Gilbert Plays Baccarat, Doesn't Try at All-Star Game

After the Suns game the other night, I asked Gilbert whether he'd be playing any poker during all-star game weekend. Remember, he plays online poker, admires Chris Moneymaker and Sam Farha (who I interviewed about Gilbert), and has threads in his honor on Full Contact Poker's site.

Anyhow, Gil said there likely would be no poker in his Vegas future, and when I mentioned trying to set up a game with Moneymaker, he said "Why, so he can take my money?"

But then I read the piece in this month's Vibe, in which Gil says the following about The Weekend:

There's going to be a lot of gambling and partying. You may catch me in the casino at the baccarat table. I can't just sit for three hours, though--so depending on what I want to win or lose, I'll just put it on one bet. And I always win.

Baccarat. Confusing.

I don't know the rules of baccarat. Does that even make sense? Does he really play baccarat? I always just stand near the entrance to baccaratland and watch the young, well-dressed, people-who-look-rich as they come and go.

Gil also says this, about the actual all-star game:

I don't think I'll ever actually win MVP at All-Star, 'cause I'm always looking around at who came out that year. You don't know who's going to show up. I'm like, 'That's Jay-Z! Is that Bow Wow?! I don't get to see celebrities during my regular days, so at All-Star, I forget about the game. When I go out there to play, I'm not really doing anything; they may as well sub me out.

Funny, Kwame reportedly says the same thing about regular season games.

The Vibe person, Chris Yuscavage, also has a long blog post about Gil here, in which he writes that the Clipse were at Gil's birthday bash, which I didn't know. Oh, and Vibe is thoroughly on board the Arenas Express. CY writes:

Nothing against "Sportsman of the Year" Dwyane Wade, NBA poster boy LeBron James or the surprisingly-matured, pass-first, score-81-later Kobe Bryant, but even before G.A. dropped 60 on the L.A. Lakers and followed it up with 54 against the Phoenix Suns, he had the NBA on lock this season.

A Vibe endorsement is better than a deal with Microsoft, right?

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 25, 2007; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kwame Brown: Always Ours
Next: Guest Bog: Adam Kilgore on Dave Leitao's Smashed Clipboard

Comments

I don't know about Gil always winning, but baccarat is a fairly simple casino game, rule-wise. You bet on house or player. The dealer deals the cards, does all the scoring and pays or takes your money as appropriate.

Posted by: dgc | January 25, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

agreed, dgc.

Posted by: smperk | January 25, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The Clipse? Isn't it just Clipse? I think we need U.M. to give us a ruling.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | January 25, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

See, CY wrote "the clipse," but the vibe artist's page only says "clipse." I'll defer to Mr. Mottram's expertise on this issue.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 25, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Hi all.....I am an avid baccarat player here in 'vegas. I love the game! One of the reasons I love baccarat, is because it is one of the most UNCHEATABLE games on earth! Another reason is, I can beat the game! If you'd also like to beat baccarat, I can show you how........BUT, you must be dedicated! Please, no "slackers"! (smile)

My email is: larrycyguy1@earthlink.net.

Posted by: Larry Thompson | February 18, 2007 8:04 AM | Report abuse

My email is: larrycyguy1@earthlink.net.

Posted by: Larry Thompson | February 18, 2007 8:06 AM | Report abuse

My email is: larrycyguy1@earthlink.net.

Posted by: Larry Thompson | February 18, 2007 8:06 AM | Report abuse

My email is: larrycyguy1@earthlink.net.

Posted by: Larry Thompson | February 18, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse