Gilbert Changes Shoes at Halftime, Says He's Unguardable

[Edit: Ok, ok, they were green. You can see them here. I'm sorry I don't have more on this story. There were all these people trying to ask about basketball, I did what I could. Frankly, I think I'm the only one that asked about shoes at all, so give me credit for that. I'll try to get a better answer today.]

Acting on a hot tip from my good friend wizardsdotcom, I planned to ask Gilbert about his shoe debut last night. He apparently wore the new All-Star Gil Zeroes, pictured here. But, this being Gilbert, he changed shoes at halftime and then gave the used pair to Jared Jeffries, so the shoes in question weren't even in the locker room after the game.

"I was just showcasing," he said of the brief shoe appearance.

Gil has apparently maintained close contact with Jared. In fact, Jared called Gilbert on Tuesday to tell him about the Knicks' defensive strategy.

Gilbert and Jared, BFF. (Toni L. Sandys - The Washington Post)

"I knew it was gonna happen, I knew they were gonna come double," Gilbert explained. "Jared called and said they were gonna throw everything and the kitchen sink, you know? So from there you already know what's going to happen....He has to call and brag: 'You ain't gonna score 50 tonight.' All right, I don't need to score 50 tonight. I'll score 50 on somebody."

Portland, I asked?

"Yeah," he said. "Unless they come out with this game-plan."

Then Post columnist George Solomon asked Gilbert how he would guard himself.

"I don't know," he said. "One-on-one? If you were a defender? Just one person? You can't. If you have a team, a defensive team, but one-on-one, the way the rules are made, there's no way. You can't be too aggressive, you can't hand-check. So if I'm faster than everybody's who sticking me, you know, what are you going to do?"

Dunno. Someone ask Jared Jeffries.

[Unsilent, did you get a good look at the shoes? Were they the All-Stars pictured above? Someone else told me they looked green.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 18, 2007; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Media Superstars: Mike Wise vs. Scoop Jackson
Next: George Washington: Best Team in the Area?

Comments

On the radio they said that they were green...

Posted by: Boyohboyohboy | January 18, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

They showed it on tv, they were definitely of the green persuasion.

Posted by: R.G. | January 18, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering about the new green version. I knew they were releasing an All Star edition but I thought it would be more...All Stary.

btw, they're up for sale on Eastbay for $200 (limited run I guess) but they won't ship for a few weeks. Anyone looking to donate a pair should send me an email. I already have the originals and the black mids...I can't buy another pair, especially one that costs double.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game and those shoes were definitely of the green variety, almost neon green...

Posted by: AV | January 18, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert's shoes were a bright neon-lime green. The Comcast guys said they told Gilbert the shoes did not match the uniforms and he said that was the point. (How perfect a name is Gilbert for Arenas?)

Posted by: Brandon | January 18, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Come on Steinbog...I was hoping you'd have answers for me!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Here they are side by side- the green ones and the all star ones:

Can anyone confirm which ones they were? Cause the green ones are hot.

They actually showed a clip of something to do with his shoes on ESPNews late last night, but I was far too drunk to be paying attention.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 18, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

bry- than link went to the regular low blacks

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

no no, hover over the thumbnails, you can change the colors.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 18, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

bry- yeah that's the other one i saw over at Eastbay, it sure looks like the All Star edition but they cost about the same as all the regular models. I was hoping for somethin' special.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll wear the green ones during the Saturday night if he's involved in a competition and then wear the red/blue/gold ones with the stars for the game. While we haven't seen the game jerseys yet, I can't imagine they'd be green. But the card suit logos on the greens are interesting.

Posted by: Nick | January 18, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

ENOUGH with the Gilbert Arenas man-crush bogging. We had to read ad nauseam about Gilbert's birthday party in this bog. Now - to paraphrase Mars Blackmon - "it's gotta be the shoes." Give it a rest, please.

Posted by: leetee1955 | January 18, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

leetee1955 is the Capitals Marketing Staff

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

$199 for those shoes!!! Clearly I will not be getting those.

Posted by: AV | January 18, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"We had to read ad nauseam about Gilbert's birthday party in this bog"

You should probably start exercising some free will.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

More Gilbert, More DCU, More Local Atlantic Super Duper 11 Poll. Long live the bog in it's current state.

Posted by: Marc | January 18, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Enough of the "Black Hole" stories.
Gilbert should shut-up about who can guard him. Its an easy question since in the NBA
NOBODY PLAYS DEFENSE!