Caps Urinal Cakes and Caps Fan Celebrities

So after the Caps lost to the Pens in that shootout Monday night, I caught up with a group of local sports celebrities in the Verizon concourse. The group included Caps superfan Goat, Goat's sister Elenora, La Barra Brava's Duffman (the leader of the Caps' yet-to-be-named-but-still-very-much-alive European-style supporters group), fellow Barra member Banshee Jay, and Caps season ticket holder Peggy.

(Note to prospective bloggers: the good thing about covering fans instead of athletes is fans are more likely to read your blog and send your blog to their co-workers and post comments on your blog than athletes, Nick Rimando excluded. I'm hoping by the end of the day we get comments from all five of the local sports celebrities mentioned above. Or at least people claiming to be them.)

(Another note: if I hadn't met up with these local celebrities in the concourse, I never would have been there when some of them went into a men's room and screamed in delight at the little glossy photos of Sid Crosby in each urinal, resting gently atop the urinal cakes, accompanied by this text: "I'm thirsty."

"Ok, that's funny," Jay said.

"We might have to steal that one," Duff said.

So Landon Donovan's face might be coming to an RFK urinal near you.)

Caps fans apparently don't like the guy on the left all that much. (Ron Schwane - Reuters)

(Another note: I also learned that Goat refuses to watch shootouts. He leaves the arena and walks around the concourse during shootouts. One lap usually takes care of it. He glances at the monitors so he knows whether the exiting fans will be happy or angry.

"You can print this anywhere you want: Shootouts Are For Sucks," he said.

"Hey, you're talking to soccer fans, we understand," said Duff, who lived through the MLS's early abominations.

"It's like in the XFL, when they had to run up to the 50-yard line and grab the ball," Goat said.)

Anyhow, as always happens to Goat, he stands around in the concourse and random people came up to him to thank him for what he does, what he does being stomp and bellow and generally incite noise from his spot in section 105 row O seats 11-12.

(Note: I feel bad that I came across as anti-Caps-fans in my Barra Brava post on Monday. That was my bad. Duffman never wanted this to be billed as an "invasion," and he doesn't want to alienate Caps fans, and he doesn't want to imply that existing Caps fans are somehow deficient or need the Barra's help. And the only thing that's worth noting is the lack of Caps fans at the VC, not the lack of enthusiasm among those who are there. It's just the enmity towards the newcomers I saw from some Caps fans at that game sorta depressed me. Will this work? Dunno. But Duffman has boundless energy, and the vibe on all the message boards seems friendly, and I'll try to stay out of this and let everyone be friends. And anyhow, if Horn Guy and Goat are any indication, you can say this for Caps fans: they have characters.)

So anyhow, Goat.

"Excuse me, sir, great enthusiasm," said Pens fan Chuck Davis, who came up to Goat after the game. (See, Goat even gets respect from his blood enemies.)

"I wish more people would join in," Goat said. "I appreciate the props."

"His enthusiasm for the game and the Caps was just unbelievable," Chuck told me. "Just great, great enthusiasm. Oh man, he got the crowd up and going."

A few moments later two Caps fans approached our little group, also intent on paying homage to Goat.

"He's awesome, I love him, you'd think that he works for Verizon Center," Pat Norton said.

"He's got, like, the loudest voice I've ever heard," Joel Borchardt agreed.

"It's like a foghorn, man," Norton said. "He's the greatest."

And, as I might have mentioned earlier, at last Friday's game a bunch of Canadians approached Goat and said that if he lived in Canada, NHL franchises would pay him to come to their games.

"This guy's got the loudest voice I've ever heard in my life," Troy Hazzard said at the time, which seems to be nearing a consensus opinion.

So I wanted to write something about Goat, and I wanted to interview him, but it was late and the arena was emptying and the security people were herding us out. Luckily, just then we ran into Tim McDermott, the Caps senior vice president and chief marketing officer, talking quietly with senior VP and chief sales officer Mike Humes. I introduced them to Goat.

"Oh yeah, I hear you every game," Tim said.

"I appreciate it, I do my best," Goat said.

"Are those the shoes you wear?" Tim asked, gesturing at Goat's sneakers. "I was sure you wore steel toes."

"I tried to wear boots but they actually limit [the noise]," Goat explained.

"Do you do voice exercises?" Tim asked.

"Water," Goat explained. "Lots and lots of water. That's basically the key."

Goat also told us that he used to date a speech pathologist, who gave him some screaming advice, including:

1) Never attempt to go out of your range, and

2) Find one agreeable frequency and stick with it.

And since we now were protected by the aura of two Caps senior vice presidents, security left us alone, and I got to hear The Story of Goat.

To be continued, in the interest of my not getting a parking ticket....

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 13, 2006; 12:03 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know
Next: Wizards Wear Santa Hats

Comments

Nothing like sharing a headline with urinal cakes to make ya feel extra special. Heh heh!

(Is it bad form for one to be the first comment on an entry about oneself?)

Posted by: Goat | December 13, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Goat, you get a pass.

Posted by: Kim | December 13, 2006 1:22 PM | Report abuse

did this 'chuck davis' character have like a huge flowing hercules-like mane of brown hair, by chance?

Posted by: littles | December 13, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

This is great. I can hear Goat on the telecasts when I watch the tv. Goat for President in '08. Horn Guy for VP.

Duffman for Secretary of Defense.

Posted by: Blackaces | December 13, 2006 2:07 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Goat story was talking with him during intermission at a preseason game when some really hot 18 year old girl came up and asked for a photo. She slid right up to him in a very cozy manner while HER FATHER took the photo.

My other great Goat story involves Goat being drunk, and I don't want to ruin his glorious public image for anyone.

Posted by: FS | December 13, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to have a fundraiser Goat v. Banshee Jay to determine who is the loudest voice in the DC sports world.

The crosby urinal cake would not have been as funny if my Pens did not make a great comeback to win the game.

Posted by: Banshee Jay | December 13, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Littles, I told him to say hey to you. And I had never met Littles, or Chuck Davis, or Goat, or any of these people before the Bog existed, so no, I'm not just writing about my friends.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | December 13, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

At Friday's game, I made a comment to one of my seatmates about how load Goat is since we could hear him OVER the introductory music when the Caps came back after an intermission!! And I've known for years how loud he is, it just still amazes me. Someone who hadn't been to a Caps game before on Monday also commented on the power of the voice.

Others at VC try to be loud and start cheers - and it's great - but Goat is one of a kind.

Posted by: Andrea | December 13, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Cool! ^_^ I'm a Fan Celeb just by being related to one. I had no idea, but I guess it's the idea of guilty by association.

Posted by: Elenora | December 13, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

We've got someone kind of like Goat at the Oriole's Sunday games. Section 330, upper deck a little to the right of home plate. Every time they do the buggle charge cheer, he holds out the AAAAA for a good 20-30 secconds, opera style. Totally self-taught.

Seems we have alot of loudmouths in town, outside of the Hill.

Posted by: EricS | December 13, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I also heard you ran into Dave Lifton, host and producer of the Screaming Eagles Podcast, in between periods on the concourse of the Verizon Center.

Posted by: Not At All Bitter | December 13, 2006 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice! Goat deserves all the good press he can get. I may be loud, but it's by artifical means. A cheap plastic toy is still no match for those lungs. The man is a human loudspeaker. I love him!

Posted by: The Horn Guy | December 13, 2006 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I finally got a chance to come over and sit with Goat for a bit. A part of me knew he had a loud voice, but a part of me thought he sounded louder because the Verizon Center can be so quiet. Well sitting 1 seat away, I can say "yes, he's really that loud." Great meeting you Goat. I'll be seeing you around.

Posted by: Duffman | December 13, 2006 6:17 PM | Report abuse

WOW. I went to the Anaheim game and sat in Section 105 row L. I definitely remember seeing Goat and thinking how nice it was that someone had some enthusiasm.

I feel quite special now.

Posted by: L.D. | December 13, 2006 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I didn't make it here to post within 24 hours; like Elenora, not sure I'm a fan celeb as that designation belongs to Goat and the Horn Guy!

Dan - Thanks for continuing to provide coverage of the Caps!

Posted by: Peggy | December 14, 2006 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The Caps would not be the Caps without Goat and The Horn Guy.

And I'm with Goat - the shootout is teh suxorz.

Posted by: Bumperhead | December 15, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse