Bobby Boswell Doing Crosswords

You know, I think I was supposed to provide Bobby Boswell updates from the U.S. National Team Camp, but I forgot, and I can't find his phone number right now. Regardless, the ussoccer.commers have compensated for my laziness with their own blog, which includes two D.C. United items of note.

1) Bobby and Troy Perkins offer their book club selections. Troy chooses Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America," which, frankly is not what I would have expected. I pegged Troy as more of a non-fiction kind of guy. But I've read a bit of Philip Roth, and will be sure to discuss this with Troy upon his return to D.C.

(As an aside, I believe Troy was born in or near Columbus. I wonder if he's read "Goodbye, Columbus.")

Bobby, meanwhile, chooses "Bringing Down the House," about those M.I.T. kids who cheat Vegas out of gazillions of dollars through a complicated card-counting Blackjack scheme. I've read that book. I love Vegas. I love gambling. I love cheating. That book was terrible. Just awful. I mean, I don't have opinions on many things, but the writing in that book was about as subtle as a Bruce Arena press conference. Still, I sort of enjoyed it, and will be sure to discuss this with Bobby upon his return to D.C.

2) If you go to the main USSoccer.com page, you can watch a "Day with Jimmy Conrad" video over on the right-hand side. Bobby makes a brief appearance, doing the USA Today crossword puzzle and asking whether Chivas are really associated with goats.

And again I ask the question, if major sports entities continue making videos of their star players heckling golfers from hotel balconies and kissing their teammates goodnight, what the heck are the rest of us supposed to do?

3) Since I noted a few of Gil's college exploits earlier, here's a story about Bobby Boswell in college, when he played against D.C. United.

Whoa. This was all foreshadowed years ago. (By Denzel Kittrell)
"It was an honor to get to play with players on this level," said FIU sophomore defender Bobby Boswell. "To be out there with the likes of Stoitchkov and Etcheverry was a great experience."

"One day," he continued, "I hope to join the Red and Black myself, and possibly to be photographed inside a House office building with a former United player dressed as Santa Claus."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 19, 2007; 4:24 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Seth Greenberg on Being No. 1
Next: Maryland and Georgetown Play Basketball

Comments

"Red and Black"?

Don't you mean Black-and-Red? I know that one doesn't make sense either, since United wears black and white, but still.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 19, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If you'd have done my bidding and followed the link, you'd note that the FIU story called em Red and Black. Too subtle? It's Friday afternoon anyhow; no one's around to read this.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 19, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"No one's around to read this?" Don't you realize that for some, blogs such as this are the only thing that gets them through the longest half-hour of the week? Is it 5:30 yet?

Posted by: MJ | January 19, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I recommend The Road by Cormac McCarthy. post-apocalypse. especially recommended for my fellow fatalistic and doomed Terp basketball fans.

Posted by: pete | January 19, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Boswell's gotta get Conrad to comment on here! Though that may void his ESPN.com contract, but who needs that $17/year anyway?

Posted by: Kim | January 19, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

The best part of that FIU article on Bobby was that "817 fans" showed up. Not "about 800" or "nearly 1000". No, no. Precisely 817. Sounds totally made up.

Posted by: grotus | January 22, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The reason the exact number was known is that FIU sold tickets to this exhibition. The FIU men's soccer program was on shaky ground due to a financial deficit created by the addition of football to the school's athletic program. If men's soccer could raise money, the program would be allowed to continue. Ray Hudson was a friend of the program, having played for the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers and coached the Miami Fusion. He had DC United in Florida for spring training and agreed to have an exhibition match to help raise funds. The team donated items for auction at the match. It was a very successful evening, and it was fun watching both of my boys play against the pros. I became a DC United fan at that match.

Posted by: Susan Boswell | January 22, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Boswell!

Good, solid game once again, but this time for the National Team! Always in position, always making good decisions. Now let's see you push forward this year and put the Mexican teams on their heels.

I think we need to push for the ultimate DC United sponsor. Since their product will emblazon the front of our jerseys it's only right that we should put this to a vote and allow the fans to decide.

I hereby nominate Guiness.

It'd be perfect for the black and red jerseys and projects a global image for DC United. Now the Wizards should be sponsored by Kotex, the Fire by Preparation H, etc.

Posted by: delantero | January 22, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse