Ranking the Weekend's Events

So all these people, including Bog pseudo-friend Michael Rosenberg, are already asking whether Colts-Pats was the best game ever. My response is this: would I really have been switching to the technically-troubled Comcast SportsNet so frequently, in a vain hope that I'd be able to watch a regular season hoops game between Maryland and Virginia Tech, if the best NFL playoff game ever was showing at the same time? And if it were the best game, shouldn't CBS have been running a little ticker telling us that, so I would have stopped flipping to ESPNews for updates on the Maryland score? Anyhow, here are my rankings of the best sporting events ever, with "ever" being limited to things I happened to watch or listen to over the past two days.

1) Colts-Pats. I guess, just because everyone else loved it so much. My favorite part, and I suspect the favorite part of many viewers, was the way Belichick kept "clutch[ing] the collar of his gray sweat shirt," as the AP put it. More like, "maniacally yanking down the front of his gray sweat shirt, in an effort to appear completely deranged and also to show viewers the top of his chest." Very, very odd behavior. My second favorite part was when Jim Nantz, I believe, told all the Peyton doubters how wrong we were. Of course, he waited until the game was over to tell us that. Bold move, Jim. My third favorite part was wondering whether Bill Simmons will write 7,000 columns on the Tom Brady face.

2) ODU-VCU. Here was an Atlantic 11 matchup I was actually able to see, and it was great fun. VCU's Eric Maynor is a player. VCu is real decent. I got a message from a Poll voter during the game wondering whether ODU Coach Blaine Taylor looks a bit like Saddam Hussein's brother. We eventually agreed that Blaine Taylor looks more like Blaine Taylor. VCU won. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams get a first-place vote or two in today's poll.

3) Mason-Northeastern. I watched only brief snippets, during which Mason was outscored by something like nine points. Which means the Patriots outscored Northeastern by something like 34 points when I wasn't watching. Also, I think the gold unis are horrid. Just an utter mistake. I much prefer the Wizards' new gold-and-blacks. Also, Will Thomas doesn't really miss. I think he's shooting like 85 percent from the field.

4) Wiz-Celtics. How many times will the margin be within one point, the shot clock be turned off, and the ball be in Gilbert's hands at the top of the key? I mean, that scenario has happened in like four out of the past seven home games. Crazy. If he hit that shot at the end of regulation Saturday night, I would have recommended he immediately retire. Wouldn't possibly get any better than that. The miss was odd, and deflating, and the win in overtime didn't entirely make up for that. Both Unsilent Majority and Big Daddy Drew were at the game.

5) Maryland-Va. Tech. Was I the only one whose TV alternated between "unstable signal" or "no signal," in little green type, throughout nearly the entire second half? It was maddening. Local No. 1 vs. Local No. 2, and I couldn't watch. Here's hoping Local Poll voters Adam Kilgore and Patrick Stevens made it home safely. And I can't help but wonder how far Local No. 2 Maryland will fall after consecutive Atlantic 11 losses. Personally, I have them at No. 6 in the area. Ouch.

Also, go here to watch Seth Greenberg being interviewed while working out.

6) Bears-Saints. I missed the first quarter due to a baby shower in my honor. A colleague wrote me a nice message about this confluence of events, in which he made less-than-flattering and completely unprintable remarks concerning portions of my anatomy. Very progressive.

7) GW-Charlotte. I listened on the radio. Did anyone else notice that the feed went out for something like five crucial minutes late in the second half? I mean, that's two big local hoops games I was robbed from enjoying, within a span of two days, due to technical difficulties. Eventually the dulcet-throated Byron Kerr came back on the air, although it sounded like he was calling the game into his cell phone. While the feed was out, we got to hear about 43 consecutive Washington Post radio promos. Because there's always more to the story.

8) West Virginia-Villanova women. I don't know why I watched so much of this game, but I did. Great second half for West Virginia. Big win. In fact, I found this more enjoyable than...

9) Cincinnati-West Virginia men. Except for the part where Mick Cronin went berserk. That was cool.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 22, 2007; 9:46 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know
Next: Nats Caravan Kicks Off

Comments

You missed the best event of all - Arsenal scoring twice in the final 10 minutes to beat Manchester United yesterday. Riveting.

Posted by: DC | January 22, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

CSN was unstable/no signal for me as well, is RCN the official Sports Bog cable company or was this more widespread?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm going with Arsenal over ManUre as my top weekend sports event. Second being Don Cherry's Coaches Corner especially the bit about Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan. Third is UofA losing again (sorry Agent Zero). Canucks-Sabres was a good game until the stupid shootout. And I didn't watch any of that other stuff.

Posted by: Kim | January 22, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Totally agree about the Gunners' win as the top sporting event of the weekend. :) It was the weekend for guys who have been known as BGBs -- Peyton Manning and Thierry Henry. :)

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

First, CBS need not run a ticket to tell you to watch the game. They stamp a HUGE AFC Championship Game logo right on the field. That's good enough for the rest of us.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the baby shower wasn't held "in your honor". Unless the gifts included strange hats and wheels of unidentifiable cheese. Anyway, the first quarter was the one to miss. Well timed.

Posted by: Sonny | January 22, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

gonna have to go with united - gunners as well.

also, gilbert not hitting a big three to win the game. i was crushed for the rest of the night. i just left the bar and the entire cold walk home i wondered how i could live in a world where gilbert doesnt hit the DAGGER to win it.

Posted by: Ed Lee | January 22, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Second top sporting event: Liverpool over Chelsea?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Thierry is not a choker in the Premier League, only on the international stage. My big moment of the weekend was Uruguay's dismantling of Colombia in the sub-20 South American championship to take a two point lead in the final group phase going into a key game against Brasil tomorrow.

Posted by: Chris | January 22, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Vote for worst event of the weekend, in a landslide, the Caps getting manhandled at home by the Panthers. What a terrible way to spend 2 and a half hours on Saturday.

Posted by: JP | January 22, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

people throw around superlatives like "best game ever" as often as G. Arenas makes buzzer beating shots.

Posted by: pete | January 22, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

it was also a little nice to see freddy score 2 against panama in a meaningless match in the u-20s...

poor man u. ha ha!

Posted by: fever | January 22, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I haven't been reading much of the coverage yet. Is anyone pointing out that the go-ahead touchdown the Colts scored also allowed them to cover? The Post had the Colts laying 3.5 yesterday.

No problems with CSN that I noticed yesterday, watching bits and pieces on DirecTV. And it was snowing outside, to boot.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 22, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The best non-event was Russ Grimm's brief time as head coach.

Posted by: Reader Glenn | January 22, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Comcast SportsNet was hosed during part of the second half on Comcast cable in Reston as well.

Funny, I thought they were raising my rates to provide improved and exciting new services.

Posted by: JoshC | January 22, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The best event was when the American U. radio color commentator noted that the Eagles could use the "unofficial poll" in the Washington Post as motivation for Wednesday's matchup against Navy.

Posted by: Everett W. | January 22, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

JP, you want a worse Saturday? Sit through the Caps game, then drive up to Hershey to see the kids blow a 2 goal lead and lose in a shootout to the Bridgeport Soundtigers. Two loses are greater than one.

Posted by: FS | January 22, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Wait, who's the AU color commentator? Is it a poll voter? That's great.

Yeah, RCN it is for me. And yeah, the shower was for my wife and I together, and we received zero cheese.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 22, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The AU color commentator is named Jeremy Huber. I heard him mention the "unofficial poll" during the post-game show of last Saturday's broadcast.

Posted by: Everett W. | January 22, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Arenas didn't hit the shot from the top of the key -- he was to the right somewhat, where the Celtics steered him. He's hit too many of those shots from straight away, so other teams aren't going to give him that look in those circumstances.

Posted by: Tyrone Slothrop | January 22, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

WGDC posted @ Wiz./Celtics too!!!

Evidently, you missed your colleague Wilbon on ABC for Heat/Mavs. on Sunday...

Posted by: WGDC- | January 23, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse