What You Need to Know

Later....

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 6, 2006; 9:36 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Waiting for Gilbert
Next: Gilbert Answers Questions (Not Mine)

Comments

I am disappointed Mr. Steinberg. Your readers are bored and need to be entertained.

and by "your readers", of course, I mean "me"

Posted by: FS | December 6, 2006 9:49 AM | Report abuse

But I need to know 'what I need to know' now

Posted by: Jim | December 6, 2006 10:06 AM | Report abuse

You should be like me and blame it on the system messing up.

Posted by: Jason LaCanfora | December 6, 2006 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I am helpless now.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | December 6, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Nothing happened yesterday anyway.

Posted by: Chris | December 6, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Darn it... now I have to go to the Times website by myself. I rely on you Dan because getting through that website is like wading through a swamp.

Posted by: QFB | December 6, 2006 10:57 AM | Report abuse

well JMU lost to G'Town, but that was I suppose expected.

Side note: So much easier to get down to the 200 level at a G'Town game than a Caps or Wizards game. Nice though when you pay $5 for a 400-level seat!

Posted by: Sway | December 6, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Where is my William and Mary/Towson breakdown?

Posted by: GTB | December 6, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Sway JMU didn't just lose they got creamed. I was very very dissappointed.

I ahve a feeling the paying for $5 seats and getting next to the field is going to happen a great deal at RFK in the spring.

Posted by: Marc | December 6, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Dude if you and Arenas went out partying (and it involved hookers and melted cheese) we SO want to hear about it! ;-p

K

Posted by: SEKim | December 6, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

$5 seats is no big deal. The Caps have $10 seats at VC.

Posted by: FS | December 6, 2006 11:58 AM | Report abuse

William & Mary looked completely overmatched last night. Gary Neal was doing pretty much anything he wanted (especially in the first half). And W&M shot 35% from the field for the game. They're not gonna crack the Top 11 with that kind of performance. They might not even crack the Top 22...

And I can't believe I watched that whole game.

Posted by: Reader Glenn | December 6, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's some info for pollsters...

I didn't realize why Towson suddently got better until I realized that the Gary Neal at Towson was the same Gary Neal who used to play for Lasalle. Neal left Lasalle after being charged with rape by a female basketball player (from New Haven who was on campus to work a camp). Both coaches (Men and Women) were told about the alleged rape but tried to cover it up (apparently they went to the Gary Barnett school of coaching). Anyway Neal was eventually acquitted of the charges (article below) and, of course, now is terrorizing the featherless Tribe. I believe his first choice was to transfer to Virginia Tech but Beamer doesn't control the basketball team.

Posted by: Jon | December 6, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

No espn email address today Steinz?

Posted by: Bryan76 | December 6, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

dan, what happened to the caps coverage? we haven't gotten anything substantial since chitlins!

Posted by: sonia | December 6, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you're right. I got a funny feeling during the Chitlins episode that maybe I wasn't wanted around Capsland so much. But I'll go back. And obviously I'll be there for the Barra Brava invasion on Friday night.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | December 6, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Yea what gives. Bring back the CAPS Intensity.

Posted by: AO | December 6, 2006 2:56 PM | Report abuse

okay, while there is a blank posting, i'll ask my burning question: what is with those armband things some football players wear? they look like they're rubberized and are worn just above the elbow. they're black and seem squeezy enough to cut off circulation. doesn't look as though they'd provide support of any kind. i was thinking maybe it's just a fashion statement or style as with facemasks where some look like they could sift flour and others you could drive a truck through.

Posted by: kristin | December 6, 2006 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to see Coppin State-Morgan State in Baltimore with Kyle Whelliston tonight. Leaving around 4 or 4:30. Call me at 202-253-6494 if you wanna go. I'm serious.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | December 6, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So third tier college basketball takes precedence over a hockey team that has built it's longest winning streak of the year over the countries best opponents? For shame.

Posted by: FS | December 6, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

FS, fair point, but I promised Kyle months ago I would go to this game. I hadn't checked with the NHL schedule. Plus I'll be at the Caps on Friday.

Sorry tho.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | December 6, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

For the record, your Caps coverage is very much appreciated in Capsland.

Posted by: Teri | December 6, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Third tier middle school basketball takes precedence over any hockey team.

Posted by: Chris | December 6, 2006 4:03 PM | Report abuse

For the record, your lack of Caps coverage is very much appreciated in the world of real sports.

Posted by: AV | December 6, 2006 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Tony, back to MNF with you...

I would go to the game Friday night, but (true story) I have been told that I can never come back to a bar in Baltimore if I don't show up Friday night. They give me free drinks, so financially I am obliged.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | December 6, 2006 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm not complaining about the presence of coverage of any other sports. Why all the hate?

Posted by: Teri | December 6, 2006 4:20 PM | Report abuse

The Capitals the best pro team record wise in the area. Bitter Skins and Wizard fans, won't give it a chance, like are boy AV.

Posted by: AO | December 6, 2006 4:21 PM | Report abuse

They have hockey in DC?

Posted by: Marc | December 6, 2006 4:35 PM | Report abuse

What if I'm not a Skins or Wizards fan either, but at least don't mind their coverage?

Posted by: Chris | December 6, 2006 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Caps are hardly a dominant part of the mix here, so let's just all be friends. Although I guess cross-sport hate might drive traffic, so on second thought, have at it.

AO/FS/Teri, shoot me an e-mail if you have a second.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | December 6, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

This is what happens when what you need to know is blank. Especially after a JMU loss.

Posted by: Chris | December 6, 2006 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Dan

Did you catch the Robin Rexcoat reference in Bobby Boswell(worth)'s MLS chat?

Looks like Mr. Boswell contributed to that. I guess he handles chats and Mrs. Boswell handles blogs.

Posted by: Kim | December 6, 2006 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Big Stein in Bmore and I can't come down from Phoenix. Bummer. Come back for a Loyola or Towson game and I'll be there. You have to see Loyola's Marching Flock.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | December 6, 2006 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Dan, if the Caps lose on Friday, we shall tar and feather you and run you out of the VC forever. 4 straight!

Posted by: FS | December 6, 2006 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes -- What ARE those thin narrow armbands that I keep seeing on college football players's biceps just above the elbow?

inquiring minds want to know....

Posted by: Anonymous | January 1, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse