What You Need to Know

The Skins could set a record for fewest turnovers in a 16-game season, Gibbs repeatedly says he expects Big Al and Double G to be back and promises "nonstop" work in the offseason, Jason Campbell faces many ticket requests, Betts's decision to stay put was about security for both sides and here's a vote for some late-season experimentation.

The Caps "choked, hard-core" gakking up their biggest lead in at least 15 seasons in front of "great gaping rows of empty purple Verizon Center seats," and losing after the increasingly confident Pens turn their helmets into rally caps during another unsuccessful

Caps shootout. Mike Wise think last night rekindled the teams' rivalry, Kris Beech is playing "as well as he's ever played," Evgeni Malkin stole the show from Crosby and Ovie, Mike Vogel offers an in-depth look at Caps prospects, and the Caps might provide laptops for fans to cast all-star ballots.

The unranked Hoyas are still talking national championships, VMI gets 99 points in a win, Boom Osby tries to explain why fans love him, Crystal Langhorne's brother skips a Maryland game in favor of the Eagles, and the lawyer who sued Jimmy Williams drops the suit.

Kevin Payne says Freddy--who has "both benefited and been victimized" by his hype--is pleased to be off to Utah, and a smiling Freddy strongly agrees. It's hard not to think his old coach played a part in the deal; his new coach calls Freddy "pretty lethal," RSL fans ask if he's the next Urban Meyer, and a columnist calls it the biggest trade ever by a Utah pro team.

Etan and Brendan are banged up, leaving Cal Booth and James Lang in the middle, and Gil is named the Eastern Conference POW. Also, J.P. of "the Junkies" ends his boxing career.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 12, 2006; 9:29 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Discuss Ovie and Crosby, Endorse Ginger Ale
Next: Local Polling in a Basketball Wasteland

Comments

But DSteinz - will you miss the goose?

Posted by: tmc | December 12, 2006 9:44 AM | Report abuse

No mention of local semi-celebrity Nick "the Goose is Cooked" Rimando?

Posted by: Sherm | December 12, 2006 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck Rimando. You were a great one, but you'll get to start now, and that's good.

I liked Freddy, but the boys have some BIG moves in mind and all around, this was a smart play.

Posted by: Will | December 12, 2006 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Given that Ellinger's tactics with the U-17s consisted solely of "hoof it to Freddy," I'm sure Ellinger is glad to be on safe ground again.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | December 12, 2006 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and good to see you again last night at the Caps game.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | December 12, 2006 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling we'll be getting a Goose's reaction to the trade post later today.

Posted by: Marc | December 12, 2006 10:21 AM | Report abuse

How were there so many empty seats last night for THAT matchup? And why can't I seem to stay healthy?

Posted by: Richard Zednik | December 12, 2006 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Yes, trying to get Nicky on the phone, will have a report later.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | December 12, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm still spitting mad over the Caps result, criminy that was awful. And to top it off, we weren't sitting in an empty section but we were surrounded by annoying PA fans!

Good luck to Freddy and Nicky. They both have given United fans a lot of great memories.

K

Posted by: SEKim | December 12, 2006 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Caps game last night and actually thought the crowd was really big. Though I'm not an experienced observer as it was my first NHL game ever. But comparing it to Wizards games (which I've been to a bunch of), only the bigger Wizards games seem to draw as large a crowd as the Caps had last night. The only places that looked like gaping rows of empty seats to me were the 200 level, which I'm guessing is overpriced for the view you get, and the lower-level ends, which I would guess are likely also overpriced for the view. Am I wrong?

Posted by: Josh | December 12, 2006 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

I wanted to take this chance to thank you for turing me on to "With Leather". The man has a way with the words. His latest, in describing Devin Hester:

"His legs are blurry when he runs. Similar to girls when I talk to them."

Posted by: Sherm | December 12, 2006 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Dan,
What's up with your co-worker Mike Wise? Was last night his first game? Is he even qualified to write about hockey? Would you sit down and talk with him, because this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/11/AR2006121101491.html) was a pathetic piece of writing.

The post needs to have you in print more and not this crap.

Posted by: pissed! | December 12, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

SE KIM and Lanky I was no where near you last night. Great comeback by my fans. I loved hearing the Pens chants although that would never happen at RFK. Dan good seeing you again. I have to give props to the Caps FO for spending time talking with me, Duff, the Goat and his crew. While I will never be a Caps fans I am begining to respect the organization.

Posted by: Banshee Jay | December 12, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Last nights Capitals/Pens game was the best game of hockey in this town since the 98 cup run. It was the best sporting event (with meaning) in this town since DC United Eastern Conference finals win 3 years ago.

The Caps dominated the first period, skating up and down the ice, keeping the puck, not just dumping it in. They were leading in shots on goal by 10. Crosby and Malkin were getting rattled along the boards. AO was all over the place. There were numerous times along the boards were a scrappy cap got the puck over Malkin. It sucks that he EM didnt play a great game but hes on all the headlines for the tie and winning goals. AO had so many chances (7 shots) and hits, he was dominate, but couldn't score the one we needed. Anyone else notice he didnt come out for the 3 stars of the game.

Posted by: AO | December 12, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

record, schmecord. you have to have the ball to turn over the ball...

Posted by: skins fan (not) | December 12, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What, no comments about the return on the Adu (and Rimando) trade? We casual-but-intensifying fans need to know what we got in exchange for these two. Were United robbed? Did they do the robbing? How's the team going to look on the pitch next year?

Posted by: WinVanNess | December 12, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

AO,

That wasn't even the best hockey game in the town this month. That would have been the Buffalo game earlier this December.

Posted by: FS | December 12, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

WinVanNess -
too early to tell, we got money and an allocation, and freed up a lot of cap room. The front office speaks as though they have people in mind, which would make this a good move. I never thought Freddy was really a good fit at DC and a large distraction at times, so it's a good move for him and the organization. I will miss Rimando, but again, good move for him as he'll likely start again whereas he was on the bench almost all last year.

Posted by: DCAustinite | December 12, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I think the key thing for the Adu deal will wind up being how much longer he stays in the MLS. He's eligible to leave come this summer, so I think this could be seen as almost a "trade deadline get something good in return for the guy who is leaving anyway" type of a deal. I think it is a shrewed move by DCU, and I'm going to continue to hope that Freddy doesn't let his ego get in the way of making the right decisions for his development as a player.

Posted by: tmc | December 12, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Fantasy team lost
Skins fan should not draft Cowboys
Football Gods cursed me