Bog Doomsday Approaches: Kornheiser wants his space back

As anyone over the age of 50 out there who still reads the newspaper might realize, my blog is often excerpted on Page 2 of the Washington Post's sports section, where Tony Kornheiser's micro-mini-columns used to reside, before he started interviewing celebrities inside sporting venues for ESPN. This Page 2 space provides justification for my existence. Well, someone just sent me the link to a Tony Kornheiser interview this morning in which he talked longingly about this Page 2 space. He said I could keep the space. But let's be honest, I'm not winning that battle.

Hey guys, I'm a big fan. Really. Don't get me fired.

As always, anyone who knows of any job openings, lemme know. And send the e-mails before they cancel that address.

Tony and his friend Andy Pollin are talking about Tony's future. The transcript:

Tony: What will I do? I'd like to, I'd like to do something like I did before, that is very current, very sort of small and, you know, sort of idiosyncratic. But I notice, I notice in the paper now that in the space I used to have, they've given it to the Cheese Boy (laughter). So I don't, you know, I guess there's no room for me in the paper.

Andy: The blogger? [Naked contempt oozing out of the speakers on my computer.]

Tony: Yeah, the Cheese Boy.

Andy: Is that what you call Dan Steinberg?

Tony: Well he went to, he went to, where were the last Olympics? Afghanistan, Norway?

Andy: Yeah, something like that.

Tony: Wherever, Brazil. And he wrote about cheese every day. [Ed. note: I think I actually missed a few days, when I was concentrating on curling.]

Andy: That's right, yeah.

Tony: So I call him the Cheese Boy. And I, you know, I don't know, if that's.... Look, if that's his territory now, you know, God bless him, that's fine with me. [As movers show up at my desk and start packing up my things.] I'm sure that I could find some spot on D7, you know, right behind the tire ads. [As HR starts talking to me about possible compensation packages.] People would find me if they cared. [Plus, my cell phone number is actually owned by The Post. That's gonna be inconvenient.]

Andy: Well I know The Examiner is looking for people, so in case you want to send out a resume.... [Evil cackling. I think. Maybe I imagined that part. Anyhow, I'm toast.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 3, 2007; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vegas Oddsmakers Love the Terps!!
Next: Arenas and George Mason

Comments

Dan,
Find a way into Gilbert Arenas' birthday party for blogging purposes and consider your desk and page 2 yours for the next 10 years. Trust me.

Posted by: Ajay | January 3, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I remember back when Tony had a radio show, he talked about you and how you once approached him, and I don't remember exactly what he said, but he was like - He's just a blogger. He's not a real reporter. I didn't even know who you were at that time, but I did think it was funny.

Anyways, after reading your blog for the past 6 months, I would be very pissed off if they replaced you with Tony. Your blog is the first place I go to when I go to WashingtonPost.com. Tony's columnettes really started to suck when he used to do it.

Posted by: Ted | January 3, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Steinz,

It's funny that Tony was mocking you for being a blogger (as opposed to a "real" reporter - I guess it was pre-Water Wars feat. Nick Rimando). I think Asia might have been playing on Top 40 radio the last time TK was considered a "real" reporter. ZING!

I keed, I keed. I love the Kornheiser and enjoy reading his bi-monthly columnettes (aww dayyumm... double-zing). I'm sure there's room for both WaPo icons in the Sports section. There's tons of space being wasted over in the UMD football/basketball pages.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | January 3, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Uh-oh! Worlds colliding! Since Tk went off the radio, I've searched months for a media outlet that allowed me to express myself the way that Tony's Mailbag did. I thought I had found it in the Pithy Comments. And now this. I sense a great disturbance in the force.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 3, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Much as I like hearing about Tony's print rumors... what's the scoop on the radio show? Heard anything Dan?

Posted by: Kev | January 3, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Tony is trying to start his own Bandwagon?

Or am I the only person that has been in DC long enough to remember that?

Posted by: FS | January 3, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

What does Tony write...once a week? So you don't get excerpted in print one day a week.

It's a blog, it's supposed to be read online.

Besides, they can't fire you unless TK plans on filling your space everyday, and well...that's not going to happen. He has a radio show to get back to.

Posted by: Prophet | January 3, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

PTI is a joke.
MNF is a joke.

Fear not young Steinberg. Page 2 is yours.

Posted by: Ben | January 3, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser's a dinosaur. Time for him AND George Michael to go fishing.

Posted by: Chico | January 3, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser ain't been hungry since Supreme Clientele. And he hasn't asked anyone for a quote for one of his columns since the last millennium.

I likes me some TK, but he's no Bog.

Posted by: leafblower | January 3, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Post powers-that-be, keep Steinberg onboard and on Page 2! Unlike Kornheiser, he's passionate about hockey and soccer and actually has an informed opinion about those sports -- a refreshing change in DC.

Dan, I'm surprised that Kornheiser took a break from ignorantly bashing the Capitals to redirect his smarmy, condescending abuse to you. The Post has plenty of room to bring him back in some capacity without dislodging you from the payroll. Let's hope they're smart enough to continue embracing new voices rather than treading water (or, in Kornheiser's case, stepping backwards).

Posted by: OrderedChaos | January 3, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

How can TK knock the Bog for it's lack of "reporting?" At least our fearless bogger is willing to travel on a plane to get the story, regardless of whether the topic is squirt guns, Manchego or Towson hoops.

No worries Dan, you are likely on the wishlist of papers all over the country. And now that the Bog has finally assumed its rightful place on the Page 2 pedestal, I doubt it will ever be replaced.

Posted by: cowtowner | January 3, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Any forum that allows Andy Pollin to speak is invalid.

Posted by: Harsh voice of truth | January 3, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Does Tony consider himself a reporter?

And you not?

That's the reverse of how I see things.

Run off to your TV and radio, Tony, and leave the writing to the big boys like Steinberg.

Posted by: seahawkdad | January 3, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought Tony was plenty gracious. He said I could keep my spot. I think Andy was the contemptuous one. Plus he never responds to my e-mails. That's ok, I still love him.

Ajay, I think the Style section will be providing wall-to-wall Arenas party coverage. Not sure if I'll be there or not. It's a long story.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 3, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I cant speak for us all, but Im sure a lot of us DCU fans will help Tony Kornholer feel "welcome" if he takes you away from us in any way.

Posted by: DCUfanboy | January 3, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Andy Pollin has become a true hack in recent years. When teamed up with Czabe, he's even more unbearable. (Can you believe Czaban is on for six straight hours every morning? Sheesh.)

Posted by: Colin | January 3, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

First off, leafblower's Ghostface reference has made my day.

Secondly, I doubt the Post, a smart group of people, would get rid of Dan to give an already Kornheiser-saturated sports market more Tony.

Plus, I would begin throwing rocks at the Post distribution facility up the street here in Berwyn Heights.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 3, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the Post is big enough for TK and Steinberg. TK's shtick, while funny at times, has grown somewhat tiresome over the last few years. One can only talk about gambling and golf so often, and bash hockey and soccer so often, before it gets old.

As for Pollin, what a complete waste. WTEM isn't bad, but Pollin's show is perhaps one of the worst I've heard in a while. He only talks about 3 things; Golf, Wizards, and Redskins. The man has an utter lack of imagination. Whenever he and Czabe run out of things to talk about, they always go '...so, lets talk about the Redskins'. OOh, how exciting! It's not as if they've done that before!

Posted by: Blackaces | January 3, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't get on TK's bad side.

His email nerds reduced an ESPN suit to tears when they went after him.

Posted by: midxpress | January 3, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Andy Pollin is a pathetic loser and Kornheiser is old news. Why do you even care what they say?

Posted by: Joe | January 3, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I love the Bog and everything but Kornheiser is still the man. You could always work down here in Richmond, Dan. The timesdispatch has never had any real journalists so you'd fit right in.

Posted by: Jon | January 3, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I hear California Tortilla is hiring?ha!

Settle the battle-give Wilbon p. 2-ha!

Ben-you are a joke-not PTI!!!

Posted by: WGDC- | January 4, 2007 2:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm sick of this Jew on Jew competition, we succeed as a people by helping our fellow man. Make DSteinz the new Stat Boy!!!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 4, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse