Tough Juice Campaign Gets T-Shirts

Well, I guess yesterday's questions about the lack of a Tough Juice campaign have been answered by the following developments.

1) Our friends at the Washington Times chose today to launch their 1,500-word Caron Butler profile, the second Butler feature story in a week to mention that he chews straws. The story also goes through the origins of "Tough Juice."

The "Tough Juice" thing was a collaborative effort. The way Jordan tells it, he was explaining to his team during practice how they needed to be able to take some physical contact and not react to all the calls. Then Butler responded: "Yeah, some of us need to drink some tough juice."

"OK, Tough Juice, that's what we have to do," Jordan said he recalled saying.

A nickname, and a marketing campaign, were born. Butler said Nike's "doing some things" with it, and "Tough Juice" will be the name of his basketball camp.

What "things," I wonder?

2) As mentioned previously, there is a RealGM thread on this topic. Which was started, like, three years ago. Sorry for being late to the party.

Tough Juice T-Shirt No. 1. (From the Mothering Hut)

3) The Wizznutzz have finally broken out a Tough Juice t-shirt, which is possibly the best t-shirt ever made.

4) [Edit: She! Not he! Sorry 'bout that.]

I got an e-mail from longtime (?) Caron Butler fan Galit Gilor, writing from Quebec City. She made a Tough Juice shirt of her own and wore it to the Wiz-Raptors game, although she said no one noticed. She also said she's previously declared 2007 "The year of the Tough Juice."

As a side note, what's with all these Wiz fans in Canada? Is it because Canada and the Wiz are both weak on defense? Should we start calling No. 33 Eh-wood? Are there any other cheap Canadian jokes I could make?

Seriously, Mutoni, where are you? I need an explanation.

Tough Juice T-Shirt No. 2. (Courtesy Galit Gilor)

5) Unrelated, but Luke Walton talks of Gilbert in an SI interview:

Once he snuck into our room and stole the lightbulbs. We thought the electricity was out and we called the maintenance guy. He comes in and he's like, You guys have no lightbulbs. Then Gilbert came running down the hallway laughing.

Thanks to both Unsilent and TheHype for the link, and TheHype revisits Luke's soap-opera turn.

And while I linked to this Gil profile the other day, apparently I read over the best part:

Arenas is a noted prankster, both in college and the pros, but especially when he was a 17-year-old UA freshman.

Arenas said his all-time favorite prank occurred that year when fellow freshman and roommate Gardner was taking a shower in Navajo-Pinal Residence Hall, where they lived.

There was a rule that stated that anyone caught in the dorm when the fire alarm went off got what Arenas said was around a $1,500 fine from the fire marshal. Gardner was showering one day when Arenas took the guard's clothes out of the bathroom, locked the door and set off the fire alarm.

"So he had to go outside or he was going to get caught," Arenas said. "It was just hilarious. You could just see him walking around, holding himself, and it was just hilarious."

6) Alan Hahn of Newsday drops this in his blog yesterday:

Would it bother you as readers and fans if you happened to see someone you know who covers the NBA for a prominent national media outlet finish an interview with a star player by giving him a hug and saying, "You know I'm your boy, right?"

This is probably just a random photo with no meaning. (By Sports Bog)

Speaking from the heart, my answer to that question is No. I know the J-School rules are don't get too close blah blahy blah, but c'mon, The Post sends Michael Wilbon to write columns on the Bears. And, as I often remind myself when I try to get enough motivation to roll out of bed in the morning for another day of breaking all-star game coverage, we're writing about guys and balls and nets; who cares about objectivity? I mean, how is the world worse if, say, I were to hug James Lang and tell him I was his boy.

Anyhow, I honestly don't know who said this or when he said it, but if I were into guessing games I might post the picture you see above. Seriously, though, I didn't hear that line and for all I know the media member in question was Mike Wise and the player in question was Eddy Curry, and in any case, I have no problems with the line in question, etc etc etc.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 19, 2007; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meet Your New Nats: Tony Womack
Next: Gilbert in College: Two Pairs of Socks

Comments

-2 for the Eh-wood joke.

Posted by: Harrison | January 19, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Ordered my Tough Juice earlier this morning, it will keep the '98 Bench and Bullets Fever company in my Wizards t-shirt drawer with the Free Darko merch.

"Should we start calling No. 33 Eh-wood?"

best line in bog history? yes.

Don't forget Skeets, he's a Canadian who's come around on Gilbert.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 19, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm a "she", not a "he" lol

Posted by: Galit Gilor | January 19, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Not only are those Tough Juice shirts amazing, but so many colors!!! I can't control myself right now.

Posted by: AV | January 19, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I was once engulfed in an enormous and lingering hug from Jahidi White, who told me I was going to be his boy. I'm not going to lie, the world was slightly worse for a while after that.

Posted by: Lamont Trellington | January 19, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

We Canadiastanis have a deep rooted history with Wizards and sorcery.. I hope that explains it..

and heeeeey Ms. Galit Gilor.. Q.C. eh? let's have a cup of coffee and talk defensive matchups, if ya know what I mean (that's exactly what I mean, talking about Eddie Jordan's sub patterns, cuz I'm a stud)

Posted by: TheHype | January 19, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Say Wizznutz - don't suppose you could alter a Strindberg T into a Steinberg T, eh? Btw luv the '98 bench T.

Posted by: Rob Iola | January 19, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Rob, the day the Wizznutzz produce an Agent Steinz T out of the Mothering Hut is the day I cross that line from not-so-casual Bog reader to full-blown stalker. Let's just say there's plenty of room in my t-shirt drawer.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | January 19, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If you hug James Lang and tell him you're his boy, I expect a photo illustration.

4 real.

Posted by: Josh | January 19, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with UM. I even went back for a re-read of the "Eh-wood" joke. Nice.

Posted by: Tha Jones | January 19, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

You don't take yourself seriously enough, Dan. Wilbon thinks getting a game report in on deadline, opining on how good a good athlete is for the 100th time and bullying Joe Gibbs merits hazard pay. Why don't you?

Posted by: Bloinquesters | January 19, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I love this place.

Posted by: J.E. Skeets | January 19, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the correction!!

The Hype, you guys are from Montreal?

Posted by: Galit | January 19, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Galit, if somehow you're still reading this (Steinz, help out!!) the answer is:

OUI, un gros oui! (that's about all the French you'll get out of me... :)

Posted by: TheHype | January 19, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

That's so random! I thought I was one of the only Montrealers that knew about Caron and even the Wizards lol. People here are so oblivious to NBA basketball. I'll make sure to check out your blog!

Posted by: Galit | January 19, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

NBA fan all-star voters are morons.

How the hell can Hedo Turkey-Glue of the Magic have more votes than Tough Juice?

Tough Juice to the All-Star Game.

Posted by: Pineapple | January 20, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Hedo has more votes than Caron? WTF? We need to do something about that.

Posted by: Galit | January 20, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

worse canadian...
mounties heart caron
songalia needs canadian health care
hat trick fever....