More on Caron's Shot

But first, here's the definitive word on the perpetual dissatisfaction of sports fans. I swear it's all true. After I finally left the VC last night, forsaking Mike Wise's offer to join the cool kids at Clyde's, I ran into a gent asking for spare change outside Chipotle. We started chatting about the Wizards. I pointed out that they were on a roll.

"If they get Kevin Garnett...." the guy said. "Might have to trade Jamieson for him, though."

Perfect. The home team has just provided thrills and chills and Beverly Sills. Three buzzer beaters in their last five home games. More excitement than you could possibly expect out of an entire season. They continue to flirt with first place. And the guy bumming for change outside the arena wants to mix things up by trading the biggest character guy on the team.

Anyhow, here are some post-game thoughts. Please watch 'til the end, when you get to hear Caron speak of his swag, although SLAMOnline would accuse me of burying this joke, which might be fair. And if you're wondering why he's kind of slurring his speech, it's because he has a chewed-up straw in his mouth.

Editor: Jonathan Forsythe - washingtonpost.com, Reporter: Dan Steinberg - The Post

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 18, 2007; 11:44 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Washington: Best Team in the Area?
Next: Another Clutch, Clutch Wizards Shot

Comments

Oh wow, on the ride home my cabbie kept talking about the Antawn/Stackhouse trade...he seems to think that was a mistake.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Was the guy asking for change Wes Unseld?

Posted by: Marc | January 18, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

So I was thinking about the Kwame Brown story today, and I came to this conclusion:

Posted by: bryc3 | January 18, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Who is Jamieson? I know we have Antawn Jamison. Maybe this new Jamieson guy can help with our interior defense and if we can get Minnesota to take him for Garnett, then they are dumber than you.

Posted by: dean | January 18, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Garnett for Jameson. I don't think this trade would make much sense for the Wizards right now. For me this is more an issue of personal relationship than it is basketball wisdom. I just think when 'Twan came to the District, he brought with him intagibles that don't appear in the stat sheet every night. Besides, it would be a pity to send 'Twan somewhere else now that he is beginning to enjoy the fruit of his labors. Additionally, after the Wiz were defeated by the Cavs last year, 'Twan was among those who said that if the Wizards didn't go deep into the postseason, then Ernie would be justified in breaking up the team. So unless someone offers the Wiz a sweetheart deal, they should stick with the status quo.

Besides, Blatche is a Garnett in waiting if only Eddie would play him more and let him become the beast that he is.

Posted by: melwdc | January 18, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Jamison trade for Garnett? Please, I am no GM, but that is why everyone else out there who beleives this would be the trade to take the Wizards to the next level are not GMs; they are fans.

As a fan, not a GM, that would be a dumb trade for the Wizards rights now for a number of reasons to long to write about.

Blatche is our Kevin Garnett and possibly more if he continues to grow and gets beyond the rookie mistakes or trying to do too much when he is on the floor.

The Wizards are already at thr next level and when we get Etan, Songalia, and Ruffin at full strength our interior/front court defense will improve; and our points off the bench will improve with Songalia bringing his 10-15 foot jumper to the floor.

All the Wizards need is to begin playing defense with a passion and purpose (swag) and they play offense.

Go Wizards!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

OK, first, cut me a slice of the cake that melwdc is eating. Now, any postgame comments about Gilbert, DeShawn and Caron's sweaters? Finally, I was once riding the NYC subway when a panhandler came by asking for change. One passenger offered him his leftover Chinese food. "What is that, chicken and broccoli? No thanks." Only in New York

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 18, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I love Andray more than most but you guys are out of your damn minds.

"Blatche is our Kevin Garnett and possibly more"

come on man...

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

real men wear pink!

Posted by: littles | January 18, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The Garnett for Jamison trade is ridiculous, although Antawn's deal is up soon, right? So maybe it could be a cap relief thing? And this is McHale we're talking about. Dude isn't exactly savvy.

But it will never happen. The rest of the league has DirecTV, and they're just as familiar with Antawn's faults as the rest of the armchair GM's.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 18, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

DeShawn looked like he was dressed for Gil's party. Styling.

Posted by: Marc | January 18, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

They couldn't trade Jamison for Garnett straight up, could they? Isn't there a fairly large difference in salary, Garnett is over $20 Mil isn't he?

It would help address a glaring weakness but Jamison doesn't punch his teammates, and I bet they like it that way.

Blatche = Garnett is insane. I like him, but...no.

Posted by: Prophet | January 18, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Antawn's pullin' down around 15 his own self.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 18, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Several thoughts on cake throwers et al:

1) I'd rather have Jermain O'neal than KG _ JO would be a better fit - if we can get close to the promised land (say to the conf finals) - he may want to come to try and get a ring

2) I like Antawn - he's a good guy, and deserves to complete the year and see what he can do - but we need someone to defend in the paint and he's our only real trade bait - let's see what he can do this year and then if we lose early on, then it's time for a change

3) can we resign Deshawn next year??? can we afford him? He's a great piece to the puzzle....definately a trade up from Jared J, who couldn't even complete his layups.

4) As for the cake - my guess is KB had a few too many and had the munchies, but when he found out the cake was chocolate and that it didn't have his name on it he became angry...the point is, he was trying to punish the cake, not it's former owner.

Posted by: clockwork Grape | January 18, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

bryc3 writes: "If Kwame stole my cake and threw it at me, I'd be bitter. But if Caron stole my cake and threw it at me, I'd immediately call everyone I knew to brag about it. If that's not the final word on that trade, I don't know what is."

I just felt this needed to be repeated!

Now, on the sweater/style thing, ahem, gents, move aside and let me dish:

1. Caron
2. Antonio
3. Gilbert

In that order. Caron (who has said it's with the help of his wife) dresses just perfectly. And that little bit of pink is perfect -- pink is in again in the dress-up preppy set. Check out Brooks Brothers. A little bit of radical color in an otherwise staid ensemble rocks.

Antonio. Dresses appropriately all the time. Which is to his age. Which is a little older.

Gilbert: Dresses fine, but a little young. Do like the sweater look. There are, in fact, several different argyle sweaters with different size diamonds but all in the same color scheme. I'm thinking that he bought them in some late night infomerical? Nah, they're wonderful and adultish. Caron says Gilbert gets style advice from him. If this is true to any extent, Gilbert should make it more true to more extent in the future. Gilbert should go just a smidgeon more formal.

Washington, DC: very little fashion. Important bureaucrats competing to look more staid than the last. Throw into that mix a playoff-bound NBA team that's warming to the dress code and whattaya got? Some interesting style for Washington.

Posted by: Nancy | January 18, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

We were just being nice with the Clydes invite and look what it did got us into the BOG-ha!!!

Posted by: WGDC- | January 19, 2007 1:19 AM | Report abuse