Nook Logan Likes the Cowboys
Nook Logan, making an early bid to become a Bog favorite, tells us the following things:
1) His favorite NBA team is "wherever Iverson is. That's my dude. He's been my dude since he played at Georgetown, even though I was a Carolina basketball fan. Iverson's always been my dude."
2) So I asked why he likes Carolina.
"I have a team when I'm young and I stick with 'em," he explained, "Cowboys, Carolina...."
3) Whoa, I interrupted. Hello? The Cowboys? You can't be a fan favorite in D.C., while playing in RFK no less, and claim to be a Cowboys fan.
"Yeah I can," Nook said.
I mean, that's twice in a week, after we recently learned that D.C. United draft pick Jay Needham is also a Cowboys fan. I mean, who's next? Adrian Fenty? The quarterback of the D.C. Divas?
Although we were then able to break the Parcells news to Nook. He swore, softly.
4) Seeking to become the most polarizing figure in the Washington sports market, Nook offered this thought on the Redskins: "They're the best team on paper in the offseason."
5) Also, with Nook being an ardent Carolina fan, I feared this might impact his relationship with peerless Official Nats Beat Writer Barry Svrluga, a Duke grad. The two guys seemed to smooth over that little problem this afternoon by trading memories of Duke-Carolina games from yesteryear. Although Nook is now calling Barry "Jay Bilas." Seriously.
6) Nook received many phone calls earlier this month, asking if he was going to Gilbert's 25th birthday party (he didn't). Nook, Mike O'Connor and Manny Acta will all be going to tomorrow's Suns-Wizards game (building the buzz). Nook already saw the Wiz play at Houston this year.
Nook on Gilbert: "He's been sick, he just didn't get the same recognition. He's been like that, though. He's just always been the second-tier guy to somebody, even when he played at Arizona."
7) Nook on why he knows so much about every sport: "That's what I do, I sit at home all day and watch."
8) Nook on whether he really had a shot at basketball stardom: "Everyone where I'm from knew I had a shot. Then I got to high school, and it didn't work out that way. I don't know, I just didn't get the same publicity as I did in baseball. On the baseball side I had a high school coach that supported me a whole lot; he saw stuff in me that I didn't see. When I was younger my little league coach that got me started...always told me I would be a baseball player and not a basketball player. I didn't believe him."
January 22, 2007; 1:09 PM ET
Categories: Nats , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Manny Acta For Second Grade Teacher of the Year
Next: On Manny Acta's Prospects as an Elementary School Teacher
Posted by: Brandon Watson | January 22, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chris | January 22, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Prophet | January 22, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Prophet | January 22, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: the cheat | January 22, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.