Meet Your New Nats: Tony Womack

For whatever reason (possibly related to his career .317 OBP), the signing of Tony Womack did not bring joy to the land of Nats bloggers. Capitol Punishment uses 26 question marks to discuss the move. Federal Baseball notes that "while Womack is a pretty bad baseball player, at least he can hook up with a pretty bad baseball team. So there's some symmetry there." The Beltway Boys predict that he will be "this year's version of Marlon Anderson" (that's not a good thing). Nationals Enquirer posits that Womack will "be a prime candidate for the essential position of BGWMFA: "Bench Guy Who Makes Fans Angry."

I swear, this was the only WaPo-approved Womack photo I could find. (Kathy Willens - AP)

All of which makes me think that this would be an appropriate time to take a look at this dated petition from Yankees fans concerning Tony Womack. While the petition only got 654 signatures, including some from Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, George Costanza, Karim Garcia, Simon Cowell and Ryan Seacrest, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that maybe he wasn't a fan favorite in the Bronx:

To: George Steinbrenner, Owner, New York Yankees Baseball Club; Brian Cashman, General Manager New York Yankees Baseball Club; Joe Torre, Field Manager, New York Yankees Baseball Club

We, the undersigned baseball fans, hereby request that Anthony Darrell "Tony" Womack be immediately removed from the lineup of the New York Yankees Baseball Club of the American League, and be either limited to pinch-running or traded to another Baseball Club, preferably in the Yankees' own division, for anything the other team may offer, including, but not limited to, inanimate objects that may or may not be related to the playing of baseball games or the maintenance of baseball fields (example: bags of baseball, bats, or manure), and that he be replaced in left field and the lineup by a player who gets on base and hits for power at an acceptable level.

In happier news, check out this Womack quote from the NY Daily News last Spring, concerning his stint with the Yanks, who he claimed "held me back."

When the Yanks struggled last season, GM Brian Cashman and Joe Torre tried to shake things up by moving Womack from second base to the outfield and calling up Cano; Womack didn't last long as an everyday outfielder and ended up as a pinch-runner. He hit .249 while appearing in 108 games.

"The only thing that makes me mad is it messes up my baseball card," Womack said. "I was consistent for a long time and then that comes up. It was a learning experience for me. I'm a stronger person. I had to be. I had to bite my tongue a lot. I had to keep myself going and make sure I got my work in."

Messes up his baseball card. Awesome.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 19, 2007; 10:41 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know
Next: Tough Juice Campaign Gets T-Shirts

Comments

And yet he's still as good as Christian Guzman

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 19, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Less Womack. More Gil.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted by: AV | January 19, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

This reminds me of my character's favorite line from my epic 1996 film "The Rock"

"Womack! Why am I not surprised? You piece of s**t!"

Posted by: Sean Connery | January 19, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't want to be in Manny Acta's shoes.

How do you decide between Tony Womack and Robert Fick?

Posted by: Kim | January 19, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I didn't think Marlon Anderson was so bad. He was pretty clutch and made the solid plays offensively - Wasn't that exactly why the Dodgers traded for him?

Posted by: Prophet | January 19, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I guess you're right Prophet. Well, it's not a great thing to be this year's Marlon Anderson, anyhow. Maybe it's an ok thing.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 19, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

As a long time Padre fan, I've seen this approach before. Jettison most of your high-salary players, sign average to below average utility players and other assorted cast-offs in hopes they have a serviceable season, and then fill out the rest of your roster with AAA ballplayers.

And then use one or more of the following lines:

"We'd love to have [insert star's name] play for us, but in the market we're in, it doesn't make sense for us to sign a player to that kind of contract."

"[Insert average player's name] had a very good year [two/three/sixteen] years ago and we think he's capable of putting up those kind of numbers again."

"We've always liked [insert below average utility player's name] and we believe that he could be a very good player if given the chance to start on an everyday basis."

"Players such as [insert several AAA-quality ballplayer's names] are the future of this franchise and we're going to give them the opportunity prove themselves at the Major League level."

As a stop-gap measure, this approach is fine for a year or two. However, if the ownership and the GM are still using lines like these the season AFTER the new ballpark opens, then things are going to be brutal all the way around.

Posted by: Reader Glenn | January 19, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh joy. The Nats went and signed darrin jackson's mirror image. Can't get on base. Has no power and has been dogged by questionable attitude. Yep, a real positive "me first" addition to a team that needs all of the classy vets it can sign.

Posted by: leetee1955 | January 19, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Can't you all see the logic behind these signings? They all clearly fit into our long-term vision for this ball club, and really, that's what this whole off-season has been about. So we didn't spend a dime on any decent-to-mediocre free agents. We did spend many dimes on many players that other teams weren't smart enough to sign. The Womack signing is just one more example of my superior intellect and baseball knowledge.

Posted by: The Bowden | January 19, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey the Nats moved a grumpy Soriano from second to the outfield and we saw how that worked out...

Posted by: jhorstma | January 19, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Nats blogs, anybody know what happened to Ball-Wonk? He was hilarious.

Posted by: JJ | January 19, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Tony Womack? Why not just sign Tom Wopat?

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 19, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse