Euro-Style Supporters at Caps Game

(Note the PC title.....no longer calling them Barra Brava, now calling them Euro-Style Supporters. And seriously, someone get that StikSav guy from the Caps message board to e-mail me. He's gotten in my head. I've been asking my boss about becoming a copy editor again.)

Anyhow, this video is based on last Friday's Ducks game, when a bunch of people with D.C. United roots came, en masse, bearing scarves and a lot of possibly wheat-aided exuberance, to a Caps game, and they cheered a lot, and then I made mild fun of a few Caps fans, and then they got mad at me. Horn guy is pictured several times. This "William" to whom he refers, that's Goat, whose story I'll continue soon.

Editor: Jonathan Forsythe - washingtonpost.com, Reporter: Dan Steinberg - The Post

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 13, 2006; 4:04 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Top 11 Hoops Poll, additional pithy comments
Next: "I Was Blessed:" The Goat Story

Comments

rfk is more fun

Posted by: littles | December 13, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Name idea: The Upper House. It's a nod to where we are, where they sit, and is a bit clever (but not too much so).

If the whole thing eventually moves down, it's an easy switch to The Lower House.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | December 13, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

How are Euro-Style Athletic Supporters different from American-Style Athletic Supporters?

Posted by: Marc | December 13, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I think we should be called: Los Gamberros de Capitals. The Hooligan Capital Fans. It's got a nice ring ot it.

Posted by: Ian | December 13, 2006 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Crazy-Arse People Standing (CAPS)

Posted by: That's easy ... | December 13, 2006 5:15 PM | Report abuse

This will smooth out over time.

Since we organized as a bunch of soccer fans, we were branded as soccer fans. But a large proportion of the group were knowlegeable hockey fans.

This was just a first crack, Duff/LangwayMan will have a better cut at the second game.

It's a big arena with plenty of room for all kinds of fans.

Posted by: Kim | December 13, 2006 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Great piece Dan!!! Everyone is welcome to join us January 9th vs the Flyers in section 414. Check the Caps message boards for ticket info. http://boards.washingtoncaps.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45914&st=0

Posted by: Duffman | December 13, 2006 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I throw out a great start to an Athletic Supporter joke and no one picks up on it?? Thats just horrible.

Posted by: Marc | December 13, 2006 7:05 PM | Report abuse

It was a great game (despite the score) having those guys there. To hell with the whiney fair-weather yuppy fans complaining about the noise. It's HOCKEY. They're not out there daintily brushing past each other asking, "Pardon me, may I have the puck?" These guys brought a lot of energy and fun to the game. I hope they do indeed come back for more.

Posted by: Mark | December 13, 2006 7:53 PM | Report abuse

In an unrelated note, I don't know why but for some reason I think Dan's voice is funny (sorry Dan). Maybe it's because he's always holding back the giggles in these features.

Posted by: Jon | December 13, 2006 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Kim is arguing with me that Horn Guy and "William" are ok while I kevetch about how much they irritate me. I want "William" to get larygitis and soon. And forever. He gives them props for cheering while everyone else is stone silent. Eh. It's still irritating.

Posted by: Maggie (yeah Kim's wife) | December 13, 2006 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"Go cheer at a soccer game..."

Great attitude guy. In Europe, they do cheer at hockey games, instead of sitting and watching the scoreboard, waiting for the arena to tell you when to clap.

Why don't you just stay at home and watch the game there? That way your little world doesn't get rocked by people who can actually throw some support around.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | December 14, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Heck, in Detroit, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc they cheer at hockey games. We don't need to go across the pond just to find cheering fans.

His line of reasoning was horrible "Go to a Nats game, cheer baseball". Huh? Cheer baseball? How about when I go to a Nats game, I cheer on the Nats?

Posted by: Kim | December 14, 2006 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I have to say the JoeEEEEEEE JoEEEEEEE JoooEEEEEE,

JooEEEEE, Juneau version of the OLE chant is better than the Olie Kolzig.

Have to show love for the guy who got the Caps in the 98 Finals.

Posted by: Juneau | December 14, 2006 11:21 AM | Report abuse

great piece! We need more fans at the CAPS games to enliven the corpse of a crowd. You can Cheer for more than a Goal and big hit. Cheer all the time. Do you cheer just for one play or the whole team?
Get over your preconceived notion of what a fan should be and embrace ALL Caps fans.

Posted by: KraziJoe | December 14, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Heck in Montreal they sing throughout significant portions of the game and it is awesome to see in person and watch on TV. Anyone who watched the Habs v. Bruins game a couple of weeks back knows what I mean.

Going to a game should be an exhilirating experience, and having singing and cheering, and chanting throughout the entire game is in my view part of an exhilirating experience. I think many people agree.

Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: kthhken | December 14, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to point out that Natty (a man of about my same girth) appears to be mauling Riz in that picture - Riz did you put honey behind your ears? :p

Also, regarding a name for the supporters...how about something like this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4rnkaminerna

Posted by: Bryan76 | December 14, 2006 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand that negative guy in the video. If you want to sing and stand at a hockey game, you should be able to without being critized. Just because that's done at soccer games doesn't mean it can't be done anywhere else.

Posted by: Blackaces | December 14, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Bryan76 -

Nope, I'm naturally that sweet. ;-)

Actually, I was laughing my arse off at something, hence my crazy face in that still.

Posted by: Riz | December 14, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

And now the moment is living on history as the "Latest Video" link at the top of the page! Classic!!!

Posted by: Eddie C | December 14, 2006 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Is there any secret to getting the video to work? I've tired IE at home, IE at work and Firefox at home and none of them are able to play it.

Posted by: EricS | December 15, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

In Europe, in Germany especially, the atmosphere in hockey rinsk is exactly what it is at soccer matches. Many of the arenas (especially the older ones) are predominantly standees, and they're packed more than an hour before faceoff. People sing, chant, waive flags and hold up sparklers (sorry, no smoke bombs, it's indoors). The fact that these are mostly smaller arenas and everybody is close to the ice makes it even better. If you think the Finns are quiet, staid Nordic types, watch them play Sweden in Helsinki. And I never knew Latvians made much noise until I sat with 5,000 of them in the old arena in Riga, yelling "Sarauj, Sarauj!"

Yeah, the MCI crowd is pretty quiet, although in the early 90s I do remember some loud nights at the Cap Center. That was back when the Caps actually meant something.

Posted by: big spaniel | December 15, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Naturally, if it's to be an ongoing thing, it's got to adapt a bit to the Caps and hockey (maybe some chants that were actually designed to accent the first syllable, for instance). But it's a terrific idea. I hope it comes together again. I have hockey peeps and soccer peeps, and it'd be nice to bring them together.

Posted by: Stan | December 15, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse