What You Need to Know

While being "as nebulous as he could be," Gibbs calls this season the toughest of his career and offers some gobbledygook on hiring a GM. He also plans to "research the offseason" and wage a war" to keep Derrick Dockery and others, and says the last six weeks represented "a big step up" (record: 2-4), while Al Saunders says the next offseason will be "defining." Rick Snider calls for AA, B-Lloyd and Brunell to be cut, and Dan Daly says the biggest problem is that Gibbs still doesn't recognize the problems. Also, Gibbs uses the phrase "knuckle sandwich" and says "we can be criticized for not being smart enough, but not for how hard we work," which might be my new post-vacation mantra. Also, here's a whole mess of stats on the run vs. pass breakdown, and a Howard Bryant opus on Gibbs vs. Saunders.

After Gretzky celebrates a $4k New Year's Eve at Morton's, while presumably in town TO COACH HIS TEAM, the Coyotes dominate the first period and special teams, killing off a 5-on-3 in a 3-2 win. And a Phoenix defenseman wisely points out that "groins are very touchy."

Also, an injured Gilbert says there's a 75 percent chance he'll play tomorrow, and the Wizznutzz world makeover continues on YouTube.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 2, 2007; 9:19 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Hoops Poll Week Four: Change at the Top
Next: Notes From a Sort of Non-Moribund Verizon Center

Comments

Welcome back Steinbog. I was getting the shakes from Bog withdrawal.

Posted by: Marc | January 2, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

LaCa and Bryant made me cry

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 2, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmmmmmmmm Opus One!
What's a guy gotta do to get invited to that table!?

Posted by: Sway | January 2, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmmmmmmmm Opus One!
What's a guy gotta do to get invited to that table!?

Posted by: Sway | January 2, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Steinbog, Are you going to the must win this Thursday against the Habs?

Posted by: CapCrazy | January 2, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I used to have a freind who would complain at every opportunity the excess to which the Redskins and just about every other team in this city are covered, discussed, etc. to death. Thanks to Mr. Steinberg, I fear he may be right.

Of course, special thanks are deserved for the excessive coverage of Les Wiz Kids (an oblique homage to Kornheiser, a REAL sports writer, not a blogger), that also appears in this space.

The question that is on everyone's mond is whether or not our beloved Steinberg can keep this up for another 62 games or will he actually start writing about something topical and/or relevant?

I have no doubt that our intrepid reporter will post some kind of smart-assed response extolling his virtues and suggesting that if I don;t like what he writes that I not read it anymore.

Bring it on, Danny Boy!

P.S. Can't wait for the next idiotic installment of the local college b-ball poll that will rank MD and VA above the Hoyas. And to think, some people assert there is bias in the media...

Posted by: Is Steinberg Overrated? | January 2, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Dude, for me to be overrated I would have to be rated. Also, I would never suggest that if you not like what I write you stop reading it. I would much prefer you not like it but keep reading it. Heck, I don't like it but I keep writing it.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 2, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

It's a blog, with "sports" in the title, and he's in Washington - what else is he supposed to discuss? Also, it's a blog, it's not meant to be read as an article, it's meant to be read (and written) as his own personal thoughts on what he finds interesting about information he can get. There are a bunch of Caps-related blogs doing it just about hockey - or are they wasting their time not "reporting" about something relevant and topical, as opposed to hockey?

And finally, it's a BLOG, it's not a column, it's not an article. Take the address off of your favorites list and move on. I'm sure there's plenty of livejournal, myspace, etc. blogs out there to keep your interest.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 2, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks to active Bullets Forever member Jake the Snake for that video mix found on Gilbertology!

And Dan, it's great to see you back!

-Pradamaster
Bullets Forever
www.bulletsforever.com

Posted by: Pradamaster | January 2, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

And Dan, it's great to see you back!

-Pradamaster
Bullets Forever
www.bulletsforever.com

Posted by: Pradamaster | January 2, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

What is better the ZerOTOWhere Gibert Arenas billboards or the Ovechkin, Do you know #8 ones?

Posted by: CapCrazy | January 2, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Isn't calling Kornheiser a 'sports writer' stretching it?

Posted by: Kim | January 2, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"P.S. Can't wait for the next idiotic installment of the local college b-ball poll that will rank MD and VA above the Hoyas. And to think, some people assert there is bias in the media."

Dude you realize that there are 65 of us that actually rank the teams not just Steinbog, right? And um the Wiz only play 52 more times. But you know I didn't expect a highly rated commenter like yourself who misspelled mind to actually have correct information.

PS. The best stuff Kornheiser ever wrote was for the Style section.

PPS. You are Kornheiser and wish you had this job instead of getting blasted by everyone about MNF. That's cool. I still love you on PTI.

Posted by: Marc | January 2, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Thank God Marc is here to correct my spelling mistakes and show me the way I should be living my life.

Though based on his explanation, I guess there are a number of idiots out there, not just Marc who throws objectivity to the wind and lets decades old regional prejudices impugn his judgement.

Marc, I would expect you, as smart as you are (because God knows you give us SO much evidence to support that notion) that there are many other sports teams in the area and Steinberg's excessive coverage of Les Wiz and the Skins reflects the hopelessly narrow horizons of his experience and/or capibilities.

Three cheers for Marc, whoever he/she is, for showing us all the way to live!!!

Posted by: Is Marc Overrated? | January 2, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Dude,

Dan's only covering the Wiz and Skins because most of the United guys are out of town (or recently traded). When training camp hits in a couple of weeks, we'll be back on the United bandwaggon!

Posted by: Kim | January 2, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

This "overrated" guy is either:

1. A writer at the Post who dislikes/is jealous of Danny boy.

2. A Georgetown grad with no sense of humor (redundant?) who roots for his hometown team (gonna take a wild guess here and say he's a Pats fan) who has extrapolated all this hatred from the fact that someone dares insult Hoya basketball and not talk enough about Tom Brady's manliness.

3. Agent Zero, effing with us all.

Posted by: ES | January 2, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I am extremely overrated.

And I could make some more witty comebacks.. but no.. what's this.. I'm walking away.

Posted by: Marc | January 2, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse