Local Hoops Poll Updates

1) At the risk of further crushing my productivity, we've added some new poll voters. Media members from the Baltimore Sun, Carroll County Times, Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star and I believe SportsTalk 980 have signed up. We're already up to about 65 voters. I figure if I can just get to about 40,000 voters, I'll be assured of having a decent-sized readership. Also, yesterday I briefly neglected to mention that we have voters from Comcast SportsNet (Adam Littlefield) and Triple X ESPN Radio (Ira Weintraub). Sorry, guys.

2) I received this e-mail from a voter last night, which I thought was worth passing along as an example of the dedication required:

In comparing my votes against everyone else's votes, I realize I should have been watching Navy-Howard on the internet tonight rather than sitting on my couch wondering how I could go all day without noticing that I had a dryer sheet stuck up one of my sleeves. Good thing I work from home...

3) I received this lobbying e-mail from a W&M grad and non-voter today, which I thought was also worth passing along. Lobbying is encouraged. The goal is to make this poll matter in some way. I asked my boss why Post staffers would be allowed to vote in my poll but not in the AP poll, and he said because The Post doesn't "make news," and there is zero chance that the results of our area poll would ever constitute news. I need to somehow prove him wrong. Maybe I should create a year-end trophy. I'm sure Gary Williams would be thrilled. Anyhow, here's the e-mail from the W&M grad:

Hope you can show some love to William and Mary in your next top-11 area basketball rankings! First we have to deal with the meanies from the NCAA taking away our two imposing feathers from our logo, and now we get no votes in the top-11 rankings, even after a weekend of impressive victories over powers Jacksonville State and Cornell!!

Tonight is a big matchup for the Tribe as we take on Towson, ranked number 11 in the DC Sports Bog poll. I am hoping an impressive victory this evening will influence the "voters" enough so than next week we get within range of cracking the Top 11.

Not sure why "voters" was in parentheses quotation marks, but that's officially step one towards relevancy.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 5, 2006; 5:01 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: My Plan For Fixing the Wizards' Road Woes
Next: Waiting for Gilbert

Comments

I'll vote for W&M when their record is signifcantly above .500 and they're not trailing ODU and VCU in the monster CAA conference.

Posted by: Marc | December 5, 2006 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Exactly Marc. If you want to get votes, win games. It's that simple.

Posted by: FS | December 5, 2006 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Quotation marks Dan, not parentheses. Just trying to help.

Posted by: cowtowner | December 5, 2006 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I would offer my ballot, but I a) don't watch enough college basketball to know anything until late February and b) will vote based on off-court issues (e.g. that ODU alum's letter to Georgetown's school paper).

If you want it anyway, let me know. I might have something clever, pithy, or ridiculous to say about each team.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | December 5, 2006 8:36 PM | Report abuse

William & Mary 60 : Towson 73
First time Towson has ever gone to W&M and beat them....

Posted by: sitruc | December 5, 2006 9:56 PM | Report abuse

big win for Towson, at least as far as this esoteric endeavor is concerned. and tomorrow has huge implications for the Area Fans' Roundball Ordinals or AFRO (how's that for a name, Dan?):

you got American-Howard, ODU-VaTech, Mason-Radford, Coppin St-Morgan St, plus Longwood, VMI, VCU and Maryland in action. hope the wife doesn't mind when i'm ignoring her to follow the hot MEAC action updating online.

Posted by: jamie | December 5, 2006 10:35 PM | Report abuse

towson is for real ... I have them in my top ten ...

Posted by: littles | December 6, 2006 2:31 AM | Report abuse

That Towson v W&M game last night featured some of the ugliest basketball I have ever seen, particularly David Schneider's impossibly bad form on his jumper. I'm beginning to regret my decision to participate in the poll.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 6, 2006 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Don't lose hope! What about the "hot MEAC action?"

Posted by: Almost Ignatius J | December 6, 2006 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Why would Gary Williams be thrilled? Have you and the "voters" already penciled in his team into the No. 1 spot in the final poll? The bias always reveals itself, padwan.

Posted by: afronation | December 6, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse