New Bog Fave: Shawn Kuykendall

My only previous experience with professional soccer player Shawn Kuykendall came last week, when, wearing a dark suit, white sneakers and a knit hat, he attempted to tie me up with a cord as part of the fake-Water Wars kidnapping that my boss nixed as thoroughly unbecoming of a professional journalist. Also Shawn yelled at me a lot. He was really, really into his role. Anyhow, I can say from personal experience that he's not the world's best cord wrapper, since I managed to make phone calls and use my computer after I had been "tied up."

But forget all that. I can say for absolute certainty that he has made one of the greatest professional athlete YouTube videos of all time. Pictured below are former Madison High and American U. star Shawn Kuykendall and his little sister Samantha doing....something. Not sure how best to describe it. But I really wish DCU officials would have had the foresight to keep this guy in our market permanently, rather than let him escape to New York. We miss him, badly.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 8, 2006; 10:31 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know
Next: The Invasion Nears

Comments

Well that's 2 minutes and 14 seconds of my life I'm never getting back. (yes, i stopped watching early. not early enough.)

Posted by: Sherm | December 8, 2006 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I really liked Shawn when he was here in 2005 (and sat in front of us in the early games of 2006). A good kid with good skills.

Now my opinion has changed. Changed to what? I'm not sure.

He obviously didn't heed any warnings about drinking water in the NY area, or this is the after effects of drinking Red Bull.

Shawn, if you're out there, you may need help.

Maybe Dan can arrange a little vacation to the Boswell's home.

Posted by: Kim | December 8, 2006 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Ladies and gentleman, the scourge of meth has invaded suburbia.

Posted by: aka | December 8, 2006 11:08 AM | Report abuse

That's got to be the most annoying video I've ever seen.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | December 8, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Aww, cut him some slack. If George Allen had been like this with his siblings instead of throwing them through plate-glass windows, he might still be a senator. I think it's sweet.

Posted by: Will | December 8, 2006 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Going against the grain here, but I loved it. Maybe it's the caffeine talking, but to me that clip is the quintessence of the YouTube and the American Holiday spirit. It is also the closest I will ever come to watching a professional soccer player outside of a World Cup match.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | December 8, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

That's the most annoying video you've seen?

Welcome to the internet. Feel free and look around. You'll quickly find something for annoying than the Kuyendall's contribution.

Posted by: Kim | December 8, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Ok the song is rediculously long.

My scores:

Comedy: 7
Coreography: 9
Lipsnyching: 4
Polka Dot Dress: 10

Total Score: 30

Good work.

Posted by: Marc | December 8, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Aww, I think it's cute! Especially that he did it with his little sister. They obviously had fun making it.

Posted by: misschatter | December 8, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

God Bless a house with no parents at home and an unlocked liquor cabinet!

K

Posted by: SEKim | December 8, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

You're crazy if you didn't think the video was HILARIOUS. That was top quality entertainment. Shawn is so dreamy and his sister is hilarious and cute. Who doesn't love The Robot and perfectly choreographed dance moves?!

Priceless. Best Christmas gift ever.

Posted by: Sweens | December 8, 2006 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Napoleon Dynamite does a Christmas video. Absolutely awesome.

Posted by: Scott | December 8, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I just fell in love! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Yeah, the song is ridiculous, and neither has a career on Broadway ahead of them, but nothing is better than a great memory made with siblings.
He just scored massive points with every single woman out there.
And I have got to find out where she got that dress!

Posted by: annie | December 8, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

was that Stephanie Tanner???

;-)

Posted by: hmmmmm | December 8, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Shawn Kuykendall you are my HERO! I aspire to be like you everyday in every way! I hope we can make a video of the same caliber if not better (if possible) very soon. I have the perfect song picked out! Call me!

Posted by: Cdilly | December 8, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

i could have kept watching that until 5pm...thanks shawn

Posted by: scruggs | December 8, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Elton John at his best.

Posted by: Jason | December 8, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

A bit long, but really, really cute. Nice to see a brother and sister just acting goofy and not being afraid for the world to see them.

Posted by: Lester Burnham | December 8, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

That was adorable! Loved it!

Posted by: Sandy | December 8, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 favorite moments

1. around 3:11 - Shawn - a pillow biter joke during an Elton John song - well done.

2. 4:10 when the sister picks a boog

Posted by: Bryan76 | December 8, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Shawn's ACL recovery is coming along rather well.

Posted by: Kim | December 8, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Sherm, you gave up too early and missed Shawn doing the Robot ....... patience, man!

Cdilly, if I didn't think you were someone nice in real life, I'd make a darn funny Paris Hilton joke about your request :-)

Science-Bless Shawn for doing this with his little sister. Curses to her for asking him ;) They did seem to be having fun. ........ Someone keep an eye on this girl for me, in a few years she's gonna be quite the hottie!

Posted by: Lonnie | December 8, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

(Note to Self: Put a video on You Tube of you dancing to a cheesy Christmas song with somebody you pay to pretend to be your younger sister. Chicks dig choreographed sibling dance videos. Just don't let them find out you don't actually have a younger sister. End Note).

Posted by: Jon | December 8, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

It would have been better had it not been introduced as 'one of the greatest professional athlete YouTube videos of all time.'

I now doubt anything that Dan Steinberg ever says. I forgive him for the Water Wars incident, but this is the last straw. His journalistic credibility is now zero.

Posted by: g | December 8, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Good clean moronic fun - I'm sure that their parents are bursting with pride...or something. =)

Posted by: hankd | December 8, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Boy, this does not help soccer of shaking its soft rep. Plus, Elton is singing, doubly bad for the soccer image.

Posted by: vic | December 8, 2006 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I stand by my decision to bail early.

Worst. Post. Ever.

Posted by: Sherm | December 8, 2006 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Sherm isn't very friendly. I think the video is great - absolutely hilarious. I want more Shawn! Make more videos!

Posted by: Janet | December 8, 2006 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Shawn and his sister captured the spirit of the holidays. Cool house.

Posted by: Kubo | December 8, 2006 10:14 PM | Report abuse

sweet jesus

Posted by: Jake | December 9, 2006 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, Shawn, more dancing and less singing. From what I understand, Mr. Kuykendall has been doing some acoustic covers elsewhere on YouTube. He needs to stop doing that immediately and devote all his energy to dancing, cuz' his dance moves are hottt (that's with three t's). Elton never sounded so good either.

Posted by: kuykfan | December 11, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I loved it! Fits perfectly with Christmas spirit.
(Some Scrooges also post here I see...)

Posted by: Witold | December 11, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Great Family Fun

Great Memories are made by being a goof ball on occasion

Nice to see a couple characters not get all wound up in trying to be cool in life

Posted by: Dude22 | December 11, 2006 6:55 PM | Report abuse