Steve Czaban Hates Bloggers

(Programming note: Reader Dan D. correctly notes that I should be writing nothing but Suns-Wizards all day today, so I'll try to start that train in a few minutes. But first, Steve Czaban.)

So Steve Czaban was doing his "I'm so done with..." segment this morning, which is usually the sort of thing that fills me with hope and optimism, carrying me joyously through my morning tour of the regional newspapers of Virginia.

Yo Steve, if no one cares about blogs why do so many of my posts have between 1 and 3 comments? That would seem to indicate literally dozens of readers.

But this is one of the things Steve Czaban was so done with this morning:

"I'm so done with newspaper stories that quote 'blogs' or 'Internet chat rooms,' as if those opinions mean something....Who cares? It's a blog, people."

Yeah. Tell 'em, Steve. Who cares about blogs? I mean, what sort of medium could possibly support itself on the use of random, self-selecting contributors from the world at large, who would like very much to sound off on the world of sports, regardless of whether they have any particular credentials or anything particularly interesting to say? Frankly, who would even want to work in such a medium? That's sick. Also, bloggers stomp on puppies, and think Steve Nash and Bill Belichick are cool.

(Note: within the next 60 seconds of this radio program, Bog friend and Czaban sidekick Scott Linn was citing "our friend Stike in D.C." on the air. I can't remember exactly who "Stike in D.C." is, but I know he e-mails me sometimes. Stike, are you out there? Imagine that, a strangely named anonymous e-mailer finding his way onto sports talk radio. Shocking. You could probably make a "Who cares?" argument about "Stike in D.C.," but I like Stike, so I won't.)

(Btw, Cold Pizza continues to feature Bog friend Mister Irrelevant, which might or might not validate Czabe's claim that the opinions of bloggers should be disregarded.)

(Also, I might have some stupendously ridiculous news featuring the use of hat-wearing know-nothing bloggers on television within the next few days.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 23, 2007; 9:57 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know
Next: Can Gilbert Dribble With His Feet?

Comments

Czaban is just scurrred that their are other people out there with a valid opinion on sports.

Posted by: R.G. | January 23, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Come on Agent Steinbog you had one post that got like 60 comments one time. If DCU stopped shipping all your Bog fodder away more Celebrity parents would read and comment. Your dozens and dozens of readers are high quality.

Posted by: Marc | January 23, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

hate is manifested from hate for oneself. czaban hates that he knows nothing about blogs and probably nothing about computers at all. that being said, i dont mind the guy.

Posted by: pete | January 23, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The blogs on here are the only good part left of the Washington Post.

Posted by: G-W-U | January 23, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Czabe sounds like "he's so done with" his own show each morning. That said, I like him.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | January 23, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Pete, Czaban writes his own blog and he writes for OnMilwaukee.com so I think you might be a touch off-base with that assertion.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That being said, Czaban is wrong and the whole bit was probably just filler for the 8 hours a day he spends on the radio.

Some blogs actually have sources and credentials and the whole deal!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Future of the printed sports word"

Posted by: Wilbon, Michael | January 23, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Czaban obviously also hates Rogaine, but it works for lots of other people.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 23, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

See I told you High quality commenters. UM and Mr. Irrelevant.

Posted by: Marc | January 23, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Steve Czaban is an a$$

Not the most intelligent comment out there, but true none-the-less.

Posted by: g | January 23, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Good God, NOOOOOOOOOOO! Wilbon's posting here?!? Wash it off, wash it off,wash it - wait...did he just post something I agree with? Unh... paradigms...(gasp) ... crumbling.....

Posted by: grotus | January 23, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

BogTV?

It's now becoming a multi-media sensation! Well, depending on your definition of sensation.....or, apparently, media.

Posted by: Kim | January 23, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

does he actually type it himself? or is it ghost blogged?

Posted by: pete | January 23, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Consider this, the 13th response to this entry by my count, validation of the blog as media source/outlet.

Posted by: Sherm | January 23, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have put a # total in my response. Bloggers CAN count, they just can't post fast enough to validate their own response.

Posted by: Sherm | January 23, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Steve Czaban Hates Bloggers

Everyone Hates Steve Czaban

Posted by: Kev | January 23, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Now that Steve Czaban hates my favorite form of media, I feel so irrelevant. I hate you Steve Czaban.

Posted by: Dave | January 23, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Are you people all insane?

His point isn't that far off, 99% of blogs have no place being quoted or cited as a news source by the mainstream media. He's not saying he hates blogs, he's saying they are typically crappy sources on which to base an article...which is quite true.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The Czabe may not be the patron saint of the blogosphere but he's certainly no enemy.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Wait, so my headline was innacurate?

Hey, I was just joking, didn't mean to bring out the Czabe haters. Just thought it was funny that someone who works in talk radio--a medium that lives and dies on the random musings of random people--would take a shot at media members using the random musings of random people, if that makes sense.

Anyhow, UM, what's with you being the voice of reason? That's not like you.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 23, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Plus, you'll note that I linked to Czabe's blog. That was one of those hilarious link-jokes. Oh well.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 23, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It's pretty easy to be the voice of reason in a crowd that takes Czaban's comment to mean that he hates blogs.

Plus, Czabe has shown KSK some love in the past.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon's quote (from last week's Chat House) was a "ghost blog" from me - but it was a direct quote.
And yes Dan, I for one savored the irony of the Czaban blog link.

Posted by: jhorstma | January 23, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Of course your jestful headline might have had something to do with that.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh, now I get it.

Very funny.

I'm not really a Czaban-hater, just here for the comments.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 23, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I would respect what Czaban had to say more if he knew anything about any sport other than college basketball or golf... Not that I have anything against college basketball or golf, it's just that there are other sports out there. Is there anything worse than Czabe stammering on about "his Nats" for two minutes, just long enough to show that he wouldn't know a left fielder from a linebacker?

Posted by: C. Stone | January 23, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I feel it should be noted that Blog Hater Steve Czaben....has a blog! Its right there on his website, http://www.czabe.com/daily/. Oh the irony.

-Jake
citizenjake.com (I've got a blog too!)

Posted by: Jake | January 23, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

link jokes are funny only for people who click on the link ... I did ... and that was hysterical ...

Posted by: littles | January 23, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, F Czaban. He's a hack. All he does is talk about his gambling addiction while he is on the air. Plus, he only focuses on 3 sports, Football, basketball, and golf. There are more sports out there than those 3. (I personally like the first two, but not the third.)

Posted by: Blackaces | January 23, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Steve Czaban simply hates everything, and simply rotates his "hate announcements" so it sounds like he's using fresh material.

I already know he hates Caps fans on the whole, specifically the ones on the internet.

Posted by: Goat | January 23, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Jake, less time blogging, more time reading

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse