What You Need to Know

In a rare mid-week sellout, the Wiz pull away from the Bulls in the fourth. Gil praises his "supporting cast, earning laughter as Antonio Daniels calls himself Wonder Woman, the Bulls had chances to win and were unhappy with the officiating, and Hinrich calls Gil "a jokester."

Screech is being deemphasized in favor of the Giant Presidents, Frank Robinson feels slighted and is done with Kasten and Bowden, Kasten tries to explain the Frank situation while Nationals Enquirer is highly displeased by all this, the club signs four Dominicans, and Bowden notes that his entire staff will make less than Gil Meche.

Local No. 1 Maryland loses at home to Miami (with Ibekwe seeing a lack of energy, Strawberry seeing a lack of heart, and Gary seeing a butt-kicking on the boards, and the Terps women more than make up for the loss by giving Miami its worst home loss ever); Local No. 3 Va. Tech takes care of UNCG; despite "brilliant guard play," Local No. 4 GW falls at U-Mass and Karl Hobbs talks "rebuilding year" and (shock!) takes a shot at the media; "spunky but flawed" Local No. 5 UVA gets pounded on the glass at UNC ( as one columnist says the Cavs are soft, another says it was a missed chance, and a third says the loss was pretty typical); too-quick Local No. 6 VCU snaps No. 8 W&M's win streak, Local No. 7 ODU crushes my alma mater thanks to Arnaud Dahi (and UD's awfulness), Local No. 9 Navy is running the "Vegas" offense, but this is evidently seedy Vegas (another home loss), Will Thomas is the face of Local No. 10 George Mason (which faces Towson tonight), Richmond gets a win, and James Madison doesn't.

Lawrence Nycholat was too stubborn to quit hockey, and the Caps start their longest road trip against the Lightning, who need to have more babies and have a hurtin' captain.

And Art Monk is a HOF finalist, but this time he has tribute videos and bloggers on his side.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 11, 2007; 11:04 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: You the Man: Someone Call the Academy
Next: Major Bog Public Service: Free Gilbert Donut Posters

Comments

Is Randy Almonte (nationals signee) related to Danny Almonte? I think we should sign him.

Posted by: Grey | January 11, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The entire building was unhappy with the officiating. Violet Palmer is crap and that Pat kid was worse. Bavetta can't seem to control the crappy members of his crews.

AD's 4th quarter performance was transplendant.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 11, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Wait, you were there UM? Why didn't I see you?

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 11, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Have to say that Maryland's (mens) performance last night was one of the worst I've ever seen in 30 years of watching college basketball.

And I watch a lot of A10 games!

Posted by: Kev | January 11, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I've seen the tribute video to Art Monk as was shown on www.hailredskins.com. A fan from that site put it together and mailed it off the the Washington Post's own Len Shapiro.

If Art doesn't make it this go round, it's absolutely criminal.

Posted by: Chico | January 11, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

My poll is shot.

Posted by: Marc | January 11, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

As one voter mentioned - the Maryland womens team should really be #1.

Posted by: Kev | January 11, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

On the womens side, Duke,UMD and UNC are a combined 53-0. Local #1 Lady Terps go to Duke this Saturday, 12:30pm

Posted by: pete | January 11, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

where are all of the pithy comments? it's a free post steiny!

Posted by: AIJ | January 11, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

I have somewhat depressing news regarding the progress of the Take Over. I occassionally tutor at local elementary schools in Richmond and today I got into a discussion with one of the fifth graders about basketball (this happens a lot because I'm 6'4 so they all think I should be in the NBA. Usually I lie and say I can dunk so they like me, but I'm off topic). So conversation goes like this...
Me: Whose your favorite player?
Him: Kobe, Iverson, McGrady, and Carmelo Anthony.
Me: What about Gilbert Arenas?
Him: Who?
Me: Gilbert Arenas. He's my favorite player. Do you like him?
Him: I've never heard of him. Who does he play for?
Me: The Wizards. You're not a Wizards fan?
Him: What number does he wear?
Me: Zero. He's Agent Zero.
Him: (Not Impressed). Is he a rookie?

Ouch.

Posted by: Jon | January 11, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

hey dan! whuddya think about this beckham thing, eh?
should be a wild time when LA comes to rfk.

Posted by: fever | January 11, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

VCU! VCU! VCU!

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 11, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"The entire building was unhappy with the officiating."

I agree. Obvious fouls on both sides were overlooked and there were just the weirdest calls.

Bulls fans are wrong if they think they were the only victims of bad officiating.

GET SOME NEW REFS!!

Posted by: Nancy | January 11, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Hobbs needs to chill when it comes to the media. I thought athletes and bands weren't supposed to read the papers.

Posted by: Andrew from ColonialHoops.com | January 11, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The Football Hall of Fame does not exist until Art Monk is admitted. In fact, they should rename it the Art Monk Football Hall of Fame.

On another topic, the MD-Miami game was incredibly bad. It would be one thing if Miami had come to play, but other than rebounding, they were also awful. The Terps should have blown them out, but instead managed to lose what should have been the easiest game in their ACC schedule.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 11, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Andrew: given the hatchet job the Post did on Hobbs last season with respect to the recruiting issue, he has every right to trash the media at every turn.

Posted by: Joe | January 11, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

The Nats can't "de-emphasize" Screech enough.

Posted by: Kim | January 11, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse