The Invasion Nears

So, if you haven't been reading message boards religiously, you might have forgotten that tonight is the night of the Barra Brava Invasion in Capsland.

I came to the morning skate this morning to spread the word. Here, for example, is my conversation with Ovechkin.

Me: So there's this group of soccer fans coming to the game tonight.

AO: Soccer fans?

Me: Um, spectators, supporters....

Caps PR guy Nate Ewell: Like a fan club section, you know? Like European hockey.

AO: Yeah? Lots of people will be there?

Me: Maybe 70, and they want to stand the whole time, cheer the whole time....

AO: For who?

Me [laughing]: You.

AO: Yeah?

Me: Yeah, they already have an Ovechkin song: "Ohhhhh, Ovechkin! Ohhhh, Ovechkin!"

AO: Wow. So can we give them stick?

Nate: Yeah?

AO: Yeah, drop them stick.

Nate: They're all the way up top.

AO: That's ok.

Me: Are the hockey fans different in Europe?

AO: They're crazy. Everybody stands, screaming, they have jersey, you know, sheriffs (?) scarves [makes towel-waving motion]. I like. When you see it, you "vrrrrr" [flexes muscles], get in motion.

Me: Could that work here?

AO: Yeah. I think it will be sick.

So there you go. More on this in a minute.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 8, 2006; 1:04 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Bog Fave: Shawn Kuykendall
Next: The Invasion Nears, Cont.

Comments

How will this "Invasion" effect the Takeover?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | December 8, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

AO is just the BEST!!!!!! "I think it will be sick" - I guess he's starting to pick up on American slang :-)

Tonight is gonna be GREAT!!

Posted by: Andrea | December 8, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

tonight will be sick wid it

Posted by: la barra | December 8, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Re: "You know, sherrifs" - I believe he said, "You know, scarves". And yes, we have scarves. You tie them around your wrist and wave them, as Ovechkin suggested.

Posted by: EdTheRed | December 8, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'll be looking for you guys. Section 426, right?

Posted by: EricS | December 8, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Sharf is the russian word for scarf.

Posted by: Arrrlington | December 8, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be insane!

Posted by: AO | December 8, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the outcry will be like if Ovechkin gives his stick to a bunch of soccer fans. Let the smack talk begin!

I for one welcome La Barra Brava. There are those who feel resentment over the Invasion, like they have this attitude of "how dare you come into our building and show us how it's done." Well, Verizon Center needs the help.

The moment the fans spontaneously start their own chants and cheers and make the place loud (without help from Telescreen prompts), that's the day I stop bringing the Horn to games. Because then I won't need to!

Posted by: The Horn Guy | December 8, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

ive been told we're gonna be in 406

Posted by: la barra | December 8, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Vamos Capitals...I'll listen for you on Comcast

Posted by: Bryan76 | December 8, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

406 is the place. Up near the top of it. See you all there!!!

Posted by: Duffman | December 8, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Take what he says with a grain of salt...remember, "Duffman says a lot of things, oh yeah!" ;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | December 8, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Horn Guy-We need the horn at ALL times!!

Posted by: Richard Zednik | December 8, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could be there tonight but I'm 3000 miles away. My two favorite sports and teams together...woo hoo!

Be loud and proud, y'all!!

Posted by: alisa | December 8, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I tried to get my wife to let me drive the 350 miles for the game tonight, but then work called and i was screwed. Damn this is going to be awesome. I'll watch on Centre Ice, give em hell Barra Brava.

Posted by: Eddie in CT | December 8, 2006 2:16 PM | Report abuse

An indication that something needs to be done is when Dan says that the Barra wants to stand and cheer the whole game and Ovechkin asks for who.

Folks, we've got a superstar in town, and he's unsure that a large fan group may actually want to cheer for the home team.

The fixin' starts tonight.

Posted by: Kim | December 8, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

It's not that . . . it's just that he doesn't see himself as a superstar. He's humble and unassuming. Which makes it that much better!

Posted by: The Horn Guy | December 8, 2006 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dan, your post made the NHL Today roundup courtesy of the NHL PR dept. Now that's saying something!
"I like."

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | December 8, 2006 2:47 PM | Report abuse

DCSC - you going to the game tonight? Come by and say hi if so.

This is going to be something to see. In what way, I'm not entirely sure, but it's going to be something to see! Go Caps!!!

Posted by: Eddie C | December 8, 2006 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Bear in mind guys that if you stand up while play is going on, you will be asked to sit down. If you refuse, you will be thrown out. Standing up during play is a big no-no in hockey.

Posted by: FS | December 8, 2006 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey FS: fook off.

Posted by: King Balls | December 8, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

FS, I would guess that, since the Caps were told what the plan was and approved it, that they tried not to sell tickets directly behind the Barra. That's what I would have done, anyway.

This is one of the best things to happen in DC sports history.

If people want them to sit, they should go find something more boring to do.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | December 8, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse

406, cool. I'll be over in 404 myself, so I'll hear ya loud and clear. I'll try to stop by. I'm wearing a FIFA 2006 long sleeve T and a knit Caps cap.

Posted by: EricS | December 8, 2006 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Eddie C.- I can't make it tonight :-( I'm immensely disappointed. I do plan on attending the Jan. 6 game and will be talking it up on the radio show!

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | December 8, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

FS - No one kicked out that we know of for standing - or anything else.

Yes, this even surprised us.

Posted by: Eddie C | December 9, 2006 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Hope we can do it again. But it must be a flyers,rangers,or pens game, there always rowdy any way.

Posted by: TILEMAN | December 9, 2006 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Nice to hear BB at the Caps game! I was sitting in Section 115 and couldn't see you through the telescreen. But I definitely heard you. ;-)

Next time you should see if the Caps will let you have Section 205. It's possible standing wouldn't block anyone's view and you could be closer to the action.

Posted by: Thea | December 9, 2006 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Standing up during play is a big no-no for whiners. In college hockey all the student sections stand the whole game.

Posted by: Jason | December 13, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse