan on Route 123

Comments

GU loses... and look at that, GW is 3-0!

Posted by: Boggy Fottom | November 20, 2006 9:42 AM | Report abuse

you didn't post any wizards updates over the weekend, so i figured i'd include this here. gilbert crossing lebron up (very short clip- five seconds) en route to hanging 45 on the cavs.

Posted by: bryc3 | November 20, 2006 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I didn't think Gary was really ripping the football team ... if anything he was saying that they know what the deal is and they're scheduling appropriately.

Posted by: C. Stone | November 20, 2006 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm almost done with my George Mason review.

email me son

Posted by: COme on big poppa | November 20, 2006 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, was very impressed with GW's win over Longwood.

No offense GW fans. But Mason has played one legit opponent, Georgetown has played two, Maryland has played two and will face a third tonight, and you all beat Longwood at home. Sunday at Providence; now that'll be interesting.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | November 20, 2006 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Now Dan, that comment won't get you positive press on GWHoops.com.

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | November 20, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

First time Georgetown's lost at McD in 24 years.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | November 20, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

I can't believe that you're looking beyond Kennesaw State.

Posted by: Kim | November 20, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

I have no idea what the hell the UFC is, but I have every intention of following you to the ends of the Earth if you're going to mention me in your posts.

MMA stands for Mid-Major Afros, right? Dan had that story covered. I guess we can't assume anyone connected with the Mason team reads the blog though, cause that fake-ass Darnell the Crabman wannabe Ogirri murderized us on Saturday afternoon.

Posted by: bryc3 | November 20, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Tough love Dan, but we can take it. Hail to the Buff & Blue!

Posted by: Boggy Fottom | November 20, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I have never once been impressed with Greg Williams as a defensive coach. He has always been hyped up as this defensive genius. I get tired hearing awful TV announcers expound on the Williams "aggressive style of defense." who the heck are they kidding?

If Williams' players are dogging it, it is his fault. PERIOD. Why is no one calling for his head? I think he goes if the D does not turn around.

Posted by: wch | November 20, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

So now that Maryland is out, we're going to bury our heads in the sand and forget about college soccer? UVa is in the quarters, and plays Notre Dame Friday at 6 pm. Maybe you should check out the real soccer power in the region, Dan.

Posted by: FS | November 20, 2006 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'll be honest, I sort of volunteered to actually cover that UVA quarterfinal for the paper, but then I realized it was 6 pm on the Friday after Thanksgiving. That's a tough sell when my family lives in the opposite direction. Plus, Charlottesville, D.C. SportsBog.....dunno if it works. College Park is bad enough.

I'm mad that I never managed to do an item about A.J. Godbolt's father. A.J. is on the MD soccer team, and his father is a sportstalk radio host in Texas. That was a real miss. Maybe I'll do it even though the Terps lost.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | November 20, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Dan, nobody has cared about UVA since Il Bruce left them. The Terps are young, and if Seitz sticks around they'll be in contention again next year.

The recent outcry over fan behavior/offensive chants is just plain ridiculous. "Swearing" has lost pretty much all it's original offensive currency, and the creativity that a lot of fans put into their displays is great.
"Feldman = Dead To Us" "ZIZOU = Headbutt Youri = Butthead" and who can forget "JJ is Ridiculous(ly gay)"

Posted by: AlecW81 | November 20, 2006 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Eddie's got a nice little set of boobies on him, don't he?

Posted by: Fat Lever | November 20, 2006 6:36 PM | Report abuse