Local Hoops Poll Week Six: Voters' Motors

1) After some lackluster holiday performances, the local hoopsters stopped playing around last week. Virginia conks Gonzaga! Georgetown gets revenge on Notre Dame, on behalf of Maryland! Va. Tech wins at Duke! William & Mary slays a Final Four team on the road! GW wins two! UMBC wins two! Loyola wins two! Navy beats N.J.I.T. and all its abbreviations!

2) And, to make things even more exciting, we had record voter turnout. Seventy-two of 'em. Intern Boris reports that the average-time-on-the-voting-site was 22 minutes this week.

3) Intern Boris also reports that Ovie was pictured nibbling on his GF's fingertips during last Friday's Wiz game. YouTube? Anyone? Littles? Also, stepping out a bit, Intern Boris has this to say: "Personal thought: I hope everyone is finished jumping on the VT bandwagon before it derails at UNC.. either Greensboro or Chapel Hill."

4) And finally, some new blood in the poll. After four weeks in a row with the exact same 11 teams, we have a new entrant (a deserving William & Mary), and a "Dropped Out" (a hard-luck Towson, which had two OT losses last week). So W&M took over the No. 8 spot, Mason fell from 8 to 10, and Towson fell from 10 to Out. Pretty simple.

5) Why are people still giving votes to Howard, JMU, Mount St. Mary's, Richmond, etc.? Why? Whyyyyyy?

First-place votes in parentheses.

1. Maryland (44) (14-2) 674
--Wednesday vs. Miami, Saturday vs. Clemson.
--By my count, they've beaten two decent teams and lost to the two best teams they've played. They're the Notre Dame of college hoops - though I'm sure Strawberry and Vasquez could've covered LSU's wide receivers better. (Tom Doyle)
2. Georgetown (24) (11-3) 654
--Tonight vs. Villanova, Saturday at Pitt.
--Let the countdown begin: Georgetown will be No. 1 in the Local Hoops Poll in two weeks. (Glenn Arnold)
3. Virginia Tech (4) (11-4) 596
--Wednesday at UNC-Greensboro, Saturday vs. North Carolina.
--Greg Paulus will no doubt have nightmares involving Deron Washington's nether region for weeks. (Sean McLernon)
4. George Washington (10-3) 461
--Wednesday at U-Mass., Saturday vs. St. Bonaventure.
--No truth to the rumor that Karl Hobbs has his players saying "stupid question" as they shoot jumpers. (Eric Swensen)
5. Virginia (9-4) 406
--Wednesday vs. North Carolina, Saturday at Boston College.
--Comfortable win at home over Gonzaga gives Cavs hopes for challenging Dematha for the WCAC regular season title. (Bryce Onaran)
6. Virginia Commonwealth (11-3) 353
--Tonight vs. Northeastern, Wednesday at No. 8 William & Mary, Saturday vs. Towson.
--Guard Jesse Pellot-Rosa is better than seminal Pixies Album, "Surfer Rosa." (Markus Videnieks)
7. Old Dominion (10-4) 336
--Tonight at Hofstra, Wednesday vs. Delaware, Saturday vs. Drexel.
--Beat George Mason, which is like knocking out Mike Tyson now. (Ed Lee)
8. William & Mary (9-4) 168
--Wednesday vs. No. 6 VCU, Saturday at Delaware.
--Anxiously awaiting showdown with Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. (Jamie Paquette)
9. Navy (10-6) 79
--Wednesday vs. Lehigh, Saturday vs. Lafayette.
--Playing Division I teams is hard! (Ted Gotsch)
10. George Mason (6-7) 72
--Monday vs. UNC-Wilmington, Thursday at Towson, Saturday vs. James Madison.
--When you lose to William & Mary, the glass slipper is officially off. So are any other kind of shoes. And socks. (Dustin Dopirak)
11. American (8-7) 45
--Tuesday at Bucknell, Saturday vs. Colgate.
--Never a good sign for your poll when a ranked team loses to Lehigh. (Adam Lewis)
Also receiving votes: Towson 44, Loyola 38, Howard 4, James Madison 4, Mount St. Mary's 4, Richmond 4, UMBC 3, Liberty 1, Radford 1.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 8, 2007; 7:51 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eleven More Things From This Morning's United Event
Next: DCU News: Name an Owner

Comments

One problem with Eric Swenson's comment about GW: it implies GW players actually talk to the media.

Posted by: Andrew Alberg | January 8, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

How does a team with a losing record make it?

I'm embarrassed for all of us.

Posted by: FS | January 8, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Wiz game last wednesday against the bucks and Ovechkin defintely kissed his girlfriend during the Kiss Cam segment ... and then yes ... THE RUMOR IS TRUE ... he was nibbling on her fingers on Friday night ... I will have to take a look at the melt and see if I can upload it to the internets at some point in the near future ...

Posted by: littles | January 8, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

UVA is still 5th? Are you kidding me? Well, they'll be 9-6 by this time next week, so it doesn't really matter.

Posted by: Reader Glenn | January 8, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

When will people realize that Towson would beat navy by roughly 300 and Gary Neal would be appointed admiral of the Atlantic Fleet if the Tigers visited Annapolis. Yeah, I'm continuing my For Towson/Against Navy crusade. Please don't bring up Towson's back-to-back 2OT losses. I'm stubborn.

Posted by: tj | January 8, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Intern Boris has rigged the poll so that it automatically gives JMU and The Mount a vote. Just to perplex Steinbog to the point his head explodes Fisher Style. Thats the only explaination I can think of for JMU and The Mount getting 4 points.

Posted by: Marc | January 8, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Rest assured, I have no reason to give JMU votes, maybe its time for S-Berg to out the JMU voter and have the rabid commentators have at the voters soul.

Posted by: Boris (The Intern) aka Djlethal01 | January 8, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

So is Mason going to keep getting votes off of last year's FF run all year long?

Posted by: Markus | January 8, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I think the maryland women should be #8.

Posted by: slim charles fan | January 8, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I stopped voting for Howard after one week. I'm off the bandwagon.

Posted by: John Taylor | January 8, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Not so fast, Mr. Glenn Arnold.

Posted by: vn | January 8, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin and his girlfriend were spotted at the Hoyas game tonight. They both had matching ice cream cones when they showed up on the big screen. No evidence of Alex nibbling on her fingers.

Posted by: Nathan | January 8, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

So I have this pretty complex rankings system. RPI, Sagarin, Pomeroy, Dunkel, Colley, etc. And JMU is currently 25th (of 27). Time to out their voter(s) if you ask me.

Posted by: Tebow=Waterboy | January 9, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if there's a Tech bandwagon as much as a surfeit of good teams in the area. Outside of the top 5, there's not much. Tech likely won't be lower than 5th for the duration of this poll.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 9, 2007 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Who are the people whose names are in parentheses after the comments? I think I know one of them.

Posted by: grotus | January 9, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Um, those would be the voters.

In other news, I've looked at the offending JMU voters (two 10th-place votes, one ninth-place vote) and the rest of their ballots don't look that weird. It shouldn't ever matter, right? And it gives this thing some character.

In other news, as previously noted, great comment about Georgetown being No. 1 in two weeks, Glenn.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 9, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Truefully I'm kinda happy JMU is getting some love. I mean they have matched last years win total so they're on the upswing. But I don't think they could beat Loyola.

The poll will always be top heavy with ACC, Big East, and ACC-lite teams.

Posted by: Marc | January 9, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I just want my William and Mary Tribe to get thier due before it all collapses...

Posted by: TJ (otherwise known as Tom Doyle) | January 9, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

My timing is impeccable. If anyone has some schools they especially dislike, I'll be more than happy to jinx them next week with some more bold statements.

As for giving this poll some character, do we want to do the Atlantic Eleven semi-seriously or do we want to infuse it with character?

Posted by: Reader Glenn | January 9, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

i'm surprised Loyola got no love for beating Marist while American has lost 6 of 7 and is still clinging to #11.

but i watched Georgetown beat ND over the weekend and it was enough to convince me to put them #1. then they go and lose at home to Villanove last night, so so much for that.

i also watched Tech take out Duke which was just aggravating. i can barely even watch a game at Cameron anymore because it's just too easy to see Duke getting every call (whether it's really true or not). the fact that the final block was so obviously a clean play felt like a huge relief. i was just waiting for Bennett Salvatore to show up and blow a whistle.

Posted by: jamie | January 9, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Tribe beat Georgia State last night - that's 7 straight...

Posted by: TJ | January 9, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Chest meant dearth of good teams, not surfeit. It happens. His heart was in the right place, though. Nearly all of the local teams stink, and even the ones who are half way decent could lose to anybody (except JMU) on any given night.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 9, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

What surprises me is how far apart GW and Va. Tech are and how little respect VCU is getting. GW beat Tech in a close game and all three of the Colonials' losses are on the road to teams either in the Top 25 or receiving votes. Tech's win at Duke pushes them ahead of GW, but not by that much. VCU has won six road games this year. The Rams are a solid, balanced team that could easily win the CAA and pull an early upset in the NCAA.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 9, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I must admit, I have not yet witnessed VCU's Jesse Pellot-Rosa playing a game of basketball. But I find it hard to imagine that he is actually BETTER than seminal Pixies album Surfer Rosa. I mean, there can't be more than five things in the world better than Surfer Rosa, can there? And if he's truly one of them, I should really be putting some effort into catching one of VCU's games. Can someone independently confirm or deny?

Posted by: Josh | January 9, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

My beef with fellow votes is ranking ODU below VCU. The latter doesn't have a better win than the former's victory at Georgetown, and the Monarchs don't have a single bad loss, either.

Posted by: Hayden Alfano | January 9, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Who's voting for my alma mater, UMBC? This isn't the Local Chess Poll. I am incensed and befuddled.

I can understand that UMBC receiving votes gives the poll "character," but how can a team that was pushed to the brink recently by Binghamton, and beat down by St. Peter's (where is that?!?!) in the beginning of the year really be seriously acknowledged?

Where is your conscience, honorable voter. Where!?

Posted by: Ian | January 9, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Ian, there are only 12 teams above .500 in the entire region right now, and UMBC won a few games in a row, so i can understand how they might get a stray vote or two. seriously, look at the teams from 12-27 (am i the only one who ranks them all?): those that haven't been playing Bethune-Cookman have all been losing up a storm. Even Richmond is 4-10!

Posted by: jamie | January 9, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

VCU vs. ODU. Discounting last night's results, which did not figure into the poll, VCU has three losses by a total of seven points, been quite a road warrior, and has won 10 of 11 since a 2-2 start. ODU looked strong early, especially with the win at Gtown, but the losses have come often enough since to sink them slowly.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 9, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Re: ODU vs. VCU. Hey, this is college basketball. Don't the words "body of work" mean anything anymore?

I personally don't like to put too much emphasis on "what have you done for me lately?" type thinking, but I see the point. I also see that Old Dominion lost to Hofsta last night, which certainly isn't helping my cause.

The nice thing is that these guys get to settle it on the court. Unless they split.

Posted by: Hayden Alfano | January 9, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Huge road win for Loyola over MAAC leader Siena tonight.

Posted by: GTB | January 9, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

"Body of Work" for ODU vs. VCU?

OK, then yes, ODU should be above VCU and while we're at it, let's put Ohio State above Florida while we're at it.

Posted by: G&G | January 10, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse