Vegas Ranks Local Hoops Teams

Now that I'm best friends with Las Vegas Sports Consultants, they've agreed to supply us with monthly power rankings for the 27 Narrowly Defined Mid-Atlantic DI hoops teams (those located in MD/VA/DC).

Background: LVSC provides opening lines to the majority of the sports books in Las Vegas. I published the results of their weekly college football top 25 poll this fall, and those rankings proved fairly popular. Basketball is a slightly different story; teams' power rankings don't change that much on a weekly basis, and individual games aren't nearly as important, barring disastrous losses or huge wins. Since the rankings won't really change that dramatically, LVSC will provide us with a monthly look at Vegas's opinions on our local teams. Some introductory notes:

1) LVSC oddsmakers don't actually take bets, they just advise the books. So they are not trying to create lines that will cause even action. They're just trying to accurately rank the teams.

2) These were sent to me before the weekend. Again, individual game results shouldn't cause these to vary that much, but Maryland's loss at BC, GW's loss to USC, Mason's loss at Duke and all the rest of the weekend action is not reflected in these rankings.

3) Georgetown being No. 1 and GW's low ranking are probably the most notable differences from our local poll, published below. Also, Liberty is technically 12th in our poll, but 20th according to Vegas. Which I'll bet is closer to the truth. And Loyola is 16th in our poll, but 10th according to Vegas.

4) Vegas thinks Navy is better than American!!!!

5) The football poll I published this fall was the composite work of four LVSC oddsmakers, but this is the sole work of COO Kenny White. And here are his thoughts:

1. Georgetown
24. Howard
25. Radford
26. Maryland Eastern Shore
27. Morgan State

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 11, 2006; 3:31 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Top 11 Hoops Poll Results, Short Version
Next: Wizards Discuss Ovie and Crosby, Endorse Ginger Ale

Comments

geez even vegas is giving to much props to Mason. How are the doing it strength of schedule? Barely beating Radford?

Posted by: Marc | December 11, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Obviously this consultant refuses to give bonus points to teams based on clever letters to student newspapers, for shame.

Posted by: Chris | December 11, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse

How did Morgan State get #27? I'd love to watch them get waxed by DeMatha or PVI

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | December 11, 2006 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more, Marc. I still don't get how Mason gets all these votes. Great run last year, but this is THIS year.

Also, how the hell is VaTech 4, and GW 8??

Lastly, there is no way Loyola beats American and Navy on a neutral court. I'm with you Dan- American deserves more credit!

Posted by: smperk | December 11, 2006 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. Great they made the final 4, congrats on that... whats that you lost your best players and you're 4-4 right now? ok NO POLL FOR YOU!

Posted by: Marc | December 11, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

How can a Vegas consultant know anything about Patriot League basketball? Vegas doesn't even post lines on PL games.

Posted by: 36flavors | December 11, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be so sure on Loyola vs. American or Navy on a neutral floor smperk. Jimmy Patsos (ex of Maryland) has actually put together a nice little team up in Baltimore. Their lack of true big men wouldn't kill them against either the Eagles or the Mids since their whole roster can shoot.

I have only seen Loyola play live this year (AU and Navy only on TV) so that goes against me. But I'm a die hard Hoya fan versus supporting any of those teams, so that does a little for my objectivity.

Posted by: GUTuna | December 11, 2006 6:03 PM | Report abuse

GUTuna, "I wouldn't be so sure on Loyola vs. American or Navy on a neutral floor ..." might be the silliest thing I've read today.

Navy ALREADY PLAYED Loyola on neutral floor ... and WON BY 12.

Also, I know that it's not a neutral floor, but AU beat the Greyhounds by seven in Bender Arena.

Posted by: 36flavors | December 11, 2006 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Not that I care or that anybody at Radford probably cares but how are they 25th? They beat Richmond in Richmond and they played Mason tight the whole game. I'm not saying the Highlanders are a top ten team but you think they'd be ahead of a team that lost to Tech by like 50 (Coppin St).

I don't trust this Vegas guy. I remember reading an article or maybe it was a feature on ESPN like 4 years ago talking about a professional gambler. And he said the easiest way to make money was to bet on college basketball in December because the Vegas guys don't pay enough attention in the off-season and it takes them a few weeks before they adjust their lines accordingly.

Posted by: Jon | December 11, 2006 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Jon. Radford won at Richmond by like 17. No love for RU.

Posted by: danny | December 11, 2006 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree Radford should be ahead of Richmond. Richmond is horrible. Mason lost to three very good teams (Wichita St., Creighton, and Duke) and one so-so team (Bucknell). So no shame with being 4-4 at this point. However, they are not playing very well. The wins were close ones. The season is young and so are their players. The talent is there, it is just a matter of gelling as a team.

Posted by: walter | December 12, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse