Media Superstars: Mike Wise vs. Scoop Jackson

The Wizards' press room was thick with important media people last night, leaving bloggers without chairs to sit in. New York has a lot of media people, I guess. In addition to all the usual suspects, we were graced by the presences of Mike Wise and Scoop Jackson, who, I'd argue, cut the biggest swath through the room. Scoop had a Rucker jersey on, with a black stocking cap and some sort of jewelry on his sneakers. Mike Wise was showing a great portion of his chest.

The two men, I would also argue, were more warmly greeted by the actual NBA basketball players than any other media persons present last night. Plus, they provided great entertainment.

Mike Wise, after the game, to a crowd of media persons: "They doubled Gilbert."

Dave Feldman, speaking on behalf of the media persons: "Thanks for helping us out, Mike. Thanks for breaking that story. We didn't see that. We didn't see the three guys in dark jersys running at him. Thanks for that."

[Edit: If it wasn't clear, Feldy was joking. We were laughing at Mike. Ha ha. We're all friends.]

Mike Wise to Etan Thomas: "Nice MLK Day thing, Etan." [Referring to a video piece Etan did that was shown on the Jumbotron on Monday.]

Me to Etan: "He mispronounced your name."

Etan: "They always do."

Mike Wise to Etan: "They had me in the 'hood with the shades and everything, and then they said, 'No, we're gonna let Etan do it.'"

Etan:

Mike Wise: Well, nice job on that.

No buzzer-beater could compare to this. (By Sports Bog)

Later, Gilbert gave Scoop an enthusiastic greeting. I caught the beginning of their one-on-one interview. Say what you will about Scoop, but he elicited the following Gilbert quote:

"I tried to swag them," Gil said. "Everybody's trying to swag somebody."

And in the culmination of my night, Scoop interviewed Mike Wise. Like, a formal interview, with a tape recorder and everything. You're not supposed to take still photos in the team locker room, but I got a one-time waiver so I could capture this moment for eternity. Oh, for a transcript.

[Note: The preceding information is dedicated to the reader who keeps e-mailing me to ask for more Mike Wise stories in the Bog. And no, as far as I know, that reader isn't Mike Wise.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 18, 2007; 9:31 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Beat Buzzers, Buzzers Don't Beat Back
Next: Gilbert Changes Shoes at Halftime, Says He's Unguardable

Comments

I think we need more "Mike Wise assualted by European busses" stories.

Posted by: Kim | January 18, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Feldman's not the most cheerful guy, is he?

For some reason I see him everywhere (notably at the 2am Nats game, where he was the only one not smiling), and he's usually just standing around wearing pleated khaki shorts and looking pissed about everything.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 18, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

This is the same Mike Wise that said DC hasn't had a superstar talent since Mark Rypien right? I'm pretty sure he overlooked a couple of guys like Ovechkin, Kolzig, and to a lesser extent Jagr.

Posted by: FS | January 18, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I thought Scoop hated all white people.

Posted by: Marc | January 18, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm also pretty sure that Mark Rypien and Superstar should not be used together.

Posted by: Kim | January 18, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I've had the displeasure of associating with Feldy at my former place of employ...always thought he was a bit of a schmuck. Aldridge and others treated me like a human being, Feldy seemed to think I would enjoy staying after closing to serve his needs.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Feldy look like a bloated version of Jeff Garcia?

Posted by: Marc | January 18, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow, bad day out there. I have nothing but love in my heart for Dave Feldman. As for Scoop, during the crush to approach Gilbert, which was as crush-like last night as at any point I've seen, Scoop was the most polite person around. So there.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 18, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure he's a great guy, I just had a couple of not so great encounters with Redman.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure they're fine people. I just heard that somewhere on the ebays. So it must be somewhat true.

Posted by: Marc | January 18, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Is Wise a 7-footer, or is Scoop just 4-foot-3?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

1. I'm writing in because Steinberg doesn't actually think I read his blog. I do. In fact, I scan religiously for MY name.

2. I'd rather somebody attack me for not putting Ovechkin in the superstar conversation than taking on one of the most real and good-hearted guys in the business, Dave Feldman. Where does it say in the blog guidelines it's OK to anonymously blast a guy? And besides, Feldy would be the first to admit he was wrong -- if he was. Trust me. Call him up and work out your issues with him.

Posted by: mike wise | January 18, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Wise reads your blog? So much for his New Yorker subscription.

Posted by: ralph from silver spring | January 18, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Mike- I'm not here to bash anybody not named Jess Kersey. It's just that the two times I met Dave in the past he a couple of comments that struck me as rude. If you and Dan are both vouching for him with such fervor as to join the commentocracy then I believe he's a good guy. If/when I see him at some point in the future I'll hold no ill will.

I too commented on Zeke's (or was it JJ's) defensive revelation, everybody else seemed somewhat surprised that he was the first coach to crack that code.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The list of Bog celebrity commenters grows. Now if we could only get Tony K. to post something here.

Posted by: Marc | January 18, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I hear he prefers page 2

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

i read this blog like i visit wizard locker rooms...and its t korn not tony k, why? ask domanik williams and #8 laker jerseys

Posted by: t korn | January 18, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Wise,

Unsilent Majority isn't anonymous. He's been spamming Dan all morning with his name and address in hopes of getting an Arenas poster.

I may have started the Feldman bashing, but I didn't mean to. It just always looks like he's a cranky pants. Every time I see him I think "Hey, there's Feldman, I should shake his hand." Then I look at him, and he's scowling.

Now that I think about it, maybe he's doing that to fend off people like me. So I take back everything. He's not cranky, he's a genius.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 18, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

You guys do know they are giving out these posters by the thousands correct? If you are a student (or have access to a student ID) you could have attended the game for a mere $10, poster included. If I knew everybody wanted them I would have collected some before the game to put on the ebays. That way they wouldn't be covered with Dan's bacon grease.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 18, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I was starting to get that vibe.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Feldman&Wise best act in town!

Yes,BOG is second-ha!

Some advice for Unsilent Majority-silence yourself fast!!!

Posted by: WGDC- | January 19, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse