Vegas Ranks Local Hoops Teams
Now that I'm best friends with Las Vegas Sports Consultants, they've agreed to supply us with monthly power rankings for the 27 Narrowly Defined Mid-Atlantic DI hoops teams (those located in MD/VA/DC).
Background: LVSC provides opening lines to the majority of the sports books in Las Vegas. I published the results of their weekly college football top 25 poll this fall, and those rankings proved fairly popular. Basketball is a slightly different story; teams' power rankings don't change that much on a weekly basis, and individual games aren't nearly as important, barring disastrous losses or huge wins. Since the rankings won't really change that dramatically, LVSC will provide us with a monthly look at Vegas's opinions on our local teams. Some introductory notes:
1) LVSC oddsmakers don't actually take bets, they just advise the books. So they are not trying to create lines that will cause even action. They're just trying to accurately rank the teams.
2) These were sent to me before the weekend. Again, individual game results shouldn't cause these to vary that much, but Maryland's loss at BC, GW's loss to USC, Mason's loss at Duke and all the rest of the weekend action is not reflected in these rankings.
3) Georgetown being No. 1 and GW's low ranking are probably the most notable differences from our local poll, published below. Also, Liberty is technically 12th in our poll, but 20th according to Vegas. Which I'll bet is closer to the truth. And Loyola is 16th in our poll, but 10th according to Vegas.
4) Vegas thinks Navy is better than American!!!!
5) The football poll I published this fall was the composite work of four LVSC oddsmakers, but this is the sole work of COO Kenny White. And here are his thoughts:
4. Virginia Tech
5. Virginia Commonwealth
6. Old Dominion
7. George Mason
8. George Washington
16. William & Mary
17. James Madison
18. Norfolk State
21. Coppin State
23. Mount St. Mary's
26. Maryland Eastern Shore
27. Morgan State
December 11, 2006; 3:31 PM ET
Categories: College Basketball
Save & Share: Previous: Local Top 11 Hoops Poll Results, Short Version
Next: Wizards Discuss Ovie and Crosby, Endorse Ginger Ale
Posted by: Marc | December 11, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chris | December 11, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Unsilent Majority | December 11, 2006 4:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: smperk | December 11, 2006 4:37 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Marc | December 11, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: 36flavors | December 11, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: GUTuna | December 11, 2006 6:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: 36flavors | December 11, 2006 6:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Jon | December 11, 2006 6:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: danny | December 11, 2006 10:24 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: walter | December 12, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.